From: Paul T. on
I have OpenSuse 11.0 installed.
After a set time the monitor goes to standby and a key pressed or movement
of the mouse must be done to bring the monitor active.
I do not want this to happen. I have look in Yast2 for power settings and
have not found anyway to change this power saving setup.
Yast2 does not have a selection for power management.
Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? What needs to be changed
to prevent this and where do you change it?

Paul T.
From: WLS on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:30:22 +0000, Paul T. wrote:

> I have OpenSuse 11.0 installed.
> After a set time the monitor goes to standby and a key pressed or
> movement of the mouse must be done to bring the monitor active. I do not
> want this to happen. I have look in Yast2 for power settings and have
> not found anyway to change this power saving setup. Yast2 does not have
> a selection for power management. Does anyone know how to stop this from
> happening? What needs to be changed to prevent this and where do you
> change it?
>
> Paul T.

If you are using Gnome it's Computer > Control Center > Power Management
in the System section. Change the display setting.

If you are using KDE. Sorry I can't help.

--
openSUSE 11.2x86_64 (Gnome 2.28.0) | AMD Athlon(tm) 64 3000+ | 2GB RAM
From: David Bolt on
On Monday 25 Jan 2010 15:30, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Paul T. painted this mural:

> I have OpenSuse 11.0 installed.

Which desktop?

> After a set time the monitor goes to standby and a key pressed or movement
> of the mouse must be done to bring the monitor active.

That's normal.

> I do not want this to happen. I have look in Yast2 for power settings and
> have not found anyway to change this power saving setup.

Strangely enough, I don't like this happening either.

> Yast2 does not have a selection for power management.

Nope. It was removed in 11.0, IIRC.

> Does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

Yes.

> What needs to be changed
> to prevent this and where do you change it?

If you have KDE3 and KDE4 installed, you're going to need to set both
of them to not blank the screen.

For KDE3, open up the Control Centre and select Hardware and then
Display. On under the Power Control tab, set the timeouts you want,
or just turn it off completely. Next, if you don't have it running,
load up kpowersave. Using the classic menu structure, it's under
System -> Desktop Applet and is labelled as Battery Monitor. Starting
it up will result in a power plug appearing in the system tray. Right
click on this and select Configure KPowersave. Here you can configure
the schemes used, including whether the processor is clocked at full
speed, slow speed or varies according to load. You can also configure
the screensaver and monitor power management here.

For KDE4, I'm going to have to rely on 11.1 as I don't have any trace
of KDE4 on my 11.0 system, you need to use Personal Settings/KDE4 .
Select the Advanced tab and then Power Management. Here you'll find a
similar arrangement to kpowersave where the various system profiles can
be altered. Select the profile you're using, then select Screen and you
can alter the display power management as under the
KDE3 Control Centre Hardware -> Display -> Power Control tab.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M0 32b