From: Victor Duchovni on
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 08:07:34PM +0100, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> * K??rlis Repsons <karlis.repsons(a)gmail.com>:
>
> > > According to RFC 5322:
> > >
> > > from = "From:" mailbox-list CRLF
> > > mailbox-list = (mailbox *("," mailbox)) / obs-mbox-list
> > >
> > > Thus, one From: header may contain multiple addresses.
> >
> > Well, another possible trouble I was about to ask later, but still, can there
> > be multiple From:?
> > And in what cases can there be multiple addresses in From: field? Its strange.
> > If anyone knows...
>
> RFC 5322 speaks of the From: field in singluar only, thus only one is
> allowed:

The same is true for "To:" and "Cc:" and yet in practice, multiple
"To:" and "Cc:" fields are sometimes sent and are processed collectively
by typical email software. The Postfix sendmail(1) command, when used
to send email to recipients specified via the message headers (the "-t"
switch) will collect recipient addresses from multiple "To:", "Cc:" and
"Bcc:" headers.

It may be prudent to also treat:

From: <authorA>
From: <authorB>

as synonymous with:

From: <authorA>, <authorB>

the implied meaning is that the people with those email addresses,
co-authored the email.

--
Viktor.

From: Mark Martinec on
On Thursday January 14 2010 20:14:48 Victor Duchovni wrote:
> It may be prudent to also treat:
> From: <authorA>
> From: <authorB>
> as synonymous with:
> From: <authorA>, <authorB>
> the implied meaning is that the people with those email addresses,
> co-authored the email.

....or treated with utmost suspicion, as that could be an attempt
to fool a MUA + a content filter combination to let mail through
but still show to a reader what was desired by malware.

Note that a message with a DKIM signature with only one
occurrence of a 'from' in its 'h' tag is covering the bottommost
instance of a 'From' header field, yet a MUA might show the topmost.
When amavisd-new (since version 2.6.4) is DKIM-signing a message,
it inserts a ":from:from:" into the 'h' tag, which makes a later
appending of another From header field invalidate a signature.

Mark

From: "=?utf-8?q?K=C4=81rlis_Repsons?=" on
On Thursday 14 January 2010 19:14:48 Victor Duchovni wrote:
> It may be prudent to also treat:
>
> From: <authorA>
> From: <authorB>
>
> as synonymous with:
>
> From: <authorA>, <authorB>
>
> the implied meaning is that the people with those email addresses,
> co-authored the email.
But have you seriously seen a mail client, which would allow sending such
mail? I would think, this is an extreme rarity, but is it?
From: Mark Martinec on
On Friday January 15 2010 09:11:27 Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> But have you seriously seen a mail client, which would allow sending such
> mail? I would think, this is an extreme rarity, but is it?

It is very rare alright.

Multiple author addresses in a single From header field are legitimate,
but some mail processing software breaks on them.

Multiple From header fields are prohibited by rfc, but that does not
stop malicious or broken senders from doing it if they feel like it.

If one or the other turns out to be profitable for malware,
it will be used, no doubt about it, so better be ready.

Btw, of the header fields that may occur only once, it is currently
more usual to see multiple Message-ID, or Subject, or To or Cc,
or MIME-Version, or Content-Type. Very rare are duplicate Reply-To
or Date. The least common is to see multiple From.

Mark

From: "=?utf-8?q?K=C4=81rlis_Repsons?=" on
On Friday 15 January 2010 09:29:37 Mark Martinec wrote:
> On Friday January 15 2010 09:11:27 Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> > But have you seriously seen a mail client, which would allow sending such
> > mail? I would think, this is an extreme rarity, but is it?
>
> It is very rare alright.
>
> Multiple author addresses in a single From header field are legitimate,
> but some mail processing software breaks on them.
>
> Multiple From header fields are prohibited by rfc, but that does not
> stop malicious or broken senders from doing it if they feel like it.
>
> If one or the other turns out to be profitable for malware,
> it will be used, no doubt about it, so better be ready.
>
> Btw, of the header fields that may occur only once, it is currently
> more usual to see multiple Message-ID, or Subject, or To or Cc,
> or MIME-Version, or Content-Type. Very rare are duplicate Reply-To
> or Date. The least common is to see multiple From.
>
> Mark
Thanks!