From: RayLopez99 on
On May 31, 3:46 pm, Norman Peelman <npeel...(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>    If you had installed VirtualBox or VMWare as per a previous thread,
> you'd have these answers already. So far, you are the only person I know
> of that distro-hops without ever installing anything.

I'm posting from another machine now, one that does not support
Virtualization (it's only got a Pentium IV).

Ray
From: Peter Köhlmann on
RayLopez99 wrote:

> On May 31, 3:46 pm, Norman Peelman <npeel...(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>> If you had installed VirtualBox or VMWare as per a previous thread,
>> you'd have these answers already. So far, you are the only person I
>> know of that distro-hops without ever installing anything.
>
> I'm posting from another machine now, one that does not support
> Virtualization (it's only got a Pentium IV).
>
> Ray

Vmware does not need virtualization. So doesn't VirtualBox

So stop lying for a split second, will you?
--
If you had any brains, you'd be dangerous.

From: James Westwood on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:15:31 -0500, felmon wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:02:14 -0400, James Westwood wrote:
>
>> Openoffice makes claims of x number of downloads yet how many people
>> have actually seen Openoffice in the wild? I have not.
>
> I agree with your other points. Linux is not catching on in the US. (I am
> not so sure about other places in the world though.)
>
> anyway, I do see sightings of OO. I now see some (handful) students using
> OpenOffice. I assume they are using it via Windows but I haven't asked.
>
> Felmon

That's good news then because it's a very good program
and certainly good enough for most users needs.
--
James Westwood
Remove'spamo' to reply.
From: James Westwood on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 23:43:30 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

> On May 31, 8:02�am, James Westwood
> <westwood.spamoja...(a)rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yet every single unbiased or even slightly biased source
>> shows Linux to be hovering around 1 percent.
>> That's pretty bad and why do all these numbers seem to
>> agree, within reason?
>>
>>> There is also no required registration or activation procedure to allow
>>> keeping track of the actual deployment and userbase. �Ergo, invoking
>>> alleged market shares as an argument is in itself already an unreliable
>>> argument.
>>
>> Openoffice makes claims of x number of downloads yet how
>> many people have actually seen Openoffice in the wild?
>> I have not.
>> I suspect people download it, try it and remove it.
>> So does that mean it sucks?
>> Of course not.
>> In fact Openoffice is excellent IMHO.
>> To claim it's taking over Microsoft Office is another
>> thing however.
>> It's not, IMHO.
>>

> You sound reasonable. Consequently you'll not go far in COLA.

Is there some kind of pecking order here?

> Seriously, if you know whether it's easy to set up a DSL connection in
> Linpus Linux, please let me know, since I notice that the $300 machine
> does not even have a DVD/CD drive, so wiping out the Linux and
> installing XP, should it come to that, will be a problem. I need to
> have it work "out of the box". Remember, the target does not need
> anything but internet access, as she has email at Yahoo email and does
> not do anything but surf the net and send emails. No live chats,
> music downloads, etc. Should (I would imagine) be simple for Linux to
> do, but I'm not getting any positive reinforcement from these groups.
>
> RL

I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with Linpus
other than reading about it. It's a ridiculous name but
Vista is no winner either. Vista reminds me of some kind
of bicycle I think I might have rode as a kid.

--
James Westwood
Remove'spamo' to reply.
From: James Westwood on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:22:50 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> Eventhough this is an advocacy debate, the tone of your post is
> serious - for which I salute you - and therefore I will indulge in the
> advocacy aspect for a brief while. ;-)
>
> It is true that GNU/Linux has not caught on with the general public, but
> the reasons for that have nothing to do with the qualities of the
> GNU/Linux operating system (or any presumed lack thereof).

Wow! That was like reading short novel. I agree it has
nothing to do with the quality of Linux and more to do
with Microsoft being the first major player. Microsoft
software is entrenched and it's going to be very
difficult for any other software operating system to
challenge their market dominance. When Vista was
released and turned out to be such a poor product I
really believed that Linux had been given the golden
keys and that people who were upgrading their older
systems would move to Linux. It happened, but only at a
very small level and in fact Apple began seeing
increasing sales. A trend which continues to this day.
People are strange and sometimes predicting how and what
they will purchase or choose is more voodoo than
science. I am continually amazed at how much frustration
some people will tolerate and then watching them
sabotage themselves by jumping into the Microsoft
upgrade program is even more puzzling. My friends, most
of whom run Windows, are constantly having difficulties
of one sort or another. My friends who run Linux rarely
have problems other than an upgrade occasionally going
south. My Apple using friends don't even talk about the
hardware or the system. They seem to look at the
computer as a piece of art and the applications as the
paint they use to create.

My feeling is that as Linux gains inroads in the
educational system, the public sector and other places
where cost and long term costs in particular are
important, we will begin seeing Linux being used on
personal systems as well via Dell, HP, Lenovo and so
forth. At least that is what I hope will happen because
Linux is an excellent system and for most people it can
do everything Windows can do without burdening the user
with the constant maintenance that Windows requires.

--
James Westwood
Remove'spamo' to reply.