From: John Navas on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 07:17:10 -0700, in
<gq8j46pitf8hln1rppdpac5b9vaqt0pre7(a)4ax.com>, Robert Higgins
<robert(a)nospam.bogus> wrote:

>Last time on alt.cellular.attws, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> said:
>
>>Verizon Wireless is holding onto to its unlimited data plan for
>>smartphones just a little longer as it dukes it out with AT&T for more
>>wireless smartphone subscribers.
>>
>>The fact that Verizon is keeping this data plan is significant because
>>AT&T, which tomorrow will begin selling the new iPhone 4, has eliminated
>>its unlimited plan in lieu of a new two-tiered offer that caps monthly
>>data usage.
>
>All this means is 1) Verizon's network will be brought to its knees by
>the data hogs, just as AT&T's has, and 2) as soon as VZW gets enough
>market share, the usage caps will slam down like iron curtains.

I agree that seems likely.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: Paul Miner on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 07:23:06 -0700, Robert Higgins
<robert(a)nospam.bogus> wrote:

>They may not be, but customers sure are. The more users there are
>sucking down the (finite) unlimited bandwidth, the worse things are
>for everybody.
>
>Usage caps are the only way to avoid The Tragedy of the Wireless
>Commons. And that's no bullshit.

Usage caps aren't the only way, and IMHO aren't the best way, but they
are the easiest way for the carriers to get some control.

What I'd like to see is a system that does away with usage caps and
allocates bandwidth on the fly. Ellacoya and Sandvine are two vendors
who have these kinds of solutions on the shelf, ready for deployment.
(As a function of my job, I brought both in to make presentations.)
Unfortunately, their solutions had a significantly higher up front
cost than the blunt force usage meters that are in place today.

--
Paul Miner
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:13:56 -0500, in
<5jmj46prrcrhuvaqlqp2u92vfsebs5b4gr(a)4ax.com>, Paul Miner
<pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 07:23:06 -0700, Robert Higgins
><robert(a)nospam.bogus> wrote:
>
>>They may not be, but customers sure are. The more users there are
>>sucking down the (finite) unlimited bandwidth, the worse things are
>>for everybody.
>>
>>Usage caps are the only way to avoid The Tragedy of the Wireless
>>Commons. And that's no bullshit.
>
>Usage caps aren't the only way, and IMHO aren't the best way, but they
>are the easiest way for the carriers to get some control.
>
>What I'd like to see is a system that does away with usage caps and
>allocates bandwidth on the fly. Ellacoya and Sandvine are two vendors
>who have these kinds of solutions on the shelf, ready for deployment.
>(As a function of my job, I brought both in to make presentations.)
>Unfortunately, their solutions had a significantly higher up front
>cost than the blunt force usage meters that are in place today.

Agreed.

The problem now is greedy carriers that want to sell a package that
looks cheap, but costs an arm and a leg when you go over, for which
there is no legitimate excuse. The problem is easily solved with a fair
metering plan where the cost per megabyte would actually be *less* for
going over than for the base package, instead of being hugely more.

But it's probably not going to happen -- carriers would prefer to have
you consume (pay for) their content instead of just being dumb pipes
for Google's content.

From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

Nice repost of an article that is 7+ days old. Only the first paragraph had
any relevance to the discussion.

> Verizon Wireless is holding onto to its unlimited data plan for
> smartphones just a little longer as it dukes it out with AT&T for more
> wireless smartphone subscribers.

<snip **announcement of the Droid X -- old news ** /snip>

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.
From: Paul Miner on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:27:36 -0700, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>The problem now is greedy carriers that want to sell a package that
>looks cheap, but costs an arm and a leg when you go over, for which
>there is no legitimate excuse. The problem is easily solved with a fair
>metering plan where the cost per megabyte would actually be *less* for
>going over than for the base package, instead of being hugely more.
>
>But it's probably not going to happen -- carriers would prefer to have
>you consume (pay for) their content instead of just being dumb pipes
>for Google's content.

It'll come as no surprise that anytime the words "dumb pipe" come up
in internal conversations, glances get exchanged nervously and
tensions rise a notch.

--
Paul Miner