From: RayLopez99 on
So for this non-power user who only surfs the net to check email, I'm
thinking that I might get her a $300 ACER Aspire R3610 M330 320G RAM
2G Mini Desktop LINUX--running Linpus Linux (what a stupid name;
sounds like a disease).

But my concern is that though the screenshots look good from what I've
seen in Google, if it's already factory installed can she plug it into
a DSL modem supplied by one of the Baby Bells, will the modem be
recognized, and will she be good to go, so she can check her email at
Yahoo email, or, do I have to do something to make the dang system
work?

This is an ideal user--if ever there was one--for Linux, but unless
Linux needs zero hand holding and installation help, I'm not going to
get it. Personally as a power user I cannot see myself using anything
but a first class OS like Windows.

Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only, though
I am copying COLA.

RL
From: ray on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 05:41:36 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> So for this non-power user who only surfs the net to check email, I'm
> thinking that I might get her a $300 ACER Aspire R3610 M330 320G RAM 2G
> Mini Desktop LINUX--running Linpus Linux (what a stupid name; sounds
> like a disease).
>
> But my concern is that though the screenshots look good from what I've
> seen in Google, if it's already factory installed can she plug it into a
> DSL modem supplied by one of the Baby Bells, will the modem be
> recognized, and will she be good to go, so she can check her email at
> Yahoo email, or, do I have to do something to make the dang system work?
>
> This is an ideal user--if ever there was one--for Linux, but unless
> Linux needs zero hand holding and installation help, I'm not going to
> get it. Personally as a power user I cannot see myself using anything
> but a first class OS like Windows.
>
> Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only, though I
> am copying COLA.
>
> RL

Of course NoBallsLopez is not serious. He never has been. Consider his
three failed attempts to gather 'support' - telling us he'd leave if he
got no 'votes'. It happened, and here he is.
From: Rick on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 05:41:36 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

(snip)

> Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only, though I
> am copying COLA.
>
> RL

comp.os.linux.setup be warned. Lopez is a particularly successful troll.
No matter how you answer he will get around to telling you only serious
work is done with Microsoft Office.

--
Rick
From: The Natural Philosopher on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> So for this non-power user who only surfs the net to check email, I'm
> thinking that I might get her a $300 ACER Aspire R3610 M330 320G RAM
> 2G Mini Desktop LINUX--running Linpus Linux (what a stupid name;
> sounds like a disease).
>
> But my concern is that though the screenshots look good from what I've
> seen in Google, if it's already factory installed can she plug it into
> a DSL modem supplied by one of the Baby Bells, will the modem be
> recognized, and will she be good to go, so she can check her email at
> Yahoo email, or, do I have to do something to make the dang system
> work?
>
> This is an ideal user--if ever there was one--for Linux, but unless
> Linux needs zero hand holding and installation help, I'm not going to
> get it. Personally as a power user I cannot see myself using anything
> but a first class OS like Windows.

What? power users use Linux. Windows is the toy OS...

> Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only, though
> I am copying COLA.

More fool you, unless this is a deliberate troll.

From: RayLopez99 on
On May 30, 10:56 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:
> > Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good?  Serious replies only, though
> > I am copying COLA.
>
> More fool you, unless this is a deliberate troll.

Unless. Why don't you give an opinion on the Linpus, pus?

This is the fabled "Linux community"?

RL