From: unruh on
On 2010-06-06, nomail@_INVALID_no.org <nomail@_INVALID_no.org> wrote:
> On 06/05/2010 01:54 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> nomail@_INVALID_no.org a ?crit :

>> I suspect udev messed up again when something changed.
>> How is the root= defined in /boot/grub/menu.lst ?
>
> Always as root=/dev/sdaXx

I am sorry, but why are you being coy? It is not sdaXx but something
substituted in for that Xx. Why not tell us?

>> Anything about sd* in the kernel log (can you drop a shell and run dmesg
>> in the initramfs) ?
>
> Tomorrow maybe, the main drive is hooked to a notebook for the night.
>
>>> Doesn't the kernel load the partition tables on boot from bios?
>>
>> No. It loads them itself. The BIOS does not know anything about partitions.
The bios knows only about sector and cylinders. Everything else is the
operating system and file system driver.
The partition table is part of the MBR, the first 1KB on the disk

From: Java Jive on
Just to clarify for anyone who is any doubt, this is how an OS is
booted from disk on a PC:
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/PCHardware/PCBootProcess/PCBootProcess.html

From: nomail on
On 06/06/2010 01:52 AM, J.O. Aho wrote:
> nomail@_INVALID_no.org wrote:
>> On 06/05/2010 02:40 PM, J.O. Aho wrote:
>>> nomail@_INVALID_no.org wrote:
>>
>> Gee, thanks for the extensive writ!

>>> The mapping is done in /boot/grub/device.map and may lack mapping for those
>>> two later hard drives.
>>

>> Can't use map files cause drives are swinging in/out like chopper blades
>> most of the time.

>>> Think there was some kind of limitation on the number of partitions in 0.9x
>>> Grub (but I may mistaken).
>>
>> With SATA drives I've been using up to 15 partitions and if I remember
>> correctly even more than that with PATAs.
>
> Grub isn't Linux, they don't work in the same way and those can have
> differences (hardware can also make differences, like a PowerPC based machine
> may support far more than 4 primary partitions, but this ain't the problem for
> you).
>
> You haven't thought of using LVM, with so many partitions, you are prone to
> run out of space a lot easier, with LVM you could assign more space in a quite
> simple way, you can create snapshots if you are experimenting, so you can
> return to a state before the experiment, or even mirroring data (if you use
> more than one hard drive). The main difference between RAID and LVM is hat you
> can have different settings for each LVM while RAID you have to select one
> kind for each array.
>

>>> Another thing that could make disks to "switch" order is
>>> "spin up time", if your hard drive is damaged and your kernel don't use the
>>> data from BIOS, then it can take longer for it to say "Hi" and therefore will
>>> get a higher device name.
>>
>> No labels, I use strictly /dev/name. Disk id might work but I do a lot
>> of mirroring with dd and it would be just too complicated.
>
> It's just one more command to run, not really that much complicated and using
> labels and setting them correctly could have saved you from this problem.

>>> Can much be some odd udev rule, check that you don't have an odd persistent
>>> udev rule or persistent-cd rule which has already used up the sdc - sdf.
>>> Another reason can be that your motherboard has 4 SATA and 2 SATA-RAID, where
>>> the pots for the SATA gets sda - sdd, while those connected to the SATA-RAID
>>> will get sde-sdh.
>>
>> I looked at the manual and it just talks 4 sata connectors which are
>> numbered 1-4. I don't see any raid connectors as such, raid setup is in
>> BIOS.
>
> Check that your "sda" is really connected to SATA1, so you haven't just at
> some point put it in SATA4 and then changed boot order in BIOS.
> This would explain why the booting don't work with your 3 disks setup, you
> read the kernel from the machine with the kernel in hd0,0, but the kernel will
> see the other disk as /dev/sda and that one does lack your high partition.

I'll check this out, for now i'm busy prepping a eeeeeeeeeeeeeepc :-)

The other idea of reading the dmsg is probably a good one too, not that
I could understand most of it. The question is how to recover it? Every
suspect boot is incomplete by definition and by the time I get a good
one the boot message has been overwritten. Maybe if I boot another
partition the second time with only two disks and then fish out the dmsg
from the first?

From: nomail on

When grub2 arrives (already has with Debian-500, Suse follows in July)
it will use 1 for the first disk but 0 for the first partition OR VICE
VERSA, I forget :-)))

From: J.O. Aho on
nomail@_INVALID_no.org wrote:
> On 06/06/2010 01:52 AM, J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> I looked at the manual and it just talks 4 sata connectors which are
>>> numbered 1-4. I don't see any raid connectors as such, raid setup is in
>>> BIOS.
>>
>> Check that your "sda" is really connected to SATA1, so you haven't just at
>> some point put it in SATA4 and then changed boot order in BIOS.
>> This would explain why the booting don't work with your 3 disks setup, you
>> read the kernel from the machine with the kernel in hd0,0, but the kernel will
>> see the other disk as /dev/sda and that one does lack your high partition.
>
> I'll check this out, for now i'm busy prepping a eeeeeeeeeeeeeepc :-)
>
> The other idea of reading the dmsg is probably a good one too, not that
> I could understand most of it. The question is how to recover it? Every
> suspect boot is incomplete by definition and by the time I get a good
> one the boot message has been overwritten. Maybe if I boot another
> partition the second time with only two disks and then fish out the dmsg
> from the first?

Much depends on your distro, some distros do save the dmesg to /var/log/dmesg
and then you can read /var/log/dmesg.X what happen previous times you booted.

--

//Aho