From: Wolfgang Kern on

Alexei A. Frounze said:
> I'm fascinated at how this thread lasts so long, all around one
> topic. :) I think I know the next source of the "renewable energy"! :)

Seems to be a tradition in ALA to keep threads alive regardless
of what the original topic might have been.
Beth's often renamed "btw:OT"-threads comes in my mind yet ...
__
wolfgang

From: NathanCBaker on
On Sep 7, 10:34 pm, Chuck Crayne <ccra...(a)crayne.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 21:37:30 -0400
>
> On the other hand, if you are seriously suggesting that NASM should
> assemble MOVZX EAX,EAX without error, then I strongly disagree.

Oh, take it easy on the newbie. He just has a minor bug in his
macro. It should be:

%macro crud 3
;...
and %1,$FFFF
;...
%endmacro

Nathan.
From: Rod Pemberton on
"Chuck Crayne" <ccrayne(a)crayne.org> wrote in message
> You may recall that I asked
> for input on what features were most needed, but didn't get much
> response.

IIRC, I posted two responses and HK one. (?) Isn't it about time to start a
new thread? Pick up alt.os.development, comp.os.msdos.programmer, etc.
too...

> However, I don't think that your proposed macro is very useful. MOVZX
> is not restricted to zero extending a given register to itself, but
> also allows things such as MOVZX EAX,DX. So your macro should allow two
> registers to be passed. For example crud eax, ax, 0, 2.

Then it would be crud eax, eax, 0, 2 and still need to produce a movzx eax,
ax.

But, either way, how does one easily, without a large macro, get "ax" when
given "eax" etc.? AFAIK, there is no register size conversion feature in
NASM.

Rod Pemberton

From: Rod Pemberton on
> However, you refuse to believe the expert,

Nowhere did you claim or state you were expert... You only claimed
experience once I asked for the source of numerous unprovable statements you
declared to be facts about Intel/AMD cpu design. And, I don't recall you
making that claim in other threads with me or others either. I do recall
you stating that you had programming experience on some early platforms. As
for the self-proclaimed "expert" moniker, "pencil and paper" casts some
serious doubt... 1960's? transistor's and vacuum tubes?

> and are not willing or able to provide any reasonable alternative.

You've not justified any of the claims you want me to justify further than I
already have. I believe my statements were fully explanatory. You say the
manual justifies your claims but provide no reference.

RP

From: Chuck Crayne on
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:57:26 -0400
"Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have(a)nohavenot.cmm> wrote:

> As
> for the self-proclaimed "expert" moniker, "pencil and paper" casts
> some serious doubt...

It doesn't take a lot of expertise to run a computer program which
someone else wrote -- which is why I got out of the logic design
business before such programs took over.

> 1960's? transistor's and vacuum tubes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCR_Century_100

The article doesn't mention my name, but I was responsible for
designing that part of the cpu logic which dealt with instruction
decoding and execution. Seiji Morimoto designed the I/O interface
logic.

> You say the
> manual justifies your claims but provide no reference.

The following references are to the 1986 edition of Intel's "80386
Programmer's Reference Manual"

Segment selectors are described in section 5.1.3

Discussion of the "D" bit in the current code segment description is in
section 8.2.2

The general instruction format is described in Figure 8-1

Discussion of the "w" bit in the op-code is in section 8.2.2.1

The table which shows which op-codes contain a "w" bit is Table 8.1

The opcode map is in Appendix A.

Detailed detailed descriptions of each instruction are in Chapter 17.

If there is anything else in the manual which you are having a hard time
finding, feel free to ask.
--
Chuck
http://www.pacificsites.com/~ccrayne/charles.html