From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
Capt_Ron <monbleau(notthis)@palmbeach.k12.fl.us.NotThisEither> wrote:

>1) Some mailboxes were moved successfully but they show up in 2 different
>stores.

Does the AD say the mailbox is on the correct server?

>1 in store1 as normal and the other in store2 with a red "X". In AD
>U&C the mailbox is listed at store1. I can not purge the mailbox on store2
>because it says it is connected to a mailbox.

Are there any mailboxes in Store2 that should be there? If the
database is empty, dismount it and then rename the edb and stm file.
Then mount the database. That'll create empty database files.

It sure sounds like there's a problem with the database. Those
mailboxes should have disappeared from Store2 when they were removed.

If there are still mailboxes that *should* be in Store2, move them to
another database before you do this. You can move the back when you're
done.

>2) During the moves I had the following errors:
> errorCode="0xc1054005" - The MAPI call failed. MAPI or an unspecified
>service provider. ID no: 80004005-0000-00000000

This one's pretty generic. The 80004005 usually means that something
unexpected happened.

> errorCode="0xc1050000" - The information store could not be opened. The
>MAPI provider failed. MAPI 1.0 ID no: 8004011d-0289-00000000

The user may be missing the msExchMasterAccountSID. This will happen
if the user's disabled. Sometimes it happens even if the user isn't
disabled.

For a disabled user, add the "Associated external account" right to
the "SELF" account. If the SELF account already has that right, take
it away and OK all the way out -- then go back and add it again.

It can happen if the msExchUserAccountControl value is missing, too.
To fix that, Rebuild the RUS (or each of the RUSs).

> errorCode="0xc1034964" - This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of
>corrupted items specified for this move mailbox operation.

That sure sounds like you've got a damaged database. You can increase
the number of corrupted items to ignore.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Capt_Ron on
Rich,
Thank you.
I'm trying to remove the store2 server. AD shows the mailbox in the correct
location(store1).

I spent 6 hours talking to MS yesterday and we tried renaming the edb file
and stuff. It didn't work.

It appears that most of the mailboxes are attached to disabled users.
I have only a couple that are active users. Once I can get those off the
server, I'll back up the store and remove the server.

I'm worried that I won't be able to remove the server if Exchange thinks
that there are active mailboxes on it.

Regarding the corrupted messages. I'll try to increase the number of items
and move the mailbox.

BTW. What is RUS?

Thanks again for your help

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
Capt_Ron <monbleau(notthis)@palmbeach.k12.fl.us.NotThisEither> wrote:

>I'm trying to remove the store2 server. AD shows the mailbox in the correct
>location(store1).
>
>I spent 6 hours talking to MS yesterday and we tried renaming the edb file
>and stuff. It didn't work.

Renaming the dismounted database files didn't work? It'd be the first
time I've heard that one!

Or did you mean that after you renamed them and remounted the database
the problem was still there?

>It appears that most of the mailboxes are attached to disabled users.

Add the "SELF" account to the user's "Mailbox Rights" and give it
"Full mailbox access" and "Associated external account" rights. Then
move the mailbox. Or just nuke the user in the AD.

>I have only a couple that are active users. Once I can get those off the
>server, I'll back up the store and remove the server.

If you don't care about the mailbox contents, delete the mailbox
assign a new one on the other server.

>I'm worried that I won't be able to remove the server if Exchange thinks
>that there are active mailboxes on it.

There's always a way to remove a server. Just like Perl, TMTOWTDI!

>Regarding the corrupted messages. I'll try to increase the number of items
>and move the mailbox.
>
>BTW. What is RUS?

RUS = Recipient Update Service

From: Capt_Ron on
Thank for the help. After reenabling users, increasing the number of corrupt
items, and increasing mailbox size limits, I was able to move all the
mailboxes off the server.

I'm showing something else that baffles me though.

I successfully move a mailbox from a 2000 server to a 2003 server.
AD shows the mailbox in the 2003 server.
The mailbox works just fine. (via outlook and OWA)
The 2000 server still shows it has the mailbox (with a red "X")
IF I try and purge it from the 2000 server I get a message that it is
already reconnected to a user.

This bothers me, but I'm really not that worried. I'm going to remove the
server anyway. I'm just curious as to why this would happen.

Thanks again for all your help.
Ron

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
Capt_Ron <monbleau(notthis)@palmbeach.k12.fl.us.NotThisEither> wrote:

>Thank for the help. After reenabling users, increasing the number of corrupt
>items, and increasing mailbox size limits, I was able to move all the
>mailboxes off the server.
>
>I'm showing something else that baffles me though.
>
>I successfully move a mailbox from a 2000 server to a 2003 server.
>AD shows the mailbox in the 2003 server.
>The mailbox works just fine. (via outlook and OWA)
>The 2000 server still shows it has the mailbox (with a red "X")
>IF I try and purge it from the 2000 server I get a message that it is
>already reconnected to a user.
>
>This bothers me, but I'm really not that worried. I'm going to remove the
>server anyway. I'm just curious as to why this would happen.

'Tis a problem with the database. The mailbox should have been removed
from the source server at the end of the successful move.

You can't purge it because the directory name in that mailbox still
exists in the directory. Perversely, you won't be able to reconnect
the mailbox to another user either, for the same reason. That's why I
said to dismount the database and rename the files. Remounting the
database won't create a new mailbox 'coz the AD says the mailbox is on
another database.

Until you get rid of those orphaned mailboxes you won't be able to
remove the server -- at least you won't if you stick to the
recommended way of doing that.