From: D.Duck on
Quicken H & BE 2010 or

I went to add a sell transaction for a security I purchased some time ago.
The security shows in the portfolio view under the Investment tab, but does
not show in the drop down list of securities. It also shows in the
transactions listing as being bought. If I try to enter the name manually
for this new sell transaction, using the exact same name as in the portfolio
or transaction views, the transaction is recorded as a short sale.

The security in question was originally recorded in MS Money and imported
into Quicken along with many others. I have not had a problem with any
others to this point.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks

From: John Pollard on
D.Duck wrote:
> Quicken H & BE 2010 or
>
> I went to add a sell transaction for a security I purchased some time
> ago. The security shows in the portfolio view under the Investment
> tab, but does not show in the drop down list of securities. It also
> shows in the transactions listing as being bought. If I try to enter
> the name manually for this new sell transaction, using the exact same
> name as in the portfolio or transaction views, the transaction is
> recorded as a short sale.
> The security in question was originally recorded in MS Money and
> imported into Quicken along with many others. I have not had a
> problem with any others to this point.

There are some useful pieces of information that are missing from your
problem description.

1.) What drop down lists don't show the security name?

2.) Have you checked the Security List to see if the security is hidden?

3.) What does the "Group by" option in the Portfolio View, where you see
the security, say? Security? Account? Other?

4.) When the Portfolio View "Group by" is Account; does it show that you
have enough shares in the account where you want to enter the Sell
transaction?

5.) Could you have hidden any investment account(s) that might hold shares
of the security in question?

Bottom line: Are you sure you are recording the Sell transaction in the
correct Quicken account?

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help