From: nomail on
On 06/05/2010 04:51 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

> I was talking about the HD you boot off of.

It's brand new freshly partitioned and it works perfectly otherwise.

From: nomail on
On 06/05/2010 02:40 PM, J.O. Aho wrote:
> nomail@_INVALID_no.org wrote:

Gee, thanks for the extensive writ!

>> Grub deals in terms of hd0, hd1, hd2, hd3. Breaking into grub with "c"
>> and doing the "root (hdx,y)" command also shows how grub sees the drives
>> and partitions. I booted a grub floppy with 4 drives plugged in and can
>> confirm that on this board grub sees them all exactly and correctly in
>> sequence same as bios does.
>
> The mapping is done in /boot/grub/device.map and may lack mapping for those
> two later hard drives.

Can't use map files cause drives are swinging in/out like chopper blades
most of the time.

>> The one surprise here was that the top 40gb #15 partition on my 2tb
>> drive is too high for bios and for grub.
>
> Think there was some kind of limitation on the number of partitions in 0.9x
> Grub (but I may mistaken).

With SATA drives I've been using up to 15 partitions and if I remember
correctly even more than that with PATAs.

>> But this is not it because the
>> problem is still there without 2tb disks. The sequencing problem doesn't
>> surface until the kernel takes over ........from what I can see. But Why
>> only with more than 2 disks?
>
> This can happen if you use LABEL or UUID and more than one disk/partition has
> the same "name", which makes it a bit random which one will get which get
> which device name. ]

You're joking :-) First come first served in 2010?

> Another thing that could make disks to "switch" order is
> "spin up time", if your hard drive is damaged and your kernel don't use the
> data from BIOS, then it can take longer for it to say "Hi" and therefore will
> get a higher device name.

No labels, I use strictly /dev/name. Disk id might work but I do a lot
of mirroring with dd and it would be just too complicated.

>> Just looking at the sequence shown in the earlier install episode it
>> strikes me that sda-sdb ........sdg-sdh has a 4 disk gap in addition to
>> a wrong sequence.
>
> Can much be some odd udev rule, check that you don't have an odd persistent
> udev rule or persistent-cd rule which has already used up the sdc - sdf.
> Another reason can be that your motherboard has 4 SATA and 2 SATA-RAID, where
> the pots for the SATA gets sda - sdd, while those connected to the SATA-RAID
> will get sde-sdh.

I looked at the manual and it just talks 4 sata connectors which are
numbered 1-4. I don't see any raid connectors as such, raid setup is in
BIOS.

>> Could this be some sort of reserve for the PATA
>> hdx-hdy set?
>
> No, either they are detected as hdX or with newer drivers they also may be
> detected as "scsi" devices and get sdX in a similar way as a SATA drive.
>

>> I have no more pata drives but still need one ribbon for
>> the DVD burner.
>
> Do a "ls -l /dev/cdrom" to see which device it really uses or check the
> persistent-cd rule.

I've pulled the optical burner and will use it externally on usb. Then
I'll look for a way to completely disable everything PATA that I find
(later).

From: nomail on
On 06/05/2010 07:42 PM, noi ance wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 09:14:50 -0400, nomail typed this message:

>> The prob seems to revolve around disk id more than partitioning.
>
> By the way I always use Cable Select on the HD pins rather than Master or
> Slave.

So did I, but they're not available on satas which are always master.

> Did you say you tried mounting /dev/sda /dev/sdc combinations?

Can't get a linux partition booted at all with more than sda & sdb
plugged-in. I could use 4 patas at once and I have 4 sata connectors but
can't use those all at once.

> Are you using just one drive /dev/sda as the boot drive? With the others
> as data drives?

Yes. Other drives may have bootable partitions but nothing is ever
booted unless it's in as sda.

> If you've cloned /dev/sda from /dev/sdc but didn't change the /etc/boot/
> menu.lst to point to the right HD it will mount the older HD /dev/sdc.
> If /dev/sdc is a data disk then there's nothing to boot.

The first thing I always do after an install if a boot loader was also
written to mbr is to get the hell out of the OS's way and vice versa. I
make a folder /boot/user on a fat data partition on the booting drive
that's always plugged in and keep my own grub config 'menu.boo' in
there.

I'm not trying to boot systems on the other disks, only on /dev/sda.

> To use the other
> drives, you should be able to mount them manually and mount them by
> placing entries in /etc/fstab.

Manual mounts only, ever.

> Trickier if you're using disk device by
> id, which have to match the HD devices and partitions. I think that's
> your problem, you need to adjust the menu.lst appropriately.

No, the menu uses (hdx,y) for grub and the kernel arg is root=/dev/sda12
as an example. Whatever goes bad does it between these two I think. The
kernel starts loading but then (maybe when it reads fstab) it panics
out. It reads let's say root=/dev/sda12 but maybe it hits on something
other than sda ..just guessing.

> I have 3 drives, 2 IDEs, 1 SATA, all visible and mountable. My BIOS
> allows me to set the boot HD to /dev/sdc instead of /dev/sda so, I don't
> need the HDs in a physical sequence. My /dev/sdb is a non-boot HD.

I used to run more than two in a pata/sata combination too. It's more
than 2 sata that's problematic :-)

What you're doing is fine, it's just that I gave it up when I got lazy
and hungry for simple things. At one time I had 8 drives with all of
them having over a dozen bootable partitions and booting any of them
from the hd0 mbr :-)

From: nomail on
On 06/05/2010 01:54 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> nomail@_INVALID_no.org a �crit :

> I suspect udev messed up again when something changed.
> How is the root= defined in /boot/grub/menu.lst ?

Always as root=/dev/sdaXx

> Anything about sd* in the kernel log (can you drop a shell and run dmesg
> in the initramfs) ?

Tomorrow maybe, the main drive is hooked to a notebook for the night.

From: J.O. Aho on
nomail@_INVALID_no.org wrote:
> On 06/05/2010 02:40 PM, J.O. Aho wrote:
>> nomail@_INVALID_no.org wrote:
>
> Gee, thanks for the extensive writ!
>

>>> Grub deals in terms of hd0, hd1, hd2, hd3. Breaking into grub with "c"
>>> and doing the "root (hdx,y)" command also shows how grub sees the drives
>>> and partitions. I booted a grub floppy with 4 drives plugged in and can
>>> confirm that on this board grub sees them all exactly and correctly in
>>> sequence same as bios does.
>>
>> The mapping is done in /boot/grub/device.map and may lack mapping for those
>> two later hard drives.
>

> Can't use map files cause drives are swinging in/out like chopper blades
> most of the time.
>
>>> The one surprise here was that the top 40gb #15 partition on my 2tb
>>> drive is too high for bios and for grub.
>>
>> Think there was some kind of limitation on the number of partitions in 0.9x
>> Grub (but I may mistaken).
>
> With SATA drives I've been using up to 15 partitions and if I remember
> correctly even more than that with PATAs.

Grub isn't Linux, they don't work in the same way and those can have
differences (hardware can also make differences, like a PowerPC based machine
may support far more than 4 primary partitions, but this ain't the problem for
you).

You haven't thought of using LVM, with so many partitions, you are prone to
run out of space a lot easier, with LVM you could assign more space in a quite
simple way, you can create snapshots if you are experimenting, so you can
return to a state before the experiment, or even mirroring data (if you use
more than one hard drive). The main difference between RAID and LVM is hat you
can have different settings for each LVM while RAID you have to select one
kind for each array.

>> Another thing that could make disks to "switch" order is
>> "spin up time", if your hard drive is damaged and your kernel don't use the
>> data from BIOS, then it can take longer for it to say "Hi" and therefore will
>> get a higher device name.
>
> No labels, I use strictly /dev/name. Disk id might work but I do a lot
> of mirroring with dd and it would be just too complicated.

It's just one more command to run, not really that much complicated and using
labels and setting them correctly could have saved you from this problem.

>>> Just looking at the sequence shown in the earlier install episode it
>>> strikes me that sda-sdb ........sdg-sdh has a 4 disk gap in addition to
>>> a wrong sequence.
>>
>> Can much be some odd udev rule, check that you don't have an odd persistent
>> udev rule or persistent-cd rule which has already used up the sdc - sdf.
>> Another reason can be that your motherboard has 4 SATA and 2 SATA-RAID, where
>> the pots for the SATA gets sda - sdd, while those connected to the SATA-RAID
>> will get sde-sdh.
>
> I looked at the manual and it just talks 4 sata connectors which are
> numbered 1-4. I don't see any raid connectors as such, raid setup is in
> BIOS.

Check that your "sda" is really connected to SATA1, so you haven't just at
some point put it in SATA4 and then changed boot order in BIOS.
This would explain why the booting don't work with your 3 disks setup, you
read the kernel from the machine with the kernel in hd0,0, but the kernel will
see the other disk as /dev/sda and that one does lack your high partition.

Your motherboard most likely has "two" SATA, which makes you to get a jump in
device numbering.

>>> I have no more pata drives but still need one ribbon for
>>> the DVD burner.
>>
>> Do a "ls -l /dev/cdrom" to see which device it really uses or check the
>> persistent-cd rule.
>
> I've pulled the optical burner and will use it externally on usb. Then
> I'll look for a way to completely disable everything PATA that I find
> (later).

The usb CD-rom will become an /dev/sdX and that one can cause you a lot more
trouble. Keep the PATA CD-rom unit, so that you get less confusing/randomness
with your devices.

--

//Aho