From: neil40 on
On 3 Apr, 18:34, John W. Vinson <jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com>
wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 02:24:02 -0700 (PDT), neil40 <neil.grant...(a)googlemail..com>
> wrote:
>
> >To explain more, I am not actually recording games, but end of season
> >tables. It is a historical record of a particular sport, so I want an
> >easier way of entering an entire league for each season.
> >IE Team X, won 22, lost 2, drew 1, score for 1200, score against 876,
> >points 46
>
> A Continuous form with one row per "end of season" record should give you what
> you want.
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

I can create a 'continuous' (or Multi-line) Form, but all the fields
are populated with table entries.
How do I create this with blank lines so that I can submit the records
when finished entering my end-of-season data
On my single line form I can do this, I have a 'Submit' button to
commit the data.
Is there some way I could copy the single line entry form and create
more lines for my input.
I've google this to see if I can find an example without much luck

Neil
From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 17:11:46 -0700 (PDT), neil40 <neil.grantham(a)googlemail.com>
wrote:

>I can create a 'continuous' (or Multi-line) Form, but all the fields
>are populated with table entries.
>How do I create this with blank lines so that I can submit the records
>when finished entering my end-of-season data
>On my single line form I can do this, I have a 'Submit' button to
>commit the data.
>Is there some way I could copy the single line entry form and create
>more lines for my input.
>I've google this to see if I can find an example without much luck

I'm not sure I understand. A continuous form (based on a table or on an
updateable query) automatically has a blank, new record line at the bottom of
the list. You can type data into that line, save it (just by pressing the
enter key, no code is needed) and a new blank row will appear for the next new
entry. This is native Access functionality; no button, no code, nothing extra
needed.

Could you explain what you're seeing? Perhaps post the Recordsource of the
continuous form in SQL view?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: neil40 on
On 8 Apr, 01:26, John W. Vinson <jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 17:11:46 -0700 (PDT), neil40 <neil.grant...(a)googlemail..com>
> wrote:
>
> >I can create a 'continuous' (or Multi-line) Form, but all the fields
> >are populated with table entries.
> >How do I create this with blank lines so that I can submit the records
> >when finished entering my end-of-season data
> >On my single line form I can do this, I have a 'Submit' button to
> >commit the data.
> >Is there some way I could copy the single line entry form and create
> >more lines for my input.
> >I've google this to see if I can find an example without much luck
>
> I'm not sure I understand. A continuous form (based on a table or on an
> updateable query) automatically has a blank, new record line at the bottom of
> the list. You can type data into that line, save it (just by pressing the
> enter key, no code is needed) and a new blank row will appear for the next new
> entry. This is native Access functionality; no button, no code, nothing extra
> needed.
>
> Could you explain what you're seeing? Perhaps post the Recordsource of the
> continuous form in SQL view?
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Yes, that is what I see, a form with a blank last entry.
This isn't what I'm hoping for though (or even know if it's possible),
as I can achieve data entry like this with my single entry form.
What I would like is a form like my single entry form, with maybe
20-25 blank entries to add the entire league before submitting it to
the table
As I say, I don't know if it's possible to do it.
The only advantage with the multi over the single I can see is that I
will be able to see where I got to, whereas on the single, if I get
distracted, then I have to open the table (or a report) to see what
I've done.

Neil
From: BruceM via AccessMonster.com on
I don't understand the need to update the table with 20-25 records all at
once. What is the objection to entering records one at a time? It may be
possible to contrive an unbound form with dozens of text boxes, then loop
through the text boxes to update the table with multiple records at once, but
that would be a lot of work to bypass the built-in functionality, even if it
is possible.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 00:41:12 -0700 (PDT), neil40 <neil.grantham(a)googlemail.com>
wrote:

>Yes, that is what I see, a form with a blank last entry.
>This isn't what I'm hoping for though (or even know if it's possible),
>as I can achieve data entry like this with my single entry form.
>What I would like is a form like my single entry form, with maybe
>20-25 blank entries to add the entire league before submitting it to
>the table
>As I say, I don't know if it's possible to do it.

Possible? Probably. You could run an Append query from VBA to load the table
with 25 rows with blank fields; you'ld then need to separately update each of
those. Or you could use a very code-heavy unbound form with 25 rows of
textboxes, and some complicated and tricky VBA code to move that data into the
table (or from the table back onto the form for editing).

Desirable? Almost certainly NOT. If you have trouble keeping track of entries
now, they'll be much more complicated problems if you have a mix of "real
data" and blank "placeholder" records cluttering up your tables.

>The only advantage with the multi over the single I can see is that I
>will be able to see where I got to, whereas on the single, if I get
>distracted, then I have to open the table (or a report) to see what
>I've done.

The continuous form can certainly display as many prior records as will fit on
your screen. You can see what's there without separately opening a table or a
report.

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]