From: David on
Thanks, will kept that in mind

From: David on
Mr. Butler:

While using an ActiveX makes sense and would move most of the
tool code outside the charting app, where I see the problem is once
the mouse events are "being used" (especially mouse move), then the
picturebox is in control. At that point, whether the code reside in the
parent app or in the ActiveX, should make no difference as both
the charting portion and tool portion are trying to use the same picturebox
"effectively at the same time".
..
The charting portion of the App already uses an ActiveX and timer
yet issues still exist. More DoEvents may help, but unless I'm wrong,
this would use up more clock ticks making the call to DoEvents than
are currently already available.

I also don't think muli-threading will help as IMHO this is just smoke and
mirrors with one processor.

From: Jeff Johnson on

> I also don't think muli-threading will help as IMHO this is just smoke and
> mirrors with one processor.

Multi-threading IS smoke and mirrors with one processor. Once you move to
multiple processors you usually start to call it "parallel processing" and
not multi-threading (although multiple threads are involved).

From: Helmut Meukel on
"David" <NoWhere(a)earthlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I also don't think muli-threading will help as IMHO this is just smoke and
> mirrors with one processor.

So is multi-tasking.
Would you like to go back to single-tasking DOS?
CPU time is split between different tasks, to get more things
done "simultaneously", not one after another.
Multi-threading is basically the same thing just applied to
tasks within a program.
I think your app is the perfect candidate for multi-threading.

BTW, isn't using a state machine a crude way to implement
a fake multi-threading?

Just my 2 cents.

Helmut.

First  |  Prev  |