From: John on
Hello,

As a software engineer (signal processing algorithms) with experience in
C#.NET, C and MATLAB and an interest in
audio signals and algorithms, which of the following 3 states would you
recommend to move to when it comes to overall
quality of life? North Carolina, New Jersey or Massachusetts ?

From: Tim Wescott on
John wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As a software engineer (signal processing algorithms) with experience in
> C#.NET, C and MATLAB and an interest in
> audio signals and algorithms, which of the following 3 states would you
> recommend to move to when it comes to overall
> quality of life? North Carolina, New Jersey or Massachusetts ?

What do you like to do? What sort of weather do you want to live with?
What sort of accent are you comfortable around? Do you want to be
responsible for your own car, or do you want the comfort of knowing the
state is forcing you to have it inspected?

This is a question you need to answer, or you need to tell us more about
what you like.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: John on
> What do you like to do?

Well, in my case it is not so much about what I like to do. I have kids...so
my wife and I prefer a place
which is family-friendly...meaning: lots of variety and options when it
comes to outdoor/indoor activities.
I like to feel that I live in a place where I get something for my money in
terms of real estate, education for my
kids, healthcare etc.

>What sort of weather do you want to live with?

I like sunshine and warm weather...

> What sort of accent are you comfortable around?

Any accent..I adapt..

> Do you want to be responsible for your own car, or do you want the comfort
> of knowing the state is forcing you to have it inspected?

I don't care so much about that...

From: Clay on
On Apr 29, 11:32 am, "John" <J...(a)yabadabadooo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As a software engineer (signal processing algorithms) with experience in
> C#.NET, C and MATLAB and an interest in
> audio signals and algorithms, which of the following 3 states would you
> recommend to move to when it comes to overall
> quality of life? North Carolina, New Jersey or Massachusetts ?

Of the three, NC has a much lower debt per capita and has much lower
property taxes. In MA the debt runs about 21% of personal income (the
highest per capita debt in the nation). In NC it is about 6%. In NJ it
is 12%. Where do you think the taxes are going to go up the most? If
you plan on a salary that places you above the median for your state
(this should apply to most all in this group), you are going to get
taxed heavily since the bottom half pays little tax.

As Tim says, what is most important to you? Do you have or plan to
have children? School then becomes a question. I live where I live
because it offers what I want and/or need.

Clay
From: Tim Wescott on
John wrote:
>> What do you like to do?
>
> Well, in my case it is not so much about what I like to do. I have
> kids...so my wife and I prefer a place
> which is family-friendly...meaning: lots of variety and options when it
> comes to outdoor/indoor activities.
> I like to feel that I live in a place where I get something for my money
> in terms of real estate, education for my
> kids, healthcare etc.
>
>> What sort of weather do you want to live with?
>
> I like sunshine and warm weather...

Hawaii, then.

Massachusetts has a distinctly noticeable summer -- a little too
noticeable if you don't have air conditioning. If you _don't_ like gray
skies and piles of snow several months out of the year, you won't like
Massachusetts.

The only time I've ever seen thunder, lightning (or at least the
flashes), and driving snow has been in Massachusetts. It was an
astounding storm.

I think New Jersey is far enough south that you don't get the constant
snow like in Massachusetts.