From: Wolfgang Kern on

Frank Kotler detected ? :
>> and maybe this is just based on my desire to code C...

> It *did* cross my mind, "Rod wants HLA..." :)

:) LMFAO, like Beth could have replied to this ...

Herbert told: better C than HLA
Betov said : better dead than C
FBK and RP : read but avoid ...
Myself : search for only true facts ...

__
wolfgang

From: Rod Pemberton on
"Wolfgang Kern" <nowhere(a)never.at> wrote in message
> You still work at the 486-museum ? :)

No, but I'd like to support cpus as far back as a DX2 66Mhz 486. Nearest
cutoff is 486.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80486/Intel-A80486DX2-66.html

If you like cpu's, ...
http://www.cpu-world.com
http://www.cpu-collector.com/
http://www.cpu-collection.de/
http://www.cpushack.net/

> because windoze-coders and C may not know that 'Bits' really exist ?

It's not so easy to fit the two together. C really doesn't have an
understanding of flags commonly available in assembly. C supports integers.
Look at how long and how many processors have had a carry flag. It's been
there since the beginning of microprocessors, yet you can't easily check for
integer overflow in C.

Rod Pemberton

From: Alexei A. Frounze on
On Sep 11, 12:13 pm, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...(a)nohavenot.cmm>
wrote:
> It's not so easy to fit the two together.  C really doesn't have an
> understanding of flags commonly available in assembly.  C supports integers.
> Look at how long and how many processors have had a carry flag.  It's been
> there since the beginning of microprocessors, yet you can't easily check for
> integer overflow in C.

You can. It will just not be as short as in asm.

Alex
From: Rod Pemberton on
"Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have(a)nohavenot.cmm> wrote in message
> > Could ya live with 7 GP regs?
>
> The current code isn't using SETcc and other macro's use push/pop. It's
> hard to code without a stack...

IIRC, making 'div' and 'mul' orthogonal was more difficult. I used push/pop
with them also... Since I haven't tested them, they probably have some
other bugs too. It might be worth trying to make them orthogonal just to
test experimental syntax.

Rod Pemberton

From: Wolfgang Kern on

Rod Pemberton posted:

>> You still work at the 486-museum ? :)

> No, but I'd like to support cpus as far back as a DX2 66Mhz 486.
> Nearest cutoff is 486.

> http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80486/Intel-A80486DX2-66.html

> If you like cpu's, ...
> http://www.cpu-world.com
> http://www.cpu-collector.com/
> http://www.cpu-collection.de/
> http://www.cpushack.net/

You are rigth to support 486 because of the current population count.
I still have one halfway working unit (bad ISA-IDE) around here, but
how long will it take for them all to become replaced and vanish ?
My estimation is about a few years, so my support cutoff became
CPUID(1) with set (edx)bits: 0,2,4,15,24,25,26
iow:[FPU,debug-ext,TSC,Cmov,FXsave,mmx(SSE),xmm(SSE2)].

>> because windoze-coders and C may not know that 'Bits' really exist ?

> It's not so easy to fit the two together. C really doesn't have an
> understanding of flags commonly available in assembly.
> C supports integers.

Yes and they are signed by default, so calculations and expressions
need some typing overhead for the unsigned world (like the CPU sees it).

> Look at how long and how many processors have had a carry flag.
> It's been there since the beginning of microprocessors, yet you can't
> easily check for integer overflow in C.

Right, and I may only guess why flags didn't make it into HLLs,
perhaps much too complicated for those who only got a CS-degree ? :)

__
wolfgang