From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
Hello;

I am setting up a linux system, I am running debian:

Linux me 2.6.26-2-686

and need to understand the following: I have HP scanner. When I run
the command

scanimage -L

as root, then the scanner is detected. When I run the command
xscanimage as root, then the scanner works.

But when I am a normal user, scanimage -L does not see the scanner and
it follows that xscanimage does not see the scanner.

Do I have to be root each time to use the scanner? This is clearly a
permission problem of some sort.

What do I need to do to allow normal user to 'see' the scanner?

thanks
--Nasser
From: John Hasler on
You most likely need to add yourself to the "scanner" group.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: John Reiser on
>> You most likely need to add yourself to the "scanner" group.

> Being in the "scanner" group isn't good enough. The problem
> (I think) is that the USB hotplug interface changes the permissions
> ... every time you attach the scanner.

If your system is using "udev" to maintain the device entries in /dev,
including hotplugging (many Linux systems now use udev), then
Google for "udev scanner" and visit
http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2007/11/08/usb-scanner-and-udev/
where the key is to make a file (for example):
----- /etc/udev/rules.d/42-scanner.rules
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Canon", ATTRS{product}=="CanoScan", GROUP="scanner"
-----
and then add users to group 'scanner'.