From: David W. Fenton on
John W. Vinson <jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 7 May 2010 13:06:01 -0700, danklebs
><danklebs(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>There needs to be a show my posts button or something because I
>>can never find my post. Something that will take you to your
>>posts. That would be extremely helpful
>
> At least while the newsgroups still live, that can be done at
> http://groups.google.com. Use Advanced Search.

There's nothing MS can do to kill the instances of the
microsoft.public.* newsgroups hosted on other news servers, so I'm
pretty sure things will continue.

I, for one, think it would be better if there were a single
newsgroup for Access questions, as the breakdown by topic in the
ms.public hierarchy just makes it hard to figure out where to look
for answers. If everybody moved to comp.databases.ms-access, that
would not be a disaster, in my opinion.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
"Ron Hinds" <nospam(a)dontspamme.com> wrote in

> That is an extremely useful function of the Outlook Express
> newsreader, which, sadly, won't work for very much longer since MS
> is moving to a web forum-based system and away from NNTP ;-(

Not true. The newsgroups will continue to exist on other news
servers. It's only msnews.microsoft.com that is being shut down.
That means that posts on the MS discussion website that were
previously propagated to other news servers will no longer propagate
outside MS, but, well, most of the good people in the Access
newsgroups aren't posting through MS's news server or the crappy
forum website.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Dirk Goldgar on
"Richard" <Richard(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Also the spam
> here is so annoying. Second almost all of the regular contributors [MVP]
> and
> others can be found else where in other forums.

I don't think that's true, unless you count the "forums" that are just
slurping posts from the newsgroups. I will grant, though, that there are a
number of regulars who also post regularly on Utter Access; even some who
mostly post there and only drop in on the newsgroups occasionally.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: Dirk Goldgar on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Not true. The newsgroups will continue to exist on other news
> servers. It's only msnews.microsoft.com that is being shut down.

You make a good point. I remember years ago when Microsoft dropped
<microsoft.public.access> entirely, in favor of its subgroups, but the group
wouldn't die and eventually they took it back under their wing.

> That means that posts on the MS discussion website that were
> previously propagated to other news servers will no longer propagate
> outside MS, but, well, most of the good people in the Access
> newsgroups aren't posting through MS's news server or the crappy
> forum website.

I'm not sure of this, though of course it depends on who you consider "good
people". I know I switched years ago from my ISP's news server (back when
they had one) to msnews.microsoft.com, because my ISP only carried some of
the posts. And now lots of ISP's have dropped their own news servers, so
many people have to post either to Microsoft's server or else pay for use of
a commercial news server. My (unverified) impression from the MVPs I know
is that those who post heavily in the newsgroups are using msnews.

From: Arthur Mauterer on

On 5/8/10 11:13 PM, in article OYFN$3y7KHA.1888(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, "Dirk
Goldgar" <dg(a)NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote:

> "Richard" <Richard(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Also the spam
>> here is so annoying. Second almost all of the regular contributors [MVP]
>> and
>> others can be found else where in other forums.
>

> I don't think that's true, unless you count the "forums" that are just
> slurping posts from the newsgroups. I will grant, though, that there are a
> number of regulars who also post regularly on Utter Access; even some who
> mostly post there and only drop in on the newsgroups occasionally.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Simple Delete Query
Next: help files in Access 2007 VB