From: annily on
Anne Onime wrote:
> "David Moss" <dmoss(a)adfa.edu.au> wrote in message

>>> Not all. Certainly not the ones costing the price of a Mars colony!!!
>> Unless you work for SUN or Google you generally don't have a Mars
>> colony budget. recent events leave only Google.
>>
>> Interestingly Google are going to roll out a FTTH broadband system
>> scaled in the hundreds of thousands of users range as a *test* in the
>> USA in an attempt to stimulate web2 development.
>>
>> "We're planning to build and test ultra high-speed broadband networks
>> in a small number of trial locations across the United States. We'll
>> deliver Internet speeds more than 100 times faster than what most
>> Americans have access to today with 1 gigabit per second,
>> fiber-to-the-home connections. We plan to offer service at a
>> competitive price to at least 50,000 and potentially up to 500,000
>> people."
>>
>> Google already tried a wireless system, implementing it as a test in
>> Mountain View and for a while it looked like they would provide free
>> WiFi access to San Francisco. That hasn't happened though, and if
>> Google have problems scaling a wireless solution to 7.5million people
>> in one city and have switched to a FTTH agenda, I wouldn't like the
>> chances of the Australian government pulling off a wireless solution
>> for twice as many people over 336 times the geographic area.
>>
>> BTW if you want to see sticky tape holding stuff together, look in
>> here: http://campusmap.anu.edu.au/displaybldg.asp?no=56
>>

> We have similar fast internet in Australia for years.
>
> It was called OzEmail before, when I've joined.
>
> Now, with the speed of up to 128 MBps and available in 95% of Australia,
> with included line rental and FREE national telephone calls (all Australia)
> starting from $50 per month, it is much cheaper and faster than NBN scam.

LOL. 128 Mbps? Yeah right. It's ADSL2+, up to 24Mbps.
From: Pete on
> Now, with the speed of up to 128 MBps and available in 95% of Australia,

I think you're mixing different facts there. iiNet most definitely do
not have even ADSL2 available in 95% of Australia.

iiNet don't even have ADSL2 available at anywhere near 95% of telephone
exchanges in just the suburbs of capital cities.

Peter
From: atec7 7 ""atec77" on
annily wrote:
> Anne Onime wrote:
>> "David Moss" <dmoss(a)adfa.edu.au> wrote in message

>>> Unless you work for SUN or Google you generally don't have a Mars
>>> colony budget. recent events leave only Google.
>>>
>>> Interestingly Google are going to roll out a FTTH broadband system
>>> scaled in the hundreds of thousands of users range as a *test* in the
>>> USA in an attempt to stimulate web2 development.
>>>
>>> "We're planning to build and test ultra high-speed broadband networks
>>> in a small number of trial locations across the United States. We'll
>>> deliver Internet speeds more than 100 times faster than what most
>>> Americans have access to today with 1 gigabit per second,
>>> fiber-to-the-home connections. We plan to offer service at a
>>> competitive price to at least 50,000 and potentially up to 500,000
>>> people."
>>>
>>> Google already tried a wireless system, implementing it as a test in
>>> Mountain View and for a while it looked like they would provide free
>>> WiFi access to San Francisco. That hasn't happened though, and if
>>> Google have problems scaling a wireless solution to 7.5million people
>>> in one city and have switched to a FTTH agenda, I wouldn't like the
>>> chances of the Australian government pulling off a wireless solution
>>> for twice as many people over 336 times the geographic area.
>>>
>>> BTW if you want to see sticky tape holding stuff together, look in
>>> here: http://campusmap.anu.edu.au/displaybldg.asp?no=56
>>>

>> We have similar fast internet in Australia for years.
>>
>> It was called OzEmail before, when I've joined.
>>
>> Now, with the speed of up to 128 MBps and available in 95% of
>> Australia, with included line rental and FREE national telephone calls
>> (all Australia) starting from $50 per month, it is much cheaper and
>> faster than NBN scam.
>>

> LOL. 128 Mbps? Yeah right. It's ADSL2+, up to 24Mbps.
There is a helstra 100 Mbps service available and costs the earth though
From: atec7 7 ""atec77" on
Rod Speed wrote:
> asdf wrote

>>> I think you're mixing different facts there. iiNet most definitely
>>> do not have even ADSL2 available in 95% of Australia.
>
>>> iiNet don't even have ADSL2 available at anywhere near 95% of telephone exchanges in just the suburbs of capital
>>> cities.
>
>> Precisely.
>
>> Private enterprise = deliver the *least* that the market will bear.
>
> Have fun explaining how come Telstra has ADSL2 available on most exchanges.
provide a link proving your spacious claim
Oh wait you cant

> Nice theory. Pity about the real world.
yes woddles shame you are fsking wrong as always

From: atec7 7 ""atec77" on
DTVAUST wrote:
> On May 30, 9:04 pm, "Anne Onime" <anonym...(a)rip.ax.lt> wrote:
>> "David Moss" <dm...(a)adfa.edu.au> wrote in message

>>> Unless you work for SUN or Google you generally don't have a Mars
>>> colony budget. recent events leave only Google.
>>> Interestingly Google are going to roll out a FTTH broadband system
>>> scaled in the hundreds of thousands of users range as a *test* in the
>>> USA in an attempt to stimulate web2 development.
>>> "We're planning to build and test ultra high-speed broadband networks
>>> in a small number of trial locations across the United States. We'll
>>> deliver Internet speeds more than 100 times faster than what most
>>> Americans have access to today with 1 gigabit per second,
>>> fiber-to-the-home connections. We plan to offer service at a
>>> competitive price to at least 50,000 and potentially up to 500,000
>>> people."
>>> Google already tried a wireless system, implementing it as a test in
>>> Mountain View and for a while it looked like they would provide free
>>> WiFi access to San Francisco. That hasn't happened though, and if
>>> Google have problems scaling a wireless solution to 7.5million people
>>> in one city and have switched to a FTTH agenda, I wouldn't like the
>>> chances of the Australian government pulling off a wireless solution
>>> for twice as many people over 336 times the geographic area.
>>> BTW if you want to see sticky tape holding stuff together, look in
>>> here:http://campusmap.anu.edu.au/displaybldg.asp?no=56
>> We have similar fast internet in Australia for years.
>>
>> It was called OzEmail before, when I've joined.
>>
>> Now, with the speed of up to 128 MBps and available in 95% of Australia,
>> with included line rental and FREE national telephone calls (all Australia)
>> starting from $50 per month, it is much cheaper and faster than NBN scam.
>>
>> www.iinet.net.au
>>
>> Disclaimer: I am not employed or paid by iinet - I am just an user of iinet
>> excellent services. What Rudd should do is: sack Conroy and build on iinet
>> existing system to cover 5% country where iinet is not available, probably
>> by satellite connections.
>>
>> iinet also provides in freezone DIGITAL TV (I like NASA TV) and radio
>> programs and downloads not counted as usage.
>>
>> The only bad thing is off-peak hours (recently changed from much better
>> hours scheme) which are suitable only for vampires.
>>
>> And to solve the second issue FREEVIEW scam, the Govt. should use existing
>> Aurora (RABS) satellite system without cards and restrictions instead
>> vasting the money on terrestial broadcast. Australia have digital TV for
>> more than 10 years and nobody needs scam as FREEVIEW except 3 monopolistic
>> commercial channels.
>>
>> --
>
> There is no 128Mb/s (MEGABITS per Second) service from ISPs
Yes there is
Helstra provides a 100 Mbs which will do for a start and many places
in the cities now have fibre to the door