From: Paul on
Mike Easter wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> B__P(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
>>> to the next. The light the normally comes on when the monitor is on
>>> doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
>>> inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
>>> has gone bad. If anyone can provide a credible reason it stopped
>>> working and a possible fix, I'd be most grateful.
>>
>> I can't see a fuse here. Just a moderately dangerous open-face
>> assembly to work on (yellow PCB).
>>
>> http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php/repairing-the-westinghouse-lcm-22w3/
>
> That's a useful description to help sell his package of capacitors.
>
>> It could have a fuse, as I can't identify every component in the picture.
>
>> The thing is, even if there was a fuse, that fuse blew for a reason.
>> Just replacing the fuse won't fix it. The fuse would only blow again,
>> until you fixed it right.
>
> One of the comments had a fuse, the tech guy answered that there are two.
>
> Comments 5 & 7 - the numbering system is imperfect w/ dupes
>
> =========
>
> # Peter Triffitt on Wed, 17th Mar 2010 4:03 pm
>
> Hello Sirs.
> What a brilliant site!! My monitor has just stopped working, no
> noticable warnings.I have the board DAC-19M009 on my bench, and it all
> looks in order. But I have tested the fuse (F101) and it is open
> circuit, there is also a very slight area of soot between the fuse
> connections. Shall I replace the capacitors anyway? Can you supply the
> fuse? Or is this a different fault?
> Best Regards Pete.
>
> # CCL_TECH on Sun, 21st Mar 2010 3:55 pm
>
> Yes, We can provide the fuse. Which fuse is blown, the one on the ac
> side or the pico fuse on the bottom of the board?
>
> =========
>
> Further down there is more description about that fuse.

I didn't even notice the comments section :-)

I see one comment in there:

"I ordered a replacement fuse, and replaced the bridge rectifier too,
but it popped right away again. Does that mean I should do the
capacitor kit now?"

That is what I'm talking about. The fuse isn't the cause of the problem,
it is a symptom. It tells you something else is cooked.

I also liked the description, where a poster said their transformer
was running hot. So who knows what other things can fail on that
power board.

The thing labeled as a picofuse, could be a polyfuse. But because the
picture is out of focus, it's really hard to say what it is. My
experience with picofuses, is they blow easily, and my buddies used
to multiply the rating a fair bit, to keep them going. (I.e. Use a
10 amp pico in a 2 amp circuit.) And even then, they weren't super
reliable. So we used picos on lab prototypes, to prevent stuff
from burning up - if one popped, it didn't take long to fit another
one. But sprinkling them in a production circuit would be another
matter. Fuses are bad in any case, and generally, they're installed
when you need some kind of certification. It you were to put them
into a circuit "because you were nervous", the warranty claims
coming from the field, would be never ending. The boss would probably
make you solder in all the warranty replacements, as punishment.

Paul
From: Jon Danniken on
Astro wrote:
> On 2010-08-06 10:23:18 +1000, John Doe <jdoe(a)usenetlove.invalid> said:
>
>> Winniethepooh 100acrewoods.org (GMAN) wrote:
>>
>>> if every capacitor in the unit is needing replacement, it most
>>> likely wont cost you more than $10-$15 for those parts.
>>
>> But seriously. That is neither here nor there.
>
> Where is it?

Somewhere over the rainbow?

Jon

From: Loren Pechtel on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 14:52:56 -0500, Grinder <grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com>
wrote:

>On 8/5/2010 2:23 PM, B__P(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
>> to the next. The light the normally comes on when the monitor is on
>> doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
>> inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
>> has gone bad. If anyone can provide a credible reason it stopped
>> working and a possible fix, I'd be most grateful.
>
>Neither one of those scenarios seems likely.
>
>Are you certain it's the monitor that has gone bad? In the several
>dozen situations where I've helped someone with a monitor that keeps
>shutting off, the vast majority have been because the attached computer
>is not providing a signal.
>
>Is there any way you can swap monitors with a different PC long enough
>to see which part is the culprit?

I have seen a large number of monitors fail by perpetually going into
standby. There's no question it's the monitor as the monitor will
fail no matter what PC and a different monitor will work on the PC.
From: VanguardLH on
B__P(a)hotmail.com wrote:

> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
> to the next. The light the normally comes on when the monitor is on
> doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
> inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
> has gone bad. If anyone can provide a credible reason it stopped
> working and a possible fix, I'd be most grateful.
>
> BP

Okay, back to the basics. Did you actually check the power cord was
plug in (to BOTH the monitor and into a wall socket or power strip)?
Have you tried wiggling both ends of the power cord to check if it is
fully inserted or has intermittent connections? If not plugged into a
wall socket and instead into a power strip, UPS, or something else, did
you unplug the cord and try a wall socket? Did you plug something ELSE
known to work into that same wall socket, like a lamp with a good bulb?
From: John Doe on
VanguardLH <V nguard.LH> wrote:

> B__P(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from
>> one day to the next. The light the normally comes on when the
>> monitor is on doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse
>> has blown on the inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or
>> perhaps the on/off switch has gone bad. If anyone can provide
>> a credible reason it stopped working and a possible fix, I'd be
>> most grateful.
>>
>> BP
>
> Okay, back to the basics.

Nooo! He has to replace all of the capacitors in his monitor.

Outrageous. Apparently some people are really bored.