From: Bo Persson on
John Turco wrote:

> Good luck to you, and to all the other regular members here, as
> well. Microsoft has scheduled
> "microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general" for a July 1, 2010 closure
> (i.e., tomorrow), and yet
> I remain fairly hopeful that this particular newsgroup can
> withstand such a cruel measure.

Here and now it already is tomorrow. We'll see what happens. :-)

Bo Persson

From: R. C. White on
Hi, John.

> Now, you must figure out how to post properly. "Content Type" should be
> plain text, rather than
your current setting (which appears to be HTML, or similar).

Thanks to a kick in the pants from Jeff Gaines yesterday, I finally figured
out that I was 180 out of sync on the Plain Text/HTML switches. I HOPE that
this one is properly in Plain Text.

It's now July 1 in Texas, so we'll see if this message gets through on the
Msnews server. But I'm already subscribed on my ISP's news server, too, so
I've been reading all these messages twice for the past couple of days. As
John John notes, other closed NGs here continued for just a few days after
the official closure date - and then disappeared.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"John Turco" wrote in message news:4C2C1A22.94DCEE1E(a)concentric.net...

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Gang.
>
> The newest message from nntp(a)microsoft.com, posted this morning, reminds
> us that this newsgroup will
> be closed from the Microsoft news server on July 1, 2010, just two days
> from now. As a replacement,
> Microsoft suggests that we go to the Windows Answers forums at:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/group/WindowsAnswers
>
> Trouble is, that address is the TOP-level menu of the Answers forums,
> offering 5 forums each for
> WinXP, Vista and Win7, NONE of which are dedicated to 64-bit computing.
> Any and all of them will
> likely have 64-bit discussions scattered throughout their thousands of
> conversations. It is, as
> I’ve said before, like pointing us to 15 haystacks and inviting us to
> search through all of them,
> hoping to find a few 64-bit needles somewhere. :>(
>
> Fortunately, my ISP still carries Usenet (via the Giganews server, I
> think), with over 100,000 NGs,
> including the 2,000+ microsoft.public.* NGs. AND including THIS
> newsgroup. So, just this morning,
> I’ve subscribed to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general on that news
> server and downloaded All
> Messages (69,637 as of now, dated back to May 8, 2005. That’s not the
> actual beginning of the NG,
> apparently, because many of the oldest posts have subjects starting with
> “Re:”, indicating that
> they are replies to even earlier messages. After verifying that the
> latest message there is the
> same one that I had read here, I used Catch Up on my ISP’s server to
> mark them all Read.
>
> So, after MSFT pulls the plug here this week, I’ll be able to continue
> to participate in whatever
> is left of this NG on Usenet via my ISP’s news server.
>
> At least, that’s my plan. We’ll see how well it works out – for me.
> I hope that each of you
> can find a suitable news server and we can continue this Community, albeit
> in a probably diminished
> capacity.
>
> Catch you on the flip side, Good Buddies! ;<)
>
> RC

So, you learned something from my public reply of June 25, 2010 (in the "Re:
Microsoft kills 4,000
old-style newsgroups" thread)? I'd mentioned accessing Microsoft's Windows
groups, through a free
NNTP server (in my own case, that's "Eternal September").

Now, you must figure out how to post properly. "Content Type" should be
plain text, rather than
your current setting (which appears to be HTML, or similar).

Also, your lines are far too long...they span almost the entire horizontal
length of my "Spectre"
24" LCD widescreen monitor! (80 characters is the Usenet standard.)

By the way, my news reader (the venerable Netscape Communicator 4.8) didn't
automatcally quote
your article, when I clicked the application's "Reply" button. I needed to
copy and paste it,
and then use the "File" menu's "Quote Original Message" command (in order to
quickly add the
requisite ">" puppies). This might just be a Communicator quirk, though. (I
manually wrapped
your lines, too.)

Good luck to you, and to all the other regular members here, as well.
Microsoft has scheduled
"microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general" for a July 1, 2010 closure (i.e.,
tomorrow), and yet
I remain fairly hopeful that this particular newsgroup can withstand such a
cruel measure.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>

From: Tim on
Well, for the sake of a measly 2 quid a month, I'm with giganews and
can access this (and any) newsgroup I want with no interference from
m$ - 100 quid a year for answers to all your questions (not just x64),
what a bargain! Libraries might be cheaper but they close at 7pm...

From: Keith Combs on
The message in this newgroup is incorrect or at least it’s incomplete. The forums that support IT Pros and your 64bit questions are at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/w7itpro. That is the top level category and there are forums on installation, hardware compatibility, application compatibility, security, virtualization, performance, etc.

I believe you’ll find the community is quite active there. The forums have a number of benefits so I hope you’ll give them a chance.

Best regards,

Keith Combs
Microsoft Senior Program Manager – TechNet
(425) 705-9217 office
http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs

From: Jeff Gaines on
On 02/07/2010 in message <e3SS5fjGLHA.1052(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> Keith
Combs wrote:

>I believe you'll find the community is quite active there. The forums
>have a number of benefits so I hope you'll give them a chance.

They don't have the benefits of speed, plain text and threaded news
readers. Has anybody at MSFT tried them from, say, a 1 Mb/s Internet
connection? Has anybody at MSFT ever used a proper news reader? They ought
to give it a try they will be astonished by how quick it is.

It's also not too difficult to formulate a question, or reply, in plain
text, the 'rich experience' of HTML and garish colours just slows things
down and doubles the load on the Internet without adding anything to the
intelligibility of the message.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those