From: Ray Dawson on
"Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net> wrote:

> "Ray Dawson" <ray(a)raydawson.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I'm new to this forum and would be grateful if anyone can explain this
> > weird situation.
> >
> > I have one contact who can't receive texts from my usual mobile phone
> > and SIM card on T-Mobile. They can receive texts from me if I use a
> > different SIM - which just happens to be Virgin, the same as them. I can
> > receive texts from them on either SIM. I get an acknowledgement from the
> > network that the text has arrived, even though it doesn't appear on
> > their phone.
> >
> > It's not my phone as I have two phones and the T-Mobile SIM won't
> > contact them in either. The Virgin one works in both.
> >

> Virgin use their own SMS server
>
> On which network is the phone you are trying to text, and is it a new
> phone?
>
> It can take time for a network to add new number sequences from another
> network to their server databases. Especially as they often don't tell
> each other about introducing new numbers So they find out when they get
> complaints

The person who can't receive my texts has been on Virgin for many years. I
am on T-Mobile and have been for about 7 months.

They were receiving my texts until about a month ago when they stopped
arriving. Voice calls are still received.

I get the ack to say that the text messages have been delivered. But they
haven't.

I have a Virgin sim on another phone and that works fine to the contact I
can't text from T-Mobile.

Neither Virgin or T-Mobile can find a network problem which would cause
this.

What common phone setting would block texts from one number bit allow voice
calls from that same number?

Cheers,

Ray D
From: Mike P on
Ray Dawson wrote:
> "Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net> wrote:
>
>> "Ray Dawson" <ray(a)raydawson.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I'm new to this forum and would be grateful if anyone can explain
>>> this weird situation.
>>>
>>> I have one contact who can't receive texts from my usual mobile
>>> phone and SIM card on T-Mobile. They can receive texts from me if I
>>> use a different SIM - which just happens to be Virgin, the same as
>>> them. I can receive texts from them on either SIM. I get an
>>> acknowledgement from the network that the text has arrived, even
>>> though it doesn't appear on their phone.
>>>
>>> It's not my phone as I have two phones and the T-Mobile SIM won't
>>> contact them in either. The Virgin one works in both.
>>>

>> Virgin use their own SMS server
>>
>> On which network is the phone you are trying to text, and is it a new
>> phone?
>>
>> It can take time for a network to add new number sequences from
>> another network to their server databases. Especially as they often
>> don't tell each other about introducing new numbers So they find out
>> when they get complaints
>
> The person who can't receive my texts has been on Virgin for many
> years. I am on T-Mobile and have been for about 7 months.
>
> They were receiving my texts until about a month ago when they stopped
> arriving. Voice calls are still received.
>
> I get the ack to say that the text messages have been delivered. But
> they haven't.
>
> I have a Virgin sim on another phone and that works fine to the
> contact I can't text from T-Mobile.
>
> Neither Virgin or T-Mobile can find a network problem which would
> cause this.
>
> What common phone setting would block texts from one number bit allow
> voice calls from that same number?

There's a setting on some Nokias, Samsung and SE phones that allow you to
block SMS from a certain number. I know this because my wife inadvertently
(?!) blocked texts from me a while back, and it had us baffled. We also
called the network (02 and 3) and got the same answers as you!

Mike P

From: Paul Harris on
In message <i2mbs0$m24$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Mike P
<privacy(a)privacy.net> writes
>Ray Dawson wrote:
>>
>> The person who can't receive my texts has been on Virgin for many
>> years. I am on T-Mobile and have been for about 7 months.
>>
>> They were receiving my texts until about a month ago when they stopped
>> arriving. Voice calls are still received.

That would support the suggestion that they have inadvertently blocked
SMS from you.

>> I get the ack to say that the text messages have been delivered. But
>> they haven't.

That is what I understand happens.

>> I have a Virgin sim on another phone and that works fine to the
>> contact I can't text from T-Mobile.

It is not that you cannot text from T-Mobile it is that they are
blocking SMS from your number.

>> Neither Virgin or T-Mobile can find a network problem which would
>> cause this.

They wouldn't if it a phone setting.

>> What common phone setting would block texts from one number bit allow
>> voice calls from that same number?
>
>There's a setting on some Nokias, Samsung and SE phones that allow you to
>block SMS from a certain number. I know this because my wife inadvertently
>(?!) blocked texts from me a while back, and it had us baffled. We also
>called the network (02 and 3) and got the same answers as you!

I don't know what the setting actually is as was not the one with the
problem but I would suggest that they looking through their settings as
it is will be there somewhere. Try barring or look under messaging.
--
Paul Harris
From: Ray Dawson on
Paul Harris <nospam(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

> > There's a setting on some Nokias, Samsung and SE phones that allow you
> > to block SMS from a certain number. I know this because my wife
> > inadvertently (?!) blocked texts from me a while back, and it had us
> > baffled. We also called the network (02 and 3) and got the same answers
> > as you!
> >
> I don't know what the setting actually is as was not the one with the
> problem but I would suggest that they looking through their settings as it
> is will be there somewhere. Try barring or look under messaging.

THanks Paul and Mike P - I'll see if I can get hold of their phone and look
at barring settings.

Cheers,

Ray D
From: Chris Blunt on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:24:14 +0100, "Mike P" <privacy(a)privacy.net>
wrote:

>Ray Dawson wrote:
>> "Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "Ray Dawson" <ray(a)raydawson.com> wrote in message

>>> Virgin use their own SMS server
>>>
>>> On which network is the phone you are trying to text, and is it a new
>>> phone?
>>>
>>> It can take time for a network to add new number sequences from
>>> another network to their server databases. Especially as they often
>>> don't tell each other about introducing new numbers So they find out
>>> when they get complaints
>>
>> The person who can't receive my texts has been on Virgin for many
>> years. I am on T-Mobile and have been for about 7 months.
>>
>> They were receiving my texts until about a month ago when they stopped
>> arriving. Voice calls are still received.
>>
>> I get the ack to say that the text messages have been delivered. But
>> they haven't.
>>
>> I have a Virgin sim on another phone and that works fine to the
>> contact I can't text from T-Mobile.
>>
>> Neither Virgin or T-Mobile can find a network problem which would
>> cause this.
>>
>> What common phone setting would block texts from one number bit allow
>> voice calls from that same number?
>
>There's a setting on some Nokias, Samsung and SE phones that allow you to
>block SMS from a certain number. I know this because my wife inadvertently
>(?!) blocked texts from me a while back, and it had us baffled. We also
>called the network (02 and 3) and got the same answers as you!

I think there's a good chance this could be the reason. I've seen this
on a friend's Nokia phone also. He had accidentally added some of his
contacts to an ignore list and couldn't receive texts from them. I
have always owned Nokia phones myself, but this function has never
been present on any of my phones, so its only a few models that have
it.

I can't remember where the setting is now, but it didn't take me long
to find it. I suggest the original poster goes carefully through the
settings on his friend's phone to look for it.

Chris