From: Matt Giwer on
On 05/30/2010 06:25 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> On May 30, 10:56 pm, The Natural Philosopher<t...(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>>> Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only, though
>>> I am copying COLA.
>> More fool you, unless this is a deliberate troll.

> Unless. Why don't you give an opinion on the Linpus, pus?
> This is the fabled "Linux community"?

Legendary perhaps but not fabled.

--
With the change from holocaust victims to holocaust martyrs the entire
matter must be rethought in light of the voluntary nature of the deaths.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> On May 30, 10:56 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>>> Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only, though
>>> I am copying COLA.
>> More fool you, unless this is a deliberate troll.
>
> Unless. Why don't you give an opinion on the Linpus, pus?
>
> This is the fabled "Linux community"?

Is it really?

I though it was the Ray Lopeez wank tank.

From: RayLopez99 on
On May 31, 2:33 am, Matt Giwer <jul...(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On 05/30/2010 06:25 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
>
> > This is the fabled "Linux community"?
>
>         Legendary perhaps but not fabled.

Yes, these people are legends in their own mind. With their 1% market
share. The one time in a decade I'm maybe interested in Linux I can't
get a straight answer (it's happened before).

You freetards are your own worst enemy.

RL
From: felmon on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 17:05:49 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> The one time in a decade I'm maybe interested in Linux I can't get a
> straight answer (it's happened before).

are you saying the other times these last months you said you were
genuinely interested, you were just trying to pull people's chain? are
you admitting to trolling?

Felmon
From: Aragorn on
[Follow-up set to comp.os.linux.advocacy, for obvious reasons]

On Sunday 30 May 2010 14:41 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody identifying
as RayLopez99 wrote...

> So for this non-power user who only surfs the net to check email, I'm
> thinking that I might get her a $300 ACER Aspire R3610 M330 320G RAM
> 2G Mini Desktop LINUX--running Linpus Linux (what a stupid name;
> sounds like a disease).

I will agree with you on the name. It does indeed sound like something
nasty. But then again, so does "Vista".

What's important here is that the distribution comes pre-installed on
the machine from the vendor and that it should thus be guaranteed to
work - covered by warranty! - with each and every component of the
machine itself. This is no different from when you buy an Apple
machine with OS X or any of the machines that come pre-installed with
Windows, or a smartphone with Symbian, Windows CE or whatever. If a
hardware manufacturer pre-installs an operating system, then that
hardware manufacturer is liable for the functioning of this
pre-installed system (but not for mis-use of it).

> But my concern is that though the screenshots look good from what I've
> seen in Google, if it's already factory installed can she plug it into
> a DSL modem supplied by one of the Baby Bells, will the modem be
> recognized, and will she be good to go, so she can check her email at
> Yahoo email, or, do I have to do something to make the dang system
> work?

DLS modems typically have an standard ethernet connection to the machine
and do not need to be "recognized" by the operating system, any more
than that your wall power socket needs to be.

What you probably /might/ have to set up is the typical ISP stuff - e.g.
username and password for the POP or IMAP e-mail accounts, if any - but
the internet connection itself should all be handled automatically by
the DHCP client at boot time. In some distributions, it might also be
necessary to manually enable NTP support, but that should be as trivial
as marking a checkbox.

> This is an ideal user--if ever there was one--for Linux, [...

Nonsensical claim and trollbaiting. An ideal user for GNU/Linux would
rather be someone who values the merits of a genuine, powerful,
portable, flexible, versatile, stable and secure operating system over
the pre-chewed, commercial-only and utterly proprietary junk from
certain OS vendors - notably those at a certain business in Redmond,
Washington, USA, whose hymns you so addictedly keep chanting.

> ...] but unless Linux needs zero hand holding and installation help,
> [...

Another nonsensical claim, as *no* operating system is ever without
flaws, and Windows - your little baby - certainly also requires
handholding, even for those who are experienced at it. What do you
think Microsoft has a help desk or a Knowledge Base on their website
for?

Most of my friends use Windows on their desktop machines and laptops,
and *all* of them are nagging or complaining about installation quirks
or other aspects of Windows when they are upgrading to a newer version
of Windows. So that's a newer version of the same system they had
already been using before, and in the use of which they should normally
be experienced. And these people *are* so-called power-users.

*Anyone* ever exposed to a computer for the first time will require (a
certain degree of) handholding, regardless of the operating system on
that computer, just like there aren't any cars out there that can be
driven by someone who's never even driven a car before in their life.

> ...] I'm not going to get it. Personally as a power user I cannot see
> myself using anything but a first class OS like Windows.

A "first class OS like Windows"? Bwhahahahahaha! Did you just teleport
to the 21st century from the middle ages, where they still believed
that innocent old ladies with knowledge of herbs and plants were
witches in league with Lucifer, who had to be burned at the stake for
their sins, or what?

Windows could only possibly be considered "first class" for someone who
doesn't have an IQ above room temperature (in Centigrade) and judges
the quality of the OS by the amount of expensively sounding icon names
and menu entries.

Once again - and completely in line with your previous crossposted
articles to GNU/Linux-related newsgroups other than C.O.L.A. - you are
exhibiting flamebaiting and bias.

> Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only, though
> I am copying COLA.

The fact that you *are* including C.O.L.A. in the group list, and the
fact that you yourself cannot even be serious in your request for
advice from people who actually know what they're talking about, and
whom *you* are turning to for said advice, can only be construed as
trollbaiting and disrespect.

Do you always expect serious replies from people whom you have just spit
in their faces? If so, then this could be indicative of a psychopathic
personality.

I have given you honest and serious advice nevertheless, and so I have
done more than I was ethically required to do, given that you're a
troll.

Here's a hint for you...: Unless *you* can be serious, try to refrain
from asking for serious advice from serious people. Ask serious
questions without any biased drivel and you will obtain serious