From: John Navas on
Verizon Wireless is holding onto to its unlimited data plan for
smartphones just a little longer as it dukes it out with AT&T for more
wireless smartphone subscribers.

Verizon on Wednesday introduced the updated Motorola Droid X, the latest
version of the Google Android phone that Verizon has pitted against
AT&T's iPhone. The new phone will go on sale starting July 15 for $200
with a $100 rebate.

During the press conference to introduce the new device, Executive
Senior Vice President John Stratton emphasized the new device will come
with a $30 unlimited data plan. While this plan is nothing new for
Verizon, it comes a week after a Verizon executive said publicly the
company will move toward usage-based billing on wireless data services.

The fact that Verizon is keeping this data plan is significant because
AT&T, which tomorrow will begin selling the new iPhone 4, has eliminated
its unlimited plan in lieu of a new two-tiered offer that caps monthly
data usage. Now it looks like, Verizon is using AT&T's pricing shift as
an opportunity to pick off consumers, who may be interested in the
iPhone 4 but are scared off by AT&T's change in data plan.

Stratton tried to downplay the unlimited data pricing as simply business
as usual.

"We have indicated that we will move to usage-based pricing eventually,"
he said in an interview after the press conference. "But we are still
working out what that pricing will look like and what the levels should
be. We haven't announced anything yet. For the meantime we are
continuing to offer unlimited data plans."

He admitted that competition in the wireless market is fierce. And
Verizon is always competing aggressively against all of its rivals, most
notably AT&T.

"It's always crunch time for us in this industry," he said. "We are
always competing aggressively. And we're always looking to raise the
bar. With the Droid X we have the device to compete, and we have the
network."

MORE: <http://news.cnet.com/verizon-keeps-unlimited-data-for-droid-x>
From: John Navas on
"Verizon switching to AT&T-style limited data plans later this month?"
<http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/20/verizon-switching-to-atandt-style-limited-data-plans-later-this-mo/>

Hang on to your megabytes, folks, because it looks like the Brave New
World of limited data is truly upon us. AT&T and Verizon tend to follow
each others' moves pretty closely -- the two carriers regard each other
as their nearest competitors, after all -- and we're hearing that Big
Red intends to move to some sort of tiered bucket strategy on July 29.
We don't have details on whether the pricing will be identical to AT&T's
($25 for 2GB, $15 for 200MB), but we imagine it'll be within shouting
distance if not. Of course, Verizon has been sending this message for a
long time -- even before AT&T was -- so it shouldn't come as a surprise
to anyone that this is going down. You might say that Droid Does Caps,
eh?
From: Larry on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in

> He admitted that competition in the wireless market is fierce. And
> Verizon is always competing aggressively against all of its rivals, most
> notably AT&T.

It's too bad the customers are too stupid to flex their muscles and simply
refuse to buy anything that's hobbled up with limited data nonsense.

They'd all have unlimited data plans if the stupids would quit BUYING it.

--
iPhone 4 is to cellular technology what the Titanic is to cruise ships.

Larry

From: Larry on

> So we boycott all the carriers until they give in and agree to do
> business at a loss? ;)

They're not losing a damned thing and YOU KNOW IT>

Company bullshit....

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 04:18:09 +0000, in
<Xns9DBE39F5BE51noonehomecom(a)74.209.131.13>, Larry <noone(a)home.com>
wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in
>
>> So we boycott all the carriers until they give in and agree to do
>> business at a loss? ;)
>
>They're not losing a damned thing and YOU KNOW IT>
>
>Company bullshit....

You know that how?

--
John

"Facts? We ain't got no facts. We don't need no facts. I don't have
to show you any stinking facts!" [with apologies to John Huston]