From: John on

>> As a resident of NC, and specifically the triangle (Raleigh/Durham/RTP)
>> for 12 years, I recommend it.

Thank you Randy.

Since you have lived there for quite a while, I was wondering if you could
tell
me where (company or sector) a C#.NET/C/MATLAB software engineer would
work in NC ? I heard that there are a lot of jobs in the financial sector in
NC. The ideal
job would be working for a company where the atmosphere is relaxed and laid
back,
working hours also support having a life with your family, and where you get
to apply
your creative skills/math skills in developing and implementing algorithms.
I like studying
and analyzing signals; learning about their patterns etc. I like
mathematical modeling and
I would love to learn more about genetic algorithms, adaptive systems,
cognitive systems,
neural networks, systems for prediction, pattern recognition etc. I like
working with audio
signals. I am not a U.S. citizen (yet) so I can't apply for jobs which
require that I have a
security clearance. Professionally I consider myself to be mid-level...a few
years more of
professional experience and I would be a senior...I have a M.Sc. EE degree
in signal processing.

From: Clay on
On Apr 30, 4:21 am, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 29 apr, 22:42, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
>
> > > Which state would you choose? And why?
>
> Nothing to do with the US, but I have found that I prefer to
> live where the population has a certain mentality. Norway might
> have a small propulation ( <5 mill ), but the mentalities
> among people from the various regions are quite significantly
> different.
>
> This allows for some prejudice-based exchanges of humor and
> lokes between regions, but is nonetheless based on reality.
> Having tested a few options in the past, I have eventually
> found the regions in which I prefer to spend my free time.
>
> Let's compare it to Europe, where e.g. Mediterraneans have a
> reputation for being somewhat casual, while e.g. Central Europeans
> have a reputation for being more formal. Depending on your own
> disposition you will likely tend to prefer one or the other.
>
> And of course, there is a trade-off: The more casually-mided
> societies might be the more pleasant on the purely personal level,
> but the communal services might not work quite as well there
> as in the more 'introspect' societies.
>
> > 7) locate and avoid living near superfund sites
>
> Superfund?
>
> Rune

Hello Rune,

Most people wouldn't think of researching this, but when I was
shopping for a rural residence several years ago I did . It turns out
that there are a handful of hazardous waste sites in the southern end
of my state (Georgia) where wood preservatives are/were used. I worry
about the quality of the groundwater - not only now from testing but
what may happen in the future if the aquifers are contaminated. The
nearest "superfund" site to me is 40 miles away and it was a radium
watch dial factory. They (Luminous Processes Inc.) left radium all
over the building and even buried some out on the grounds. They
abruptly went out of business when authorities closed down their NY
and IL locations. The state has since cleaned up the site and now a
MacDonald's restaurant in located there. The state claims it is safe
and they continue to monitor the groundwater for radiation. I say if I
have a choice I won't live near there. Call me paranoid!

Clay

From: Dirk Bell on
On Apr 29, 1:50 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > As a software engineer (signal processing algorithms) with experience in
> > C#.NET, C and MATLAB and an interest in
> > audio signals and algorithms, which of the following 3 states would you
> > recommend to move to when it comes to overall
> > quality of life? North Carolina, New Jersey or Massachusetts ?
>
> When it comes to the overall quality of life, follow the money.
>
> Vladimir Vassilevsky
> DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultanthttp://www.abvolt.com

Loudoun County, VA has the highest median household income in the
nation for a county. It is a distant Washington DC suburb. Bad
commuting, overpriced houses, lots of stressed out peple, not a great
quality of life.

In the late 80's I was comparing Fairfax County VA (another top income
county) to Atlanta GA. In Fairfax County it took a really good EE
income for one person in their early 30's to qualify for a mediocre
townhouse. In Atlanta, the 7-11 clerk, owned a single family home. I
can only guess who had a better quality of life.

Dirk
From: Dirk Bell on
On Apr 30, 6:46 am, Randy Yates <ya...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> "John" <J...(a)yabadabadooo.com> writes:
> > Hello,
>
> > As a software engineer (signal processing algorithms) with experience
> > in C#.NET, C and MATLAB and an interest in
> > audio signals and algorithms, which of the following 3 states would
> > you recommend to move to when it comes to overall
> > quality of life? North Carolina, New Jersey or Massachusetts ?
>
> Hi John,
>
> As a resident of NC, and specifically the triangle (Raleigh/Durham/RTP)
> for 12 years, I recommend it.
>
> Upsides:
>
>   1. Three good universities in close proximity: Duke, UNC, and NCSU.
>   2. Very reasonable prices on real estate.
>   3. A wide variety of activities within short travel (< 4 hours),
>      e.g., the beach and the mountains.
>
> And quite frankly, it's very beautiful here!
>
> Downsides:
>
>   1. NC state tax.
>   2. One of the top 5 states in pollen levels and the associated
>      allergy problems.
>
> --Randy
>
> --
> Randy Yates                      % "How's life on earth?
> Digital Signal Labs              %  ... What is it worth?"
> mailto://ya...(a)ieee.org          % 'Mission (A World Record)',http://www.digitalsignallabs.com% *A New World Record*, ELO

How bad is the state tax?
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Dirk Bell wrote:

> On Apr 29, 1:50 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>John wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>
>>>As a software engineer (signal processing algorithms) with experience in
>>>C#.NET, C and MATLAB and an interest in
>>>audio signals and algorithms, which of the following 3 states would you
>>>recommend to move to when it comes to overall
>>>quality of life? North Carolina, New Jersey or Massachusetts ?
>>
>>When it comes to the overall quality of life, follow the money.
>>
> Loudoun County, VA has the highest median household income in the
> nation for a county. It is a distant Washington DC suburb. Bad
> commuting, overpriced houses, lots of stressed out peple, not a great
> quality of life.
>
> In the late 80's I was comparing Fairfax County VA (another top income
> county) to Atlanta GA. In Fairfax County it took a really good EE
> income for one person in their early 30's to qualify for a mediocre
> townhouse. In Atlanta, the 7-11 clerk, owned a single family home. I
> can only guess who had a better quality of life.

One of the good things about US is that you can have pretty much
anything pretty much anywhere, if you have enough money (adjusted for
the local costs). I am sure there are several pretty places to any taste
even in Fairfax as well as in Loudoun County; it is just a matter of
offer vs cost. Heck, some people live in San Francisco and seem to like
it there.

VLV