From: Aragorn on
On Friday 04 June 2010 12:45 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as Hadron wrote...

> Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> writes:
>
>> On Sunday 30 May 2010 17:33 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>> identifying as RayLopez99 wrote...
>>
>>> [...] since Linux does not have a Office suite, [...
>>
>> That's a flagrant lie. OpenOffice, KOffice and Lotus Notes are all
>> office suites for GNU/Linux (and other UNIX systems) - which are also
>> available to Windows, by the way. And they were /ported/ to Windows,
>> because they were originally developed for UNIX.
>
> However your post highlights two things:-
>
> 1) Anyone using a Tolkeinesque nym is an idiot

Oh really? And how typical for a C.O.L.A. resident to go ad hominem.
Seems like that's what you people get off on.

> 2) You know jack about about OpenOffice, KOffice or Lotus Notes.

OpenOffice is available for Windows and is - as I wrote - fully
ODF-compliant. KOffice is part of the KDE application suite and all of
KDE is gradually being ported to Windows. It too has ODF support.
Lotus Notes - at least, the newest version - is basically a an IBM
rewrite and revamp of OpenOffice - see IBM's website for details.

> Other than that not bad "advocacy".

Yeah, *one* of us had to be serious.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: William Poaster on
Aragorn wrote:

> On Friday 04 June 2010 12:45 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
> identifying as Hadron wrote...
>
>> Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> On Sunday 30 May 2010 17:33 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>>> identifying as RayLopez99 wrote...

>>> That's a flagrant lie. OpenOffice, KOffice and Lotus Notes are all
>>> office suites for GNU/Linux (and other UNIX systems) - which are also
>>> available to Windows, by the way. And they were /ported/ to Windows,
>>> because they were originally developed for UNIX.
>>
>> However your post highlights two things:-
>>
>> 1) Anyone using a Tolkeinesque nym is an idiot

And someone who *claimed* to have worked at CERN (but didn't seem to know
about the Linux distro that CERN & Fermi scientists developed for use
throughout their communities, claiming windoze was in wide use) & who uses a
nym from particle physics, isn't?

> Oh really? And how typical for a C.O.L.A. resident to go ad hominem.
> Seems like that's what you people get off on.

That ignorant troll especially.

>> 2) You know jack about about OpenOffice, KOffice or Lotus Notes.
>
> OpenOffice is available for Windows and is - as I wrote - fully
> ODF-compliant. KOffice is part of the KDE application suite and all of
> KDE is gradually being ported to Windows. It too has ODF support.
> Lotus Notes - at least, the newest version - is basically a an IBM
> rewrite and revamp of OpenOffice - see IBM's website for details.
>
>> Other than that not bad "advocacy".
>
> Yeah, *one* of us had to be serious.

And not an obnoxious, supercilious troll....like him. :)

--
FreeBSD 8.0 64-bit
Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit
From: William Poaster on
James Westwood wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 23:19:46 +0100, William Poaster
> wrote:
>
>> Aragorn wrote:
>>
>>> On Monday 31 May 2010 23:17 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody identifying
>>> as RayLopez99 wrote...

>>> Your conspicuous lack of understanding of the basics of an operating
>>> system and of basic 21st century network technology contradicts that
>>> statement.
>>
>> He's just trolling. The troll has asked similar questions before, over &
>> over & over...
>> For one example google: "Seriously, does anyone seriously use linx" or
>> similar, which the troll posted about a dozen times.
>
> A quick Google and he would have had his answer 3 days
> ago.
> It seems that no matter what advice people offer he
> finds something wrong with the suggestion.
> It's a never ending meta thread along the lines of
> what's the meaning of life.

Seems the crossposting Dopez99 troll has started a couple of threads along
similar lines.

--
FreeBSD 8.0 64-bit
Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit
From: chrisv on
Aragorn wrote:

> Hadron quacked:
>>
>> 1) Anyone using a Tolkeinesque nym is an idiot
>
>Oh really? And how typical for a C.O.L.A. resident to go ad hominem.
>Seems like that's what you people get off on.

All "Hadron" has is snot and lies. If you take them away, he'll have
nothing.

--
"The claim by some that ITS NEVER necessary to use the command line is
pure & utter bullshit." - Hadron Quark, (again) lying about what