From: R. C. White on
Hi, Gang.

The newest message from nntp(a)microsoft.com, posted this morning, reminds us that this newsgroup will be closed from the Microsoft news server on July 1, 2010, just two days from now. As a replacement, Microsoft suggests that we go to the Windows Answers forums at:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/group/WindowsAnswers

Trouble is, that address is the TOP-level menu of the Answers forums, offering 5 forums each for WinXP, Vista and Win7, NONE of which are dedicated to 64-bit computing. Any and all of them will likely have 64-bit discussions scattered throughout their thousands of conversations. It is, as I’ve said before, like pointing us to 15 haystacks and inviting us to search through all of them, hoping to find a few 64-bit needles somewhere. :>(

Fortunately, my ISP still carries Usenet (via the Giganews server, I think), with over 100,000 NGs, including the 2,000+ microsoft.public.* NGs. AND including THIS newsgroup. So, just this morning, I’ve subscribed to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general on that news server and downloaded All Messages (69,637 as of now, dated back to May 8, 2005. That’s not the actual beginning of the NG, apparently, because many of the oldest posts have subjects starting with “Re:”, indicating that they are replies to even earlier messages. After verifying that the latest message there is the same one that I had read here, I used Catch Up on my ISP’s server to mark them all Read.

So, after MSFT pulls the plug here this week, I’ll be able to continue to participate in whatever is left of this NG on Usenet via my ISP’s news server.

At least, that’s my plan. We’ll see how well it works out – for me. I hope that each of you can find a suitable news server and we can continue this Community, albeit in a probably diminished capacity.

Catch you on the flip side, Good Buddies! ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
From: Jeff Gaines on
On 29/06/2010 in message <OVpsRW8FLHA.1716(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> R. C.
White wrote:

>Catch you on the flip side, Good Buddies! ;<)

Hopefully many of us will still be here.

As this is Usenet and not a forum can you set up WLM to post in plain text?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
Not sure about Live Mail, but WinMail certainly supports plain text only.
It's what I use. (I hacked it to run on Server 2008 R2 and use it in a
RemoteApp session.) And yes, I'll continue to be here, doing what I do, they
same way I have. And I hope all of you will join us in continuing to support
those users who will continue to find the move to 64-bit confusing and even
a bit scary some times.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: Carlos on
R.C.,
Please walk me through the process of subscribing to this NG via Usenet.
I regret to confess that I am quite ignorant in non-web forums.
:(
Carlos

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Jeff.

> Hopefully many of us will still be here.

As Bill Clinton might have said, it depends on what the definition of “here”, is.

The first step is to locate a Usenet news server, then to make sure that it carries THIS newsgroup,
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general . Yes, the newsgroup name will still include “microsoft”, no matter which “mirror” you are using. It might be eternal-septermber.org or aioe.org or one of the many (thousands?) of free or for-pay news servers out there. To find one, just Bing or Google for “free news server” and you should find LOTS of hits.

For my example, I’ll use my own ISP’s news server, news.grandecom.net, but that URL won’t do you any good unless you also pay a monthly fee to Grande Communications, Inc., as I do. Just substitute your own news server name for mine in the following example.

Just click here:

That one click should:
1. Fire up your default news reader (OE/WM/WLM or a third-party newsreader client);
2. Create a News Account for you on that news server;
3. Connect you to the microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup on THAT server;
4. Download the 300 newest messages in the newsgroup; and
5. Display the latest message in the Reading Pane for you to see.

There are several variables in this process, so if you hit a snag, just post back here in the MS newsgroup and I’ll try to answer. After this MS NG closes, I’ll probably answer in THIS newsgroup on THAT Usenet server. The main variable, of course, is the name of YOUR news server. But Usenet – like the Internet – is worldwide, so the same basic instructions should work no matter where you are. Usenet servers use NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol), like Internet servers use HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol). Newsgroup posts are echoed (mirrored) around the world and, like Internet messages, can appear everywhere at the same moment, it seems.

However, since we no longer will have the Microsoft “mother ship” hosting the newsgroup, and since all those non-Microsoft news servers are separately owned and operated, we probably will begin to see many more messages that will be delayed, out of sequence – or just plain lost. Also, many of those servers do not carry the entire 2,000+ MS newsgroups now, and may choose to discontinue carrying some or all of them after the Microsoft server shuts down.

We’ll just have to wait and see if enough of us will continue using this newsgroup to keep our 64-bit community alive.

> As this is Usenet and not a forum can you set up WLM to post in plain text?

Sure. I’ve been using WLMail and its predecessors for about 15 years, posting in plain text all the while. It does offer a toggle to switch back and forth between HTML (often called RTF) and plain text.

RC