From: David W. Fenton on
"Dirk Goldgar" <dg(a)NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote in

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> Not true. The newsgroups will continue to exist on other news
>> servers. It's only msnews.microsoft.com that is being shut down.
>
> You make a good point. I remember years ago when Microsoft dropped
><microsoft.public.access> entirely, in favor of its subgroups, but
>the group
> wouldn't die and eventually they took it back under their wing.
>
>> That means that posts on the MS discussion website that were
>> previously propagated to other news servers will no longer
>> propagate outside MS, but, well, most of the good people in the
>> Access newsgroups aren't posting through MS's news server or the
>> crappy forum website.
>
> I'm not sure of this, though of course it depends on who you
> consider "good people". I know I switched years ago from my ISP's
> news server (back when they had one) to msnews.microsoft.com,
> because my ISP only carried some of the posts. And now lots of
> ISP's have dropped their own news servers, so many people have to
> post either to Microsoft's server or else pay for use of a
> commercial news server. My (unverified) impression from the MVPs
> I know is that those who post heavily in the newsgroups are using
> msnews.

Well, one could figure that out by looking at the headers of their
messages.

There is free newsgroup access to text-based groups provided by
Eternal September:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Their coverage is perfectly good (I have them set up and compare
them to the MS news server and Newsguy.com, which is what I use as
my main news server).

I'm trying the NNTP Bridge for the MS forums, but it's pretty ugly.
If you think the organization of the microsoft.public.* newsgroups
was bad, you haven't seen anything. xNews couldn't deal with the
non-ASCII content (did you know that none of the NNTP-related RFCs
has ever allowed for high-ASCII, let alone Unicode?), so I'm right
now downloading content with Thunderbird to see if it can handle it.
Thunderbird is able to properly display the non-compliant content
headers, but so far, I haven't found anything useful.

I'll continue reporting as I work with it.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
First  |  Prev  |