From: Confutus on

Frederick Williams wrote:

> I don't get it. Intuitively speaking, if something is not logically
> true it may be logically false or merely factually true. (Mind you I'm
> not sure that the difference between matters of fact and matters of
> logic is as clear-cut as is often made out. Didn't Quine have something
> to say about this?)

But if this is the interpretation, this is implicit in the truth
tables.

P []P ~[]P
T T F
t F T
f F T
F F T

*Not logically true" does include the categories "logically false",
"(merely) factually false" and "(merely) factually true".

From: Owen on
I posted a very detailed response to your questions, but there was a
Google problem?!
And my detailed post did not show.

I will try again, with less rigour.

Confutus wrote:
> Some time ago I developed a four-valued extension of the three valued
> logic I have been working with. This comes very close to the same
> thing. On the basis of my experience with it, I'd like to make some
> suggestions.
>
> 1) in your table for implies, third line first entry, why f -> t = t?

Because,
(f -> t) <-> (~f v t) <-> (t v t) <-> t.

> Try [](p & (p -> q)) ->q and watch what happens when p=f & q = t.
> []P should evaluate as T for any tautology P.
> I would suggest f -> t = T instead.

([](f & (f -> t)) -> t) <-> ([](f & t) -> t) <-> (F -> t) <-> (T v t)
<-> T.
Where is your problem.

Note, that this 4-valued logic does not represent S5
As I have stated, modal logic (S5) of two propositional variables
require a system of 16 truth values.

> Try this definition:
> p => q :: [](p -> q) and see what happens.

> 2) In the table for equivalence, there are three problems.
> a) first line, second entry, you have t <-> f = F. This doesn't match
> the entry for implies; I would sugges instead, t t <-> f = f i
> b) second line, first entry you have f <-> t = T. Surely this must be
> an error. I would suggest
> f <-> t = f in accord with 2a)
> c) third line, second entry is a duplicate of third line, first entry
> and there is thus no entry for F <-> f. I would suggest F <-> f = t,
> for symmetry with the second line, third entry.

Yes, you have cought me in two typos.

(t <-> f) <-> F <-> (f <-> t).

> These changes would allow you to define the "equivalence"
> p <-> q :: (p->q) & (q -> p)
>
> I'd also suggest that the "equivalence" you mention should be renamed
> the "biconditional" and that equivalence be reserved for a new function
> ==, defined thus:
> p == q :: [](p <-> q), or (equivalently)
> P == q :: (p => q) & (q => p)
>
> It isn't S5 or any of the other traditional systems of modal logic, but
> it is functional.

Wrong.
All of the axioms of classical propositional logic and Lewis' (S5) are
tautologies in My sense!

Clearly, within Lewis' logic, (p => q) =df [](p -> q)
And, (p <=>q) =df [](p <-> q), ...and much more,

From: Confutus on

Owen wrote:
> I posted a very detailed response to your questions, but there was a
> Google problem?!
> And my detailed post did not show.

On closer examination, your four-valued system and mine are not as
nearly identical as I had thought on first glance. There are
differences in your definition of & and v as well as in
-> and <-> which eliminate the inconsistencies I thought I saw.

I said
> > Try [](p & (p -> q)) ->q and watch what happens when p=f & q = t.

I should have had []((p & (p -> q)) ->q), but never mind. I wasn't
using your definition of &, so my objection isn't valid. Likewise,
I'll withdraw my other suggestions. Your definitions look a little
strange to me, but except for the typos (Your table for & is also
missing an entry) they do appear to be consistent.

What I don't quite understand is:

> Note, that this 4-valued logic does not represent S5
> As I have stated, modal logic (S5) of two propositional variables
> require a system of 16 truth values.

> > It isn't S5 or any of the other traditional systems of modal logic, but
> > it is functional.
>
> Wrong.
> All of the axioms of classical propositional logic and Lewis' (S5) are
> tautologies in My sense!

So, what's wrong with what I said?

From: Chris Menzel on
On 6 Oct 2006 04:24:08 -0700, Owen <owenholden(a)rogers.com> said:
> ...the axioms and theorems of modal propositional logic (eg.S5) are
> truth functional tautologies.

Do you have a proof of this? (Would seem to be an easy induction on
length of proof.)

> This logic greatly expands classical logic.

In what way does it greatly expand classical logic (by which I take it
you mean classical propositional modal logic)? Are some of its
tautologies not theorems of S5? (If so, is that a good thing?) If not,
and if your claim above is true, your system is semantically equivalent
to S5 and simply provides an alternative decision procedure -- on the
face of it, one that is exponential and hence computationally harder
than the usual S5 decision procedures.

From: Owen on

Confutus wrote:
> Owen wrote:
> > I posted a very detailed response to your questions, but there was a
> > Google problem?!
> > And my detailed post did not show.
>
> On closer examination, your four-valued system and mine are not as
> nearly identical as I had thought on first glance. There are
> differences in your definition of & and v as well as in
> -> and <-> which eliminate the inconsistencies I thought I saw.
>
> I said
> > > Try [](p & (p -> q)) ->q and watch what happens when p=f & q = t.
>
> I should have had []((p & (p -> q)) ->q), but never mind. I wasn't
> using your definition of &, so my objection isn't valid. Likewise,
> I'll withdraw my other suggestions. Your definitions look a little
> strange to me, but except for the typos (Your table for & is also
> missing an entry) they do appear to be consistent.
>
> What I don't quite understand is:
>
> > Note, that this 4-valued logic does not represent S5
> > As I have stated, modal logic (S5) of two propositional variables
> > require a system of 16 truth values.
>
> > > It isn't S5 or any of the other traditional systems of modal logic, but
> > > it is functional.
> >
> > Wrong.
> > All of the axioms of classical propositional logic and Lewis' (S5) are
> > tautologies in My sense!
>
> So, what's wrong with what I said?

> I said
> > > Try [](p & (p -> q)) ->q and watch what happens when p=f & q = t.
> I should have had []((p & (p -> q)) ->q),

Both of these propositions are tautologous, but, the complete truth
table for two propositional variables has not yet been given.

> > > It isn't S5 or any of the other traditional systems of modal logic, but
> > > it is functional.

My claim is that this system, when expanded to include functions of two
variable, includes all of the axioms of S5.