From: Clay on
On Apr 29, 4:04 pm, "John" <J...(a)yabadabadooo.com> wrote:
> > In the current job market you might find that you don't choose the state,
> > it
> > chooses you.
>
> Ok so let's just say - for arguments sake - that you get job offers from
> companies in NJ, MA and NC.
> The jobs are 100% identical in every way imaginable. You are married and you
> have kids (age<5).
>
> Which state would you choose? And why?

1) look at the schools - public and private
2) look at the cost of housing
3) look at crime stats and where they occur
4) look at traffic congestion - do you need a long commute?
5) look at the states' income tax and property tax levels.
6) look at the air polution ratings for the target cities. You don't
want your kids developing asthma and other lung ailments.
7) locate and avoid living near superfund sites
8) locate and avoid living near flood planes

If the jobs are identical in every way including salary - I would
choose NC. And no I don't currently live in NC although I camp and
hike there several times a year. Since NC has lower taxes and a lower
cost of living and if the salaries are close, you will have more
desposable income in NC. If the job is in the Raleigh-Durham area, you
are not likely to go wrong there.

my 2 cents worth.
Clay
From: Rune Allnor on
On 29 apr, 22:42, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:

> > Which state would you choose? And why?

Nothing to do with the US, but I have found that I prefer to
live where the population has a certain mentality. Norway might
have a small propulation ( <5 mill ), but the mentalities
among people from the various regions are quite significantly
different.

This allows for some prejudice-based exchanges of humor and
lokes between regions, but is nonetheless based on reality.
Having tested a few options in the past, I have eventually
found the regions in which I prefer to spend my free time.

Let's compare it to Europe, where e.g. Mediterraneans have a
reputation for being somewhat casual, while e.g. Central Europeans
have a reputation for being more formal. Depending on your own
disposition you will likely tend to prefer one or the other.

And of course, there is a trade-off: The more casually-mided
societies might be the more pleasant on the purely personal level,
but the communal services might not work quite as well there
as in the more 'introspect' societies.

> 7) locate and avoid living near superfund sites

Superfund?

Rune
From: Randy Yates on
"John" <John(a)yabadabadooo.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> As a software engineer (signal processing algorithms) with experience
> in C#.NET, C and MATLAB and an interest in
> audio signals and algorithms, which of the following 3 states would
> you recommend to move to when it comes to overall
> quality of life? North Carolina, New Jersey or Massachusetts ?

Hi John,

As a resident of NC, and specifically the triangle (Raleigh/Durham/RTP)
for 12 years, I recommend it.

Upsides:

1. Three good universities in close proximity: Duke, UNC, and NCSU.
2. Very reasonable prices on real estate.
3. A wide variety of activities within short travel (< 4 hours),
e.g., the beach and the mountains.

And quite frankly, it's very beautiful here!

Downsides:

1. NC state tax.
2. One of the top 5 states in pollen levels and the associated
allergy problems.

--Randy

--
Randy Yates % "How's life on earth?
Digital Signal Labs % ... What is it worth?"
From: Randy Yates on
Randy Yates <yates(a)ieee.org> writes:

> "John" <John(a)yabadabadooo.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> As a software engineer (signal processing algorithms) with experience
>> in C#.NET, C and MATLAB and an interest in
>> audio signals and algorithms, which of the following 3 states would
>> you recommend to move to when it comes to overall
>> quality of life? North Carolina, New Jersey or Massachusetts ?

PS: John, one more thing: My recommendation was based solely on
non-technical bases. You may well have a better chance finding good
technical work in the other states you're considering. FYI, Ericsson
and Sony Ericsson, two big technical employers in the area, are shutting,
or have shut down (the word is Sony Ericsson's last day is today).

--Randy

--
Randy Yates % "My Shangri-la has gone away, fading like
Digital Signal Labs % the Beatles on 'Hey Jude'"
From: Richard Owlett on
Rune Allnor wrote:
> On 29 apr, 22:42, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
>
>> 7) locate and avoid living near superfund sites
>
> Superfund?
>
> Rune

Quoting http://www.epa.gov/superfund/about.htm
"Superfund is the name given to the environmental program
established to address abandoned hazardous waste sites."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfund skims the highpoints.