From: Beverly Howard on
>> Vista/Win7 drivers <<

hmmm... brings up another possibility...

The winmobile drivers are simply files that associate the device id with
the sync app... The following _might_ address.

Find the CD that came with the device(s) and find WCEUSBSH.INF and (for
XP and above) WCEUSBSH.CAT, copy those to the pc, rightclick the inf
file and select install.

I know it's there for the axim, not sure about the acer.

Additionally, ms "drops" sync support for older devices with each
incarnation of their sync "tool" and that could be a factor as well.

Beverly Howard

From: RDK on
Thanks for the lead. I have tried to search for anything on the web which
might relate to any of these PDA's syncing with Windows 7. Acer does not
even list PDA's on their web site. Dell wants "For Pay" service if I call
or e-mail the issue. Mio is listed on the MS website as in progress - ah
some hope!

Any ideas where I could look for these drivers?

Thanks....RDK

From: RDK on
Beverly....Thanks for the ideas. I will try these tomorrow or Friday. I
know where the Acer CD is, but not sure about the Dell Axim. If I can't find
the Axim CD do you know of another source for the files?

I gather from your reply and Frankster's that the Vista "drivers" will also
work on Windows 7?

Thanks again.....RDK

From: Todd Allcock on
You won't find them. All necessary drivers are supposed to already be a
part of Activesync/WMDC.

RDK might try plugging his devices in (one at a time of course!) and hunting
for them in Device Manager. Hopefully he'll find them listed as "problem"
devices (labeled something like "Windows Mobile USB Device")

Delete the device, unplug it and plug in the next, lather, rinse, repeat,
etc.

Now uninstall WMDC, reboot, reinstall WMDC, and try to connect the devices
again.

If that fails, the pragmatic approach might be to take Bev Howard's advice
and look at sync alternatives. I gave up on AS/WMDC long ago, and sync my
devices' PIM data with Funambol (www.funambol.com), an open source sync
alternative, and my files with Microsoft's Live Mesh, (www.mesh.com) which
allows far more control than the basic and singular "device's My Documents
folder to desktop" option of AS/WMDC - you can specify what folder(s) to
sync, including folders on storage cards, and what folders on the desktop to
map the synced folders to. The fact that both options are wireless is just
a bonus- I can't remember the last time I actually physically connected a WM
device to any of my PCs.

From: Beverly Howard on
>> I gather from your reply and Frankster's that the Vista "drivers"
will also work on Windows 7? <<

no idea... simply thinking out loud.

In general, there is nothing special about the inf file... it is simply
a matching of the device's usb id code to the relevant process... I
would hope that the mobile team was smart enough to match wmdc with
devices that were vended when it was activesync.

Beverly Howard