From: VanguardLH on
John Doe wrote:

> VanguardLH <V nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> B__P(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from
>>> one day to the next. The light the normally comes on when the
>>> monitor is on doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse
>>> has blown on the inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or
>>> perhaps the on/off switch has gone bad. If anyone can provide
>>> a credible reason it stopped working and a possible fix, I'd be
>>> most grateful.
>>>
>>> BP
>>
>> Okay, back to the basics.
>
> Nooo! He has to replace all of the capacitors in his monitor.
>
> Outrageous. Apparently some people are really bored.

It's obvious you have never had to help others and only yourself.
Otherwise you'd experience users calling in with a dead monitor who
happened to kick the plug out of the socket when they were moving their
feet under their desk, or the boob that calls in to report a dead
monitor but it's too dark to see behind the work desk because there's a
power outage in their area.
From: John Doe on
VanguardLH <V nguard.LH> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> VanguardLH <V nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> Okay, back to the basics.
>>
>> Nooo! He has to replace all of the capacitors in his monitor.

That was supposed to be sarcasm.

>> Outrageous. Apparently some people are really bored.
>
> It's obvious you have never had to help others and only
> yourself. Otherwise you'd experience users calling in with a
> dead monitor who happened to kick the plug out of the socket
> when they were moving their feet under their desk, or the boob
> that calls in to report a dead monitor but it's too dark to see
> behind the work desk because there's a power outage in their
> area.

That is entirely possible, but we may never know.

Actually I was bashing the other suggestions. Without knowing
anything about the original author or the monitor in question,
telling some stranger that he might need to replace all of the
capacitors in his monitor because it does not turn on sounds very
strange to me.

Not enough activity in this group lately.

From: VanguardLH on
John Doe wrote:

> VanguardLH <V nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> Nooo! He has to replace all of the capacitors in his monitor.
>
> That was supposed to be sarcasm.
>
>>> Outrageous. Apparently some people are really bored.
>>
>> It's obvious you have never had to help others and only
>> yourself. Otherwise you'd experience users calling in with a
>> dead monitor who happened to kick the plug out of the socket
>> when they were moving their feet under their desk, or the boob
>> that calls in to report a dead monitor but it's too dark to see
>> behind the work desk because there's a power outage in their
>> area.
>
> That is entirely possible, but we may never know.
>
> Actually I was bashing the other suggestions. Without knowing
> anything about the original author or the monitor in question,
> telling some stranger that he might need to replace all of the
> capacitors in his monitor because it does not turn on sounds very
> strange to me.
>
> Not enough activity in this group lately.

You somewhere in my reply - the one to which you replied - any mention
of capacitors? I figured you were berating me with the "really bored"
comment since it was to me that you replied.
From: GMAN on
In article <4c5c6a3e$0$4761$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>, John Doe <jdoe(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>VanguardLH <V nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> B__P(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from
>>> one day to the next. The light the normally comes on when the
>>> monitor is on doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse
>>> has blown on the inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or
>>> perhaps the on/off switch has gone bad. If anyone can provide
>>> a credible reason it stopped working and a possible fix, I'd be
>>> most grateful.
>>>
>>> BP
>>
>> Okay, back to the basics.
>
>Nooo! He has to replace all of the capacitors in his monitor.
>
>Outrageous. Apparently some people are really bored.
No, just frugal. I had a perfectly working and beautiful 24" monitor go out on
me, and i'll be damned if i was going to throw the thing out just because $10
in capacitors went out in it. Like i said, for someone like me who can mil
spec solder almost blindfolded, it was a nobrainer to fix and i was able to do
the desoldering and resoldering job with 12 capacitors in a matter of 20
minutes. But its not for the faint of heart.

Why would i want to throw away a $300 monitor?
From: John Doe on
Winniethepooh 100acrewoods.org (GMAN) wrote:

> John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>> VanguardLH <V nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> Okay, back to the basics.
>>
>> Nooo! He has to replace all of the capacitors in his monitor.
>>
>> Outrageous. Apparently some people are really bored.

> No, just frugal.

Someone comes in here and asks about a blown fuse or a faulty
switch, and you suggest he should replace all of the capacitors in
his monitor. Besides not really knowing anything about the
original poster or the condition of his monitor, you do not even
know if his monitor is still under warranty.

That is just silly.

> I had a perfectly working and beautiful 24" monitor go out on
> me, and i'll be damned if i was going to throw the thing out
> just because $10 in capacitors went out in it. Like i said, for
> someone like me

Not likely.