From: johan on
Dear all,

I'm managing a server with SBS 2003 Premium. The server is completely
update to date with all the latest service packs and patches.

The following errors occur on the server:

1. DHCP snap-in is unable to contact the DCHP server. The workstations
and the RAS-server service are not able to get IP-addresses.

2. The following event is logged on the server every 5 minutes:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1053
Date: 2006-08-07
Time: 17:48:23
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: ADMINSERVER
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The remote
procedure call failed. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

3. In the directory service the following two errors are logged:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: NTDS General
Event Category: Global Catalog
Event ID: 1655
Date: 2006-08-07
Time: 17:39:29
User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
Computer: ADMINSERVER
Active Directory attempted to communicate with the following global
catalog and the attempts were unsuccessful.

Global catalog:
\\ADMINSERVER.astrand.local

The operation in progress might be unable to continue. Active Directory
will use the domain controller locator to try to find an available
global catalog server.

Additional Data
Error value:
1726 The remote procedure call failed.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NTDS General
Event Category: Global Catalog
Event ID: 1126
Date: 2006-08-07
Time: 17:39:29
User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
Computer: ADMINSERVER
Active Directory was unable to establish a connection with the global
catalog.

Additional Data
Error value:
1355 The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
contacted.
Internal ID:
3200c67

User Action:
Make sure a global catalog is available in the forest, and is reachable
from this domain controller. You may use the nltest utility to
diagnose this problem.

4. The CEICW wizard are failing with the following errors:
Error 0x1 returned from call to Setting the default gateway on the
external NIC().
Error 0x800706be returned from call to Configuring DHCP options().
Error 0x800706be returned from call to CNetCommit::Common().
Error 0x800706be returned from call to CNetCommit::Commit().

5. dcdiag /v gives the following output:
Domain Controller Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
* Verifying that the local machine ADMINSERVER, is a DC.
* Connecting to directory service on server ADMINSERVER.
[ADMINSERVER] Directory Binding Error 1727:
The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.
This may limit some of the tests that can be performed.
* Collecting site info.
* Identifying all servers.
* Identifying all NC cross-refs.
* Found 1 DC(s). Testing 1 of them.
Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\ADMINSERVER
Starting test: Connectivity
* Active Directory LDAP Services Check
* Active Directory RPC Services Check
[ADMINSERVER] DsBindWithSpnEx() failed with error 1727,
The remote procedure call failed and did not execute..
Printing RPC Extended Error Info:
Error Record 1, ProcessID is 6496 (DcDiag)
System Time is: 8/7/2006 16:27:48:283
Generating component is 2 (RPC runtime)
Status is -1073606646: unknown
Detection location is 1464
Error Record 2, ProcessID is 6496 (DcDiag)
System Time is: 8/7/2006 16:27:48:283
Generating component is 2 (RPC runtime)
Status is -1073606646: unknown
Detection location is 282
Error Record 3, ProcessID is 6496 (DcDiag)
System Time is: 8/7/2006 16:27:48:283
Generating component is 8 (winsock)
Status is 64: The specified network name is no longer
available.

Detection location is 281
......................... ADMINSERVER failed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\ADMINSERVER
Skipping all tests, because server ADMINSERVER is
not responding to directory service requests
Test omitted by user request: Topology
Test omitted by user request: CutoffServers
Test omitted by user request: OutboundSecureChannels
Test omitted by user request: VerifyReplicas
Test omitted by user request: VerifyEnterpriseReferences

Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones
Starting test: CrossRefValidation
......................... ForestDnsZones passed test
CrossRefValidation
Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
......................... ForestDnsZones passed test
CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones
Starting test: CrossRefValidation
......................... DomainDnsZones passed test
CrossRefValidation
Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
......................... DomainDnsZones passed test
CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : Schema
Starting test: CrossRefValidation
......................... Schema passed test
CrossRefValidation
Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
......................... Schema passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : Configuration
Starting test: CrossRefValidation
......................... Configuration passed test
CrossRefValidation
Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
......................... Configuration passed test
CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : astrand
Starting test: CrossRefValidation
......................... astrand passed test
CrossRefValidation
Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
......................... astrand passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running enterprise tests on : astrand.local
Starting test: Intersite
Skipping site Default-First-Site-Name, this site is outside
the scope

provided by the command line arguments provided.
From: Adrian Grigorof on
How many network cards do you have on this server? Is 192.168.0.3 its
current IP address? If you ping ADMINSERVER.astrand.local - does it work?

See also the comments for these events here:
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1053&eventno=1584&source=Userenv&phase=1 -
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1655&eventno=968&source=NTDS%20General&phase=1
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1126&eventno=656&source=NTDS%20General&phase=1

--
Adrian Grigorof
www.eventid.net

From: johan on
Thank you Adrian,

I managed to solve most of the problems with the links you supplied. It
turned out to be one of the newly created ISA firewall rules for
Exchange RPC that was not done right.

Everything is working now except the DHCP server. I'm able to connect
to DCHP server through the DHCP snap-in, but no clients nor RRAS is
able to get an IP address. If I put the clients on static IP addresses
everything works like normal. I have reinstalled the DHCP server
service and recreated the scope. I have also triple checked the ISA
server, but I can't find any firewall rules that shouldn't be there.

The server has two NICs and 192.168.0.3 is the IP address of the
internal network card. I'm able to ping the server from the
workstations both when using the IP address and also when using it's
name.

Any ideas what to try now?

Thanks in advance

Johan

From: "Jenny wu [MSFT]" on
Hi Johan,

Thanks for using the SBS newsgroup. Also thanks for Adrian's input.

From your description, I understand that the SBS 2003 server encountered
many errors now. Based on my research, the root cause is that CEICW wizard
failed to run to configure DNS server, DHCP server, and internet
connections. Let us focus on the CEICW wizard failed issue first:

From the ICW log error code: 0x800706be that means RPC_S_CALL_FAILED. It
usually occurs because some services are not started successfully. Please
check the following settings and re-run CEICW wizard to see if it can run
successfully.

I. Please check DNS and Gateway settings. Please ensure the following
settings:

1. Leave the Default Gateway of the internal NIC blank of the server box if
there are two network adapters installed on the server box.

2. Configure the internal client computer's NIC and the internal NIC of the
server box to use the internal DNS Service (the internal NIC IP) as the DNS
Server. And there is only the DNS server is configured on client computers.

II Please ensure proper binding order of the network adapter cards. The
internal network card should be at the top. The detail steps:

1. Right-click the My Network Place and click Properties to open Network
Connections page.
2. Click Advanced in the menu and click Advanced Settings in dropdown list.
3. Under the Adapters and Bindings tab page put the internal Nic at the top
in Advanced Settings page.

After check above settings and verified them.

III. Please try to Re-run CEICW to configure network connection
configuration, please re-configure all settings in the wizard by NO choose
"do not change.." checkbox. What is the result?

It is greatly recommended you refer to the following KB article to get
detail steps to configure network connection:

825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

If the CEICW wizard still fails, please help me collect the following
information for analyze the issue:

1. Have you installed any third party Anti-virus/Anti-spam applications on
the server box or client computers? If yes, please temporarily disable them
and re-run the CEICW wizard to test.

2. Have you installed ISA on the server box? What is the version? ISA 2000
or ISA 2004?

3. Please run command "msinfo32" (no quotation marks) on the SBS server box
to launch System Information console. And click File and then Save. Save
the system information to a .nfo file to send to me. My working mailbox:
v-yanniw(a)microsoft.com

4. Please also mail me the following log files for analyze:

A. The icwlog.txt file in the "%Program Files%\Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server\Support" folder.

B. The icwdetails*.htm in the "%Program files%\Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server\Networking\ICW\" folder.

C. The logs in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small
Business Server 2003\Logs" folder.

Please add all files to a zip file and mail me at: v-yanniw(a)microsoft.com

I appreciate your time! I am happy to be assistance of you and look forward
to your reply!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------

From: "Jenny wu [MSFT]" on
Hi Johan,

Thanks for your update. I am glad to know that things are getting fine now.

I. For current situation, let us check the following settings to trouble
shoot the DHCP issue

1. Please verify the rules settings are correct on ISA 2004:

a. Please open the ISA2004 Management Console, in the left panel, expand to
Configuration->Networks. Under "Networks panel", double click "Internal".
Switch to "Web Proxy" panel, click "Authentication" and then uncheck the
"Require all users to authenticate" option.

b. Navigate to Firewall Policy, can you find the rule "SBS Protected
Network Access rule" listed in the right panel? Please ensure the SBS
Protected Network Access rule applies to "ALL USERS".

c. Please also ensure the SBS Protected Network Access rule at the bottom
of the firewall policy rules. However the rule "SBS internet access rule"
and the "SBS Microsoft update sites access rule" should locate lower place
than the SBS Protected Network Access rule.

d. After verify above settings, please click Apply button to take effect
the change.

2. Then please logon client computers and update the TCP/IP settings as
follows:

Open a command prompt, type the following commands:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE

IPCONFIG /RENEW

What is the result? Can client computers get IP address from DHCP server?

II. If the issue persists, let us try the following tests:

1. Please stop the ISA services.

2. Then please clean the ISA cache. To do so:

A. Stop the Web Proxy service.
B. Locate the Urlcache folder.
C. From the multiple files in this folder, locate the *.cdat file in this
folder.
D. Delete the *.cdat file.
E. Start the Web Proxy service.

3. Then please logon client computers and update the TCP/IP settings to
check if the issue resolved.

Hope above information helps.