From: gargoyle60 on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:19:44 -0500, Rick <none(a)mail.invalid> wrote:

>only serious
>work is done with Microsoft Office

ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ! (falls off chair!)
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 31 May 2010 08:38 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody identifying
as RayLopez99 wrote...

> On May 31, 6:49 am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>> as RayLopez99 wrote...
>> > So for this non-power user who only surfs the net to check email,
>> > I'm thinking that I might get her a $300 ACER Aspire R3610 M330
>> > 320G RAM 2G Mini Desktop LINUX--running Linpus Linux (what a stupid
>> > name; sounds like a disease).
>>
>> I will agree with you on the name.  It does indeed sound like
>> something nasty.  But then again, so does "Vista".
>
> Yes and no. Yes it sounds nasty. No on Vista. Vista is like "Visa"
> or "view".

Sounds nasty enough to me. Like a veneral disease or something. <grin>

>> What's important here is that the distribution comes pre-installed on
>> the machine from the vendor and that it should thus be guaranteed to
>> work - covered by warranty! - with each and every component of the
>> machine itself.  This is no different from when you buy an Apple
>> machine with OS X or any of the machines that come pre-installed with
>> Windows, or a smartphone with Symbian, Windows CE or whatever.  If a
>> hardware manufacturer pre-installs an operating system, then that
>> hardware manufacturer is liable for the functioning of this
>> pre-installed system (but not for mis-use of it).
>
> Whatever. Let's answer the question shall we?

This was a sound and valid explanation, since it tells you that the
hardware vendor guarantees the usability and integration of all of the
machine's features.

>> > But my concern is that though the screenshots look good from what
>> > I've seen in Google, if it's already factory installed can she plug
>> > it into a DSL modem supplied by one of the Baby Bells, will the
>> > modem be recognized, and will she be good to go, so she can check
>> > her email at Yahoo email, or, do I have to do something to make the
>> > dang system work?
>>
>> DLS modems typically have an standard ethernet connection to the
>> machine and do not need to be "recognized" by the operating system,
>> any more than that your wall power socket needs to be.
>
> Whatever. Let's answer the question, shall we?

I just did. If you fail to comprehend what I had written there, I would
suggest going back to elementary school and taking reading lessons.

>> What you probably /might/ have to set up is the typical ISP stuff -
>> e.g. username and password for the POP or IMAP e-mail accounts, if
>> any - but the internet connection itself should all be handled
>> automatically by the DHCP client at boot time.  In some
>> distributions, it might also be necessary to manually enable NTP
>> support, but that should be as trivial as marking a checkbox.
>
> AHA! Now we're talking. "Marking a checkbox". Does Linpus have this
> checkbox somewhere?

Most likely, yes.

> Where would it be--on the main screen after you bootup, like Windows
> Settings | Control Panel?

It should be in whatever control panel the system comes with, and this
control panel in itself should be easily accessible, either in the form
of a desktop icon or in the form of a menu entry.

It would be called something like "Configure your computer", "System
Administration" or something similarly sounding, and once you have
opened up that application, you should then normally have settings for
the system clock. The checkbox should be there, and considering that
this machine comes from the vendor as a GNU/Linux-only system, you
should also make sure that the hardware clock is set to UTC, not to
local time[1]. This too should be a checkbox within the same window
pane.

[1] Setting the hardware clock to local time is only needed if the
machine is running Windows, either as a standalone operating system
or in dualboot with GNU/Linux.

>> > This is an ideal user--if ever there was one--for Linux, [...
>>
>> Nonsensical claim and trollbaiting.  An ideal user for GNU/Linux
>> would rather be someone who values the merits of a genuine, powerful,
>> portable, flexible, versatile, stable and secure operating system
>> over
>
> Whatever. I'm coding now a peer-to-peer program using Silverlight and
> web methods. Try that in PHP or whatever bogus language you Linux
> nuts use.

Without any details, I cannot tell you what GNU/Linux alternatives there
are for Silverlight, since I am not familiar with what that even is,
other than that it's a Microsoft technology.

>> > ...] but unless Linux needs zero hand holding and installation
>> > help,
>> > [...
>>
>> Another nonsensical claim, as *no* operating system is ever without
>> flaws, and Windows - your little baby - certainly also requires
>> handholding, even for those who are experienced at it.  What do you
>> think Microsoft has a help desk or a Knowledge Base on their website
>> for?
>
> OK, now we're talking. Are you saying Linpus has a help desk or
> Knowledge Base, if I cannot configure an internet connection?

That is not what I was saying at all, no, and if you really must know
the answer to that, then you could just as easily have looked at the
website for Linpus and ascertained whether this is a commercial entity
or not. If yes, then they would normally have some sort of help desk,
and like all GNU/Linux distributions - commercial or otherwise - they
probably will have some sort of searchable knowledge base, yes.

However, since the machine comes pre-installed with Linpus from its
vendor - Acer, was it? - this vendor should *also* have a knowledgebase
available, and I suspect that they will also be offering a limited
support via telephone or e-mail with regard to the usage of the system.
Like I wrote earlier on, they are selling that machine with Linpus on
it, so they are responsible for all aspects of the machine's usability.

>> Most of my friends use Windows on their desktop machines and laptops,
>> and *all* of them are nagging or complaining about installation
>> quirks or other aspects of Windows when they are upgrading to a newer
>> version of Windows.  So that's a newer version of the same system
>> they had already been using before, and in the use of which they
>> should normally be experienced.  And these people *are* so-called
>> power-users.
>
> OK, now we're talking. Are you saying that Linpus also will have
> these problems, for setting up an internet connection or email
> account?

No, again, that is not what I was saying. Setting up an e-mail account
is not even "a problem". It is something you will simply have to do in
each operating system, and it shouldn't be all that hard either. If
you have an e-mail account - be it POP3 or IMAP - with your ISP, then
your ISP should provide you with the necessary login settings for that
account.

Internet connectivity through DSL should not be a problem - as I wrote
higher up - because the machine will receive its IP address (and
possibly an ISP-determined hostname), its DNS servers and the likes all
via DHCP, and the machine will normally be configured with a DHCP
client enabled at boot time so that it does indeed pick up that
information.

>> A "first class OS like Windows"?  Bwhahahahahaha!  Did you just
>> teleport to the 21st century from the middle ages, where they still
>> believed that innocent old ladies with knowledge of herbs and plants
>> were witches in league with Lucifer, who had to be burned at the
>> stake for their sins, or what?
>
> [b.s. by a person who is a self-admitted schizophrenic or something
> deleted]

And for a person who was bragging about his IQ being higher than that of
Albert Einstein - while not even be aware of what Einstein's IQ really
was - you have a remarkably poor memory, since I never said that I was
schizophrenic.

I'm autistic, which is *quite* a different thing. Schizophrenia is a
cognitive disorder. Autism is a neurological condition, and there is
nothing wrong whatsoever with my cognitive abilities. Therefore, none
of my claims can be considered to be delusional.

Calling Windows "a first class OS" on the other hand, well, now there's
what I call a massively delusional thought.

>> P.S.: Your question was not even on-topic for comp.os.linux.setup
>> (but perfectly suited for comp.os.linux.advocacy and what that group
>> has been about for at least the last half decade or so).  Hence the
>> follow-up to C.O.L.A.
>
> Aragorn, give it a rest.

Why don't *you* follow your own advice then?

> You did nothing but raise more questions
> than answers.

It is not my fault that you're unable to recognize an answer when it is
presented to you - I generally do expect basic reading skills from the
people I reply to - or that you are unaware of the fact that an
internet connection over DSL is simply a matter of running a DHCP
client. You obviously have no knowledge of very simple networking
protocols, and you call yourself a power user?

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Rick on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:02:14 -0400, James Westwood wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2010 06:53:49 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
>
>> On Monday 31 May 2010 02:05 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>> identifying as RayLopez99 wrote...

>>> Yes, these people are legends in their own mind. With their 1% market
>>> share.
>>
>> Market shares are irrelevant with regard to the quality of an operating
>> system.
>
> True, however one can not deny that Linux has for some reason not caught
> on with the general public. It just hasn't.

Very few "mainstream" computer users know of Linux based systems. Of
those that do, many don't want to learn a new system and collection of
applications. Some run into problems and decide to switch back to known
territory. Many don't know they can share files/media,etc quite easily.
And many succumb to the anti-FOSS FUD.

>> Alleged market shares represent commercially representative
>> statistics.
>
> True, in terms of items sold.
>

>> GNU/Linux, although commercially available, is not a
>> commercial product. It is still available as a freely downloadable
>> system - and is primarily acquired as such - and does not have to rely
>> on aggressive and monopolistic marketing tactics and deceitful
>> advertising in order to actually get used.
>

> Yet every single unbiased or even slightly biased source shows Linux to
> be hovering around 1 percent. That's pretty bad and why do all these
> numbers seem to agree, within reason?

Not every unbiased source shows the numbers as being that low.

>> There is also no required registration or activation procedure to allow
>> keeping track of the actual deployment and userbase. Ergo, invoking
>> alleged market shares as an argument is in itself already an unreliable
>> argument.
>
> Openoffice makes claims of x number of downloads yet how many people
> have actually seen Openoffice in the wild? I have not.

I have. Not very often, but I have seen it.

> I suspect people download it, try it and remove it. So does that mean it
> sucks?
> Of course not.
> In fact Openoffice is excellent IMHO. To claim it's taking over
> Microsoft Office is another thing however.
> It's not, IMHO.

I don't think it will, either.

--
Rick
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Aragorn wrote:
> On Monday 31 May 2010 02:05 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody identifying
> as RayLopez99 wrote...

>>> Legendary perhaps but not fabled.
>> Yes, these people are legends in their own mind. With their 1% market
>> share.
>
> Market shares are irrelevant with regard to the quality of an operating
> system.
Market share of any product that is not monitored is unreliable and if
not charged there is no market anyway, hence no share.

But then, intelligence and Windows advocacy are not things one generally
mentions in the same sentence without a negative. Certinly not in Ray' case.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
James Westwood wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 06:53:49 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
>
>> On Monday 31 May 2010 02:05 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody identifying
>> as RayLopez99 wrote...

>>> Yes, these people are legends in their own mind. With their 1% market
>>> share.
>> Market shares are irrelevant with regard to the quality of an operating
>> system.
>
> True, however one can not deny that Linux has for some
> reason not caught on with the general public.
> It just hasn't.

Because there is no money to be made selling it to them.

Free TV without adverts never really caught on, either.

> Yet every single unbiased or even slightly biased source
> shows Linux to be hovering around 1 percent.

Of what? consumer desktops? Perhaps.

Internet servers? nearer 90%.

Emebedded OS in routers and other appliances? probaly 30-40%.

> That's pretty bad and why do all these numbers seem to
> agree, within reason?

Personally I think its probably because they all come from the same source.

> Openoffice makes claims of x number of downloads yet how
> many people have actually seen Openoffice in the wild?
> I have not.

I get it from Debian repositories, not from Sun.

> I suspect people download it, try it and remove it.
> So does that mean it sucks?
> Of course not.
> In fact Openoffice is excellent IMHO.
> To claim it's taking over Microsoft Office is another
> thing however.
> It's not, IMHO.

Sad but true.

Actually the real answer is no one has a clue how many Linux desktops
there are out here, because its almost impossible to calculate, and no
one can be bothered to actually do a proper sample.

My gut feeling is that there are more every year, but of those lots are
dual boot or have windows in a virtual box etc.

Who actually cares though?

Linux is the best solution for me. I am not ramming it down anyone
else's throat though.

The way Ray likes to ram Windows..