From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On May 31, 3:10 am, Neil Jones <n...(a)dev.null> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a couple of old Dell PowerEdge servers with Dual Pentiums with 1
> GB RAM and 4 160GB RAID disks.  We don't know what type of RAID disks
> are on this system though.
>
> I would like to setup a NAS server using both the machines as one NAS
> server.  Is there any tutorial on how to setup a NAS server?  I am
> familiar with NFS but I recently heard of OpenFiler as a NAS solution.
> Is this the only open source NAS solution?
>
> Any information/pointers/advice is appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance.

No problem. I had a bit of trouble sending a message today about this,
apparently because "comp.hardware" is marked as "archived" on my NNTP
services and I cannot reply to it. This isn't really a plain hardware
issues, is it?

I've not used Openfiler, but it seems to be a wrapped up bundle of
common NAS tools. You need to think about what you want to serve:
large amounts of small files? A mail service, or newsgroup? A source
control system? A backup server? NFS for UNIX and Linx? CIFS for
Windows boxes? Or what?

That will give us a guideline about what you might need or what to
look out for. And which Linuxes have you worked with?

And oh, Ignore Mr. "RayLopez99". He''s a habitual Windows troll who
just discovered this newsgroup.

From: Aragorn on
On Monday 31 May 2010 23:19 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody identifying
as RayLopez99 wrote...

> On May 31, 10:10 am, Neil Jones <n...(a)dev.null> wrote:
>
>> Any information/pointers/advice is appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>
> No. Go away. This group is only interested in flaming.

No, that would rather be what *you* are interested in, and why you have
chosen to ask such a nonsensical question that every poweruser in the
world should know the answer to instinctively in a newsgroup which has
nothing to do with the question at hand in the first place, while at
the same time crossposting the thread to comp.os.linux.advocacy, a
group infested with Windows trolls who like nothing other than to waste
other people's time by attacking them on who they are and bullying
them, out of the sheer frustration over the fact that they are far more
intelligent than you are.

> They don't know if Linpus Linux will allow you to connect your Acer
> $300 PC to the internet or not, [...

Do you know of *any* *single* *computer* manufactured in the 21st
century which is uncapable of being connected to the internet?

Besides, since you obviously have a cognitive disability, the answer to
your silly question - in a post in which you did more flaming and threw
more venom into our faces than you were actually stating technical
facts - *was* given to you, *by* myself. You just indicated in the
follow-up post that you were unable to read and understand plain
English.

Or perhaps you didn't *want* to read the reply, because your post was
never intended to seek an answer to your ridiculous question in the
first place? Most regulars in comp.os.linux.setup clearly agree that
your sole intent was to troll, and if that is the case, then surely
feigning an inability to read and comprehend a clear answer in plain
English would indeed be the right strategy to continue the
flamebaiting. Which you did.

> ...] so why should they know the answer to your more complex question?

Because his question was more honest than yours, perhaps?

> See my other thread.

Everyone looking at that other thread knows you're a troll, and then I'm
not even going to mention your prior activities which all confirm that
very same thing.

> GO away troll.

I think that's some good advice to yourself.

> linux is perfect and requires no information that's not in the
> Help /man page files that you can grep.

Yes, that about sums it up. Of course, given that you call yourself "a
power-user", one could posit that in order to successfully use
GNU/Linux, one would have to be more intelligent than "a power-user".
Well, at least more intelligent than a power-user of *your* caliber,
hat is.

Here's some good advice for you - not that you're likely to give a damn,
but I'm gonna say it anyway, since it is the truth...: If you are
feeling inadequate or stupid, and you are feeling frustration over
that, then try working on improving your knowledge and understanding
instead of harassing good people with bulkloads of untruthful,
dishonest and deliberately offensive claims as the padding for a stupid
question that even a 12-year old who's never used GNU/Linux before
would know the answer to.

There's only one troll in this thread, Ray Lopez, and it is you. Now
please get a life. Or a brain. Or ideally, both.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)