From: Gary on
I've recently changed my accounts to pay me dividends as income rather
than reinvest it.

If I get a dividend from, say, a Vanguard mutual fund, the transaction
shows up as Dividend Income. When the money is transferred from
Vanguard to my savings account, it is also being categorized as income.

How do I control this? Is there something written that helps me out
of these swamps?

From: Andrew on
Gary wrote:
> I've recently changed my accounts to pay me dividends as income rather
> than reinvest it.
>
> If I get a dividend from, say, a Vanguard mutual fund, the transaction
> shows up as Dividend Income. When the money is transferred from
> Vanguard to my savings account, it is also being categorized as
> income.
> How do I control this? Is there something written that helps me out
> of these swamps?

How is your money being transferred from your Vanguard account to your
savings account? What are you doing to make that happen?

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Keith Snyder on

"Gary" <gary_w1(a)hotline.com> wrote in message
> I've recently changed my accounts to pay me dividends as income rather
> than reinvest it.
>
> If I get a dividend from, say, a Vanguard mutual fund, the transaction
> shows up as Dividend Income. When the money is transferred from Vanguard
> to my savings account, it is also being categorized as income.
>
> How do I control this? Is there something written that helps me out of
> these swamps?

It looks like you are double reporting the same income, once as Vanguard
income, and once again as savings income.

In your Vanguard account, record it as DivX, which means "dividend income
transfered to another account." In the Xfer
field, enter your savings account.

From: John Pollard on
Gary wrote:
> I've recently changed my accounts to pay me dividends as income rather
> than reinvest it.
>
> If I get a dividend from, say, a Vanguard mutual fund, the transaction
> shows up as Dividend Income. When the money is transferred from
> Vanguard to my savings account, it is also being categorized as
> income.
> How do I control this? Is there something written that helps me out
> of these swamps?

You didn't say just where you were looking that you saw the "income" being
double-counted. I suspect that if you looked more, you'd also see the
"income" from the transfer offset by an "expense" of the same amount.
Typically, either both halves of a transfer are present, or neither is
present.

Virtually all reports, and many displays, allow you to control which, if
any, transfers will appear.

On the Advanced tab of most report Customize dialogs is a "Transfers" drop
down that allows you to "Exclude all" transfers from the report.

If you need finer tuning than that, leave Advanced > Transfers set to
"Include all" (or "Exclude Internal", which excludes opening balances and
balance adjustments); then select/de-select the desired "account
categories" on the "Categories" tab in the Customize dialog (the "account
categories" are at the end of the list).

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Andrew on
John Pollard wrote: .....

I guess we'll never know if we helped the OP.

Regards -

- Andrew

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2