From: Khodaeifar on

"Barb Knox" <see(a)sig.below> wrote in message
> In article <efki7v$lg0$3(a)emma.aioe.org>,
> "Khodaeifar" <khodaeifar(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Is there anybody interested in "Modal Logic" ?
>> I need a debater!
>> Thanks
>
> Modal Logic is a rather well understood technical area. What do you
> find debatable?
>
> [added sci.logic]
======================================
Well, why the systems in "classical modal logic" have been not modeled by a
method similar to Kripke method?

From: Confutus on
I'm interested, but I have a radically unorthodox approach to the
subject. A number of years ago I worked out how a modal logic formally
similar to the Lewis system S5 could be based on Lukasiewicz 3-valued
logic, and I haven't yet been able to find anyone much interested in
it.

From: Jan Burse on
There are two names around. Some logics
are called modal, and some logics are
called multi valued.

It can be shown that modal logics correspond
with certain infinitely valued logics.
But on the other hand it can also be shown
that finitly valued logics do not correspond
with certain modal logics.

So that is why some logics are called modal
and other are called 3-valued, and they
do not correspond to each other.

If you want a reference on my claims,
please let me know. There have also already
been posts in this news group that support
this claim.

Bye

From: Confutus on
Yes, I have studied the literature I could find, and I'm familiar with
the huge gulf between multi-valued logics and modal logics and the
reasons, both logical and historical for it. I also know that modal
logics and multivalued logics *as they have been developed* are
different and incompatible. What I have is a development of 3-valued
logic that looks and acts very like one of the Lewis systems and their
many, many, descendants and kindred, until you look at it closely and
see just how unrelated it is.

From: Confutus on

> Sure, S5 is not n valued for finite n, but the op says _similar_ to the
> Lewis system S5. Didn't Lukasiewicz have a four-valued modal logic?
> Iirc it's in his North-Holland collected papers and Prior discusses it
> somewhere.

I believe he did. IIRC it was more or less discarded as unworkable. I
ran across it when I was studying his 3-valued system, and it didn't
work for my purposes at the time, either, but I did make a mental note
of it. Now that I've worked out the difficulties with the 3-valued
version, I'd like to go back and take another look, and see if it can
be salvaged, but the references are not so readily available to me now.