From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon Larry <noone(a)home.com> wrote:
> John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in
>
>> So we boycott all the carriers until they give in and agree to do
>> business at a loss? ;)
>>

> They're not losing a damned thing and YOU KNOW IT>
>
> Company bullshit....

It doesn't matter; what matters is that they run their business to make money
and out compete their competitors.

Apply this to you: "Larry makes $100,000 a year, so he can afford to live a
comfortable life, he shouldn't be allowed to make more than that." Where's
the incentive?

The wireless industry is an industry full of companies that are in the
business to make a profit. Telling them that they can't do what it takes to
do so removes the incentive to innovate further. Just because they aren't
losing money, doesn't mean they can't adapt their business model. Personally,
I think they have severly overpriced the model and they are at their upper
limit and if they start limitting data, I think it will reduce their smart
phone sales over time; because the phones are going to get smarter and more
data intensive and people aren't going to be willing to pay ever increasing
amounts for more and more data. They will have to stop at reasonable tiers
and grow those tiers as the market dictates and I am quite sure they will. If
tiered pricing costs them sales, you know what, they will try something else.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.
From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 04:18:09 +0000, in
> <Xns9DBE39F5BE51noonehomecom(a)74.209.131.13>, Larry <noone(a)home.com>
> wrote:
>
>>John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in
>>
>>> So we boycott all the carriers until they give in and agree to do
>>> business at a loss? ;)
>>
>>They're not losing a damned thing and YOU KNOW IT>
>>
>>Company bullshit....
>
> You know that how?

It doesn't matter. It's a free market.

From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon Larry <noone(a)home.com> wrote:
> John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in
>
>> He admitted that competition in the wireless market is fierce. And
>> Verizon is always competing aggressively against all of its rivals, most
>> notably AT&T.
>>

> It's too bad the customers are too stupid to flex their muscles and simply
> refuse to buy anything that's hobbled up with limited data nonsense.

They aren't stupid if it is worth it to them. Does everybody buy unlimitted
calling plans? No. Does everybody buy unlimitted data plans now? No.
Tiered plans are already in place, what wasn't in place before is a cap on the
top plan. But, if you notice, unlimitted calling plans are relatively new to
the industry while limitted data is new to the industry. Things change. It's
a dynamic market. If people find a nitch that fits them, then they will buy
into it; that isn't stupid and in fact, you calling them that at least twice
now defines you [or at least your statement] as stupid [which I have seen
frequently defined as "somebody who continues to make the same mistake
reguardless of the consequences"]. In this case, the consequences are just
your public image [which is probably little affected] and being wrong, which
is of more immediate effect, because you are wrong.

> They'd all have unlimited data plans if the stupids would quit BUYING it.

They may not have plans at all; the carriers might conclude wireless data is
no where it is at afterall, or maybe they would just drop data for the
consumer market. Think that one through a little. Free market. Everyone
chooses what is right for them, and calling anybody who doesn't see it your
way "stupid" is quite incorrect. There are stupid people, but these companies
aren't surviving on "stupid" people; a whole demographic of stupid people
could not afford the data plans and smartphone costs to keep a company of any
size in business.

From: John Navas on
On 23 Jul 2010 20:07:22 GMT, in <8aub3qFvckU3(a)mid.individual.net>,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>Nice repost of an article that is 7+ days old. Only the first paragraph had
>any relevance to the discussion.
>
>> Verizon Wireless is holding onto to its unlimited data plan for
>> smartphones just a little longer as it dukes it out with AT&T for more
>> wireless smartphone subscribers.
>
><snip **announcement of the Droid X -- old news ** /snip>

Now there's a good use of time and bandwidth. ;)

--
John

"We have met the enemy and he is us" -Pogo
From: Larry on
Paul Miner <pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote in

> It'll come as no surprise that anytime the words "dumb pipe" come up
> in internal conversations, glances get exchanged nervously and
> tensions rise a notch.
>
> --
> Paul Miner

I'm sending this comment to Scott Adams, without your name, of course. It
has the makings of a great Dilbert strip....(c;]

--
iPhone 4 is to cellular technology what the Titanic is to cruise ships.

Larry