From: Clay on
On Apr 30, 1:06 pm, Dirk Bell <bellda2...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 1:50 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > John wrote:
> > > Hello,
>
> > > As a software engineer (signal processing algorithms) with experience in
> > > C#.NET, C and MATLAB and an interest in
> > > audio signals and algorithms, which of the following 3 states would you
> > > recommend to move to when it comes to overall
> > > quality of life? North Carolina, New Jersey or Massachusetts ?
>
> > When it comes to the overall quality of life, follow the money.
>
> > Vladimir Vassilevsky
> > DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultanthttp://www.abvolt.com
>
> Loudoun County, VA has the highest median household income in the
> nation for a county.  It is a distant Washington DC suburb. Bad
> commuting, overpriced houses, lots of stressed out peple, not a great
> quality of life.
>
> In the late 80's I was comparing Fairfax County VA (another top income
> county) to Atlanta GA. In Fairfax County it took a really good EE
> income for one person in their early 30's to qualify for a mediocre
> townhouse.  In Atlanta, the 7-11 clerk, owned a single family home.  I
> can only guess who had a better quality of life.
>
> Dirk

I recall a company trying to get me to move to Alexandria. A small
house there costs more than my entire farm. Yet the salary difference
wasn't that great. They understood my point when I told them the
numbers.

I recall a couple of years ago when I was doing a contract in
Sunnyvale and the guys were talking about propery taxes and they asked
me about mine. My house's taxes in Atl. were between 1/5 and 1/10th of
what they were paying. And then I told them about my land in AL (8.3
acres) where my tax is $24/year. I guess it all comes down to where
you want to spend your money.

Of course now there are some housing deals in CA, NV, and FL.

Clay

From: Jeff Cunningham on
On 4/30/10 6:46 AM, Randy Yates wrote:

> As a resident of NC, and specifically the triangle (Raleigh/Durham/RTP)
> for 12 years, I recommend it.
>
> Upsides:
>
> 1. Three good universities in close proximity: Duke, UNC, and NCSU.
> 2. Very reasonable prices on real estate.
> 3. A wide variety of activities within short travel (< 4 hours),
> e.g., the beach and the mountains.
4. Extremely cheap cigarettes ($3/pack)

> And quite frankly, it's very beautiful here!
>
> Downsides:
>
> 1. NC state tax.
> 2. One of the top 5 states in pollen levels and the associated
> allergy problems.
3. Lots of second hand cigarette smoke.

-Jeff
From: Dirk Bell on
On Apr 30, 3:48 pm, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 1:06 pm, Dirk Bell <bellda2...(a)cox.net> wrote:

> > > When it comes to the overall quality of life, follow the money.
>
> > > Vladimir Vassilevsky
> > > DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultanthttp://www.abvolt.com
>
> > Loudoun County, VA has the highest median household income in the
> > nation for a county.  It is a distant Washington DC suburb. Bad
> > commuting, overpriced houses, lots of stressed out peple, not a great
> > quality of life.
>
> > In the late 80's I was comparing Fairfax County VA (another top income
> > county) to Atlanta GA. In Fairfax County it took a really good EE
> > income for one person in their early 30's to qualify for a mediocre
> > townhouse.  In Atlanta, the 7-11 clerk, owned a single family home.  I
> > can only guess who had a better quality of life.
>
> > Dirk
>
> I recall a company trying to get me to move to Alexandria. A small
> house there costs more than my entire farm. Yet the salary difference
> wasn't that great. They understood my point when I told them the
> numbers.
>
> I recall a couple of years ago when I was doing a contract in
> Sunnyvale and the guys were talking about propery taxes and they asked
> me about mine. My house's taxes in Atl. were between 1/5 and 1/10th of
> what they were paying.  And then I told them about my land in AL (8.3
> acres) where my tax is $24/year. I guess it all comes down to where
> you want to spend your money.
>
> Of course now there are some housing deals in CA, NV, and FL.
>
> Clay- Hide quoted text -

Maybe in NV and FL. In CA, paying $500K for a house that previously
sold for $1M, but I can buy elsewhere for $200K. still doesn't sound
like a deal. A lot like in Northern Virginia.
From: Al Clark on
Jeff Cunningham <jcc(a)sover.net> wrote in news:4bdb3de2$0$2434
$4d3efbfe(a)news.sover.net:

> On 4/30/10 6:46 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
>
>> As a resident of NC, and specifically the triangle (Raleigh/Durham/RTP)
>> for 12 years, I recommend it.
>>
>> Upsides:
>>
>> 1. Three good universities in close proximity: Duke, UNC, and NCSU.
>> 2. Very reasonable prices on real estate.
>> 3. A wide variety of activities within short travel (< 4 hours),
>> e.g., the beach and the mountains.
> 4. Extremely cheap cigarettes ($3/pack)
>>
>> And quite frankly, it's very beautiful here!
>>
>> Downsides:
>>
>> 1. NC state tax.
>> 2. One of the top 5 states in pollen levels and the associated
>> allergy problems.
> 3. Lots of second hand cigarette smoke.
>
> -Jeff

Maybe I missed the beginning of this thread, but why these three states?

What's wrong with the other 47? or somewhere outside the US?

They are all quite different. It's like comparing apples to oranges, the
preference will always be personal.

If you are looking at MA, are you comparing Boston or outstate MA? Two
different places.... I suspect NJ is different when you are just outside
NYC rather than in the south or west....

Maybe your best place will be skewed by your politics, religion (or lack
of), ethnicity, climate preferences, etc. Maybe you love big cities or hate
them...

And maybe you just want to be as close or as far away as possible from
Randy.

Al Clark

From: Randy Yates on
Al Clark <aclark(a)danvillesignal.com> writes:
> [...]
> And maybe you just want to be as close or as far away as possible from
> Randy.

Yeah, well there's that too... :)
--
Randy Yates % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
Digital Signal Labs % she does the things you do,