From: Don McKenzie on
On 13/08/2010 10:57 AM, terryc wrote:

> The internet currently has the technology(multicast) built in to supply
> the same signal to as many of more customers at the same time. It is just
> a matter of receiving software and probably upgrading some intermediate
> boxen (if that).

Let's have a look at the current world wide bandwidth stats:
http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

South Korea has the best figures in the world:
http://www.netindex.com/download/2,89/South-Korea/
which is 32.22 Mbps.

I feel the biggest bottleneck will be disk I/O speeds, but they will get much better over a period of time as SSD
technology takes over.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
From: Trevor Wilson on

"Don McKenzie" <5V(a)2.5A> wrote in message
> On 13/08/2010 9:35 AM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> Don McKenzie wrote:

>>> Will an individual server be capable of servicing many customers at
>>> once, at this speed (1Gbps), in the near future Trevor?
>>
>> **That would depend on the particular farm, wouldn't it? If, say, a movie
>> supplier was set up to provide movies to consumers, it would not be a
>> stretch for them to set up their system to provide such speeds.
>>
>> Do you REALLY believe that 1Gbps is beyond the abilities of suppliers
>> within
>> the next few years?
>
> A video farm?

**Server farm.

> 1 customer at 1Gbps?

**Easy.

> 100+ customers at 1Gbps?

**Peak speeds of 1Gbps? Sure.

> 1000+ customers at 1Gbps?

**Peak speeds of 1Gbps? Sure.

> More?

**Very likely, yes.

> This may be a big ask in the foreseeable future.

**Really? What's the bandwidth of fibre? 500THz? Higher? There is
considerable room for growth in a fibre network over the next few decades.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

From: Barry on
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:57:39 +1000, Don McKenzie <5V(a)2.5A> wrote:

>Now I ask, what server will be able to deliver a download speed of 1Gbps, let alone have a network, and an individual PC
>receive it at that speed? Am I missing something? I thinketh we will just be waiting 10 times as long!

All new computers have gigabit ethernet.
The NBN is up to 100Mbs, or 0.1Gbps.

From: Arm's Length on
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:23:19 +1000
Don McKenzie <5V(a)2.5A> wrote:

> Reminds me of Bill Gates saying around 1980 (XT days), "Who could
> possibly use more than 640K of ram?"

Although I am no fan of Billy the Goat (Bill Gates), I have to say that
according to the Wikiquotes site relative to Bill Gates I find this
purported attribution being refuted this wise under the heading
Misattributed:

* 640K ought to be enough for anybody.
- Often attributed to Gates in 1981. Gates considered the IBM
PC's 640kB program memory a significant breakthrough over
8-bit systems that were typically limited to 64kB, but he has
denied making this remark. Also see the 1989 and 1993 remarks
above. I've said some stupid things and some wrong things,
but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say
that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time … I
keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that
says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the
quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again.

Following is a link to the actual page:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

From: John Tserkezis on
Don McKenzie wrote:

> A video farm?
> 1 customer at 1Gbps?
> 100+ customers at 1Gbps?
> 1000+ customers at 1Gbps?
> More?
>
> This may be a big ask in the foreseeable future.

They forgot to add the bandwidth equivalent of "PMPO".
When you specify "up to" you absolve your responsibility of actually
supplying that much.

Remember when Telstra was advertising their 12Mbit wireless USB dongles
a while back?
Before they even upgraded their network equipment that was capable of that?

I have doubts at all with the infrastructure they'll be serving out
will actually be capable of 1Gb/s AT ALL. After all, when they say "up
to", they're allowed to leave out the test conditions of a single user
per server.
Entirely unrealistic under normal use, but they're not lying because
they meet their test conditions.

Too bad the general population have no clue about what to ask, to call
them on their bluff...

As I was told by a Marantz sales rep some time back when quizzing him
on the usefulness of their 256 times oversampling CD player.

"People don't buy CD players, they buy numbers".
--
If marriage is outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last