From: Horsepower on

Let me start by saying that I have followed Slipstick since Gus Hallgren
gave me a great testimonial about Sue Mosher in the mid 90s. I have been
posting at the MS forums and have had great answers, but i still am not
sure what I want to do in this scenario.

I have Outlook 2007 and until my second job's organization upgraded
Exchange, was quite satisfied. I have 7 email accounts in my profile, 5
pop, 1 imap, 2 hotmail. The MS sign in client wants to create a separate
profile in Outlook, but I want to have everything in one place
(profile).
Suggestions appreciated,
Thank you

--
Horsepower
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Horsepower" <Horsepower.47ey4m(a)invalid> wrote in message

> Let me start by saying that I have followed Slipstick since Gus Hallgren
> gave me a great testimonial about Sue Mosher in the mid 90s. I have been
> posting at the MS forums and have had great answers, but i still am not
> sure what I want to do in this scenario.
>
> I have Outlook 2007 and until my second job's organization upgraded
> Exchange, was quite satisfied. I have 7 email accounts in my profile, 5
> pop, 1 imap, 2 hotmail. The MS sign in client wants to create a separate
> profile in Outlook, but I want to have everything in one place
> (profile).
> Suggestions appreciated,

Since Outlook 97, IMAP accounts and the Outlook Connector (since Outlook
2000), if that's what you're using to access Hotmail, have ALWAYS created
their own folder sets. There's simply no way to avoid that because those
account types are server-based and the server keeps track of its own folder
set which doesn't need to match the Outlook folder sets. Thus you need a
folder set that matches what's on the server. Your POP accounts will
aggregate with the Exchange account, but there's nothing you can do for the
IMAP account. If you switch to accessing your Hotmail accounts via POP, then
you can aggregate them with Exchange as well, but you'll lose access to any
Hotmail folder other than Inbox and it will be one-way, from Hotmail to your
PC.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Horsepower on

'Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
> ;130441']"Horsepower" <Horsepower.47ey4m(a)invalid> wrote in message
> [color=blue]
>
> Since Outlook 97, IMAP accounts and the Outlook Connector (since
> Outlook
> 2000), if that's what you're using to access Hotmail, have ALWAYS
> created
> their own folder sets. There's simply no way to avoid that because
> those
> account types are server-based and the server keeps track of its own
> folder
> set which doesn't need to match the Outlook folder sets. Thus you need
> folder set that matches what's on the server. Your POP accounts will
> aggregate with the Exchange account, but there's nothing you can do for
> the
> IMAP account. If you switch to accessing your Hotmail accounts via
> POP, then
> you can aggregate them with Exchange as well, but you'll lose access to
> any
> Hotmail folder other than Inbox and it will be one-way, from Hotmail to
> your
> PC.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

So it looks like I would be better off just accessing the exchange mail
via OWA (outlook web access) and not having the convenience of all of my
day to day operations in one place.

--
Horsepower
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Horsepower" <Horsepower.47k9ka(a)invalid> wrote in message

> So it looks like I would be better off just accessing the exchange mail
> via OWA (outlook web access) and not having the convenience of all of my
> day to day operations in one place.

I'm not sure why you believe all your day-to-day operations won't be in one
place just because you'll have more than one folder set. All the folders will
be available at one time in one mail profile. Your Exchange calendar and your
Hotmail calendars will all be right there in the Calendar view of the
Navigation Pane. Your Exchange mail folders, your Hotmail mail folders, and
your IMAP folders will all be available at the same time. You can simply move
things around from one folder to the other, if you need to do that.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Horsepower on

'Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
> ;130863']"Horsepower" <Horsepower.47k9ka(a)invalid> wrote in message
> [color=blue]
>
> I'm not sure why you believe all your day-to-day operations won't be in
> one
> place just because you'll have more than one folder set. All the
> folders will
> be available at one time in one mail profile. Your Exchange calendar
> and your
> Hotmail calendars will all be right there in the Calendar view of the
> Navigation Pane. Your Exchange mail folders, your Hotmail mail
> folders, and
> your IMAP folders will all be available at the same time. You can
> simply move
> things around from one folder to the other, if you need to do that.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

So since Microsoft online services forces creating it's own profile, I
can set up all of my email and rss accounts in the new profile, then
import the calendar and contacts into the new profile. I just need to
have the last 2 months of only the pop emails imported as well. That way
I don't have to go to 2 different profiles within Outlook. It's very
confusing. Thank you.
(after that) hope my pda sync's correctly.

--
Horsepower
http://forums.slipstick.com