From: Sunny on

"Rob" <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 12/08/2010 6:50 PM, Doug Jewell wrote:
>> Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:

>>> That's no way to run a scheme.
>> To make matters worse, go into Harvey Norman or any other computer
>> retailer and ask them what has happened to computer pricing in the last
>> 3 years. They will tell you without hesitation that the prices have
>> dropped dramatically and specs have improved. So even for a commodity
>> which is dropping in price, Labor have still managed to spend more
>> money
>> and deliver less. The original budget was roughly $1000 per computer,
>> probably about right. The actual spend: $7333 per computer. That's one
>> hell of a computer!
>>

> The computers were the minor cost of the project. it was all the
> software and the support staff. The computers are hopelessly small
> netbooks and they expect someone to work on that all day.

All day? great, excactly what we need, a generation of computer reliant
zombies.

From: terryc on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:50:10 +1000, Doug Jewell wrote:

> The original budget was roughly $1000 per computer,
> probably about right. The actual spend: $7333 per computer. That's one
> hell of a computer!

Hey, you forgot the $7,000 worth of software included.
My understanding is that in NSW, the schools have extra support staff
just to handle the returns of faulty and damaged computers.
From: terryc on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 19:04:50 +1000, Rob wrote:

> On 12/08/2010 6:50 PM, Doug Jewell wrote:
>> Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:

>>> That's no way to run a scheme.
>> To make matters worse, go into Harvey Norman or any other computer
>> retailer and ask them what has happened to computer pricing in the last
>> 3 years. They will tell you without hesitation that the prices have
>> dropped dramatically and specs have improved. So even for a commodity
>> which is dropping in price, Labor have still managed to spend more
>> money and deliver less. The original budget was roughly $1000 per
>> computer, probably about right. The actual spend: $7333 per computer.
>> That's one hell of a computer!
>>

> The computers were the minor cost of the project.

> it was all the software

Wasn't that provided free? Or are you Tic'ing?
In NSW, every computer would have had a full raft of MS software licences
attached. funny thing is I've never been able to find it on the ones I've
seen.

> and the support staff.

And the NSW Dept of Eds overhead to featherbed.
From: Sunny on

"terryc" <newsninespam-spam(a)woa.com.au> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:50:10 +1000, Doug Jewell wrote:
>
>> The original budget was roughly $1000 per computer,
>> probably about right. The actual spend: $7333 per computer. That's one
>> hell of a computer!
>
> Hey, you forgot the $7,000 worth of software included.
> My understanding is that in NSW, the schools have extra support staff
> just to handle the returns of faulty and damaged computers.

At that cost we should be able to sack all the teachers, close the
Universities, and just employ some geeks to monitor computer input/output.

I hope when the Labor party re-invents the wheel, it still performs like
the current ones do..

From: B J Foster on
Sunny wrote:
> "terryc" <newsninespam-spam(a)woa.com.au> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:50:10 +1000, Doug Jewell wrote:
>>
>>> The original budget was roughly $1000 per computer,
>>> probably about right. The actual spend: $7333 per computer. That's one
>>> hell of a computer!
>> Hey, you forgot the $7,000 worth of software included.
>> My understanding is that in NSW, the schools have extra support staff
>> just to handle the returns of faulty and damaged computers.
>
> At that cost we should be able to sack all the teachers, close the
> Universities, and just employ some geeks to monitor computer input/output.

We won't need schools in Labor's 'Brave' new world since according to
Conroy we'll be working from home.

Ain't *no-one* gonna digup that thar coal!!