From: Andrew on
Han wrote:
> "Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in
>
>> Margaret wrote:
>>

>>> I'm able to open a backup file just by double-clicking it in Windows
>>> Explorer.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Margaret
>>
>> Hi Margaret -
>>
>> Are you saying that if you double click one of the backup files (it
>> has "QDF-backup' as the filetype in the name) then you immediately
>> open the file as normal? You do NOT get a dialog panel that says
>> "RESTORE FROM BACKUP FILE" and asks you where to 'place' the file
>> you're trying to open??
>
> I do a restore from backup dialog prompting for location and name of
> the restored file.

Han - did you mean "I GET a restore from backup dialog prompting for
location and name of the
restored file." ; if so, it is working the way I see it on mine as well. I
wonder if that is what Margaret is seeing too.

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Han on

> Han wrote:
>> "Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in

>>> Hi Margaret -
>>>
>>> Are you saying that if you double click one of the backup files (it
>>> has "QDF-backup' as the filetype in the name) then you immediately
>>> open the file as normal? You do NOT get a dialog panel that says
>>> "RESTORE FROM BACKUP FILE" and asks you where to 'place' the file
>>> you're trying to open??
>>
>> I do a restore from backup dialog prompting for location and name of
>> the restored file.
>
> Han - did you mean "I GET a restore from backup dialog prompting for
> location and name of the
> restored file." ; if so, it is working the way I see it on mine as
> well. I wonder if that is what Margaret is seeing too.

Yes, of course, sorry about the brain fart.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Margaret on
Andrew wrote:
> Han wrote:
>> "Andrew"<andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in

>>> Hi Margaret -
>>>
>>> Are you saying that if you double click one of the backup files (it
>>> has "QDF-backup' as the filetype in the name) then you immediately
>>> open the file as normal? You do NOT get a dialog panel that says
>>> "RESTORE FROM BACKUP FILE" and asks you where to 'place' the file
>>> you're trying to open??
>>
>> I do a restore from backup dialog prompting for location and name of
>> the restored file.
>
> Han - did you mean "I GET a restore from backup dialog prompting for
> location and name of the
> restored file." ; if so, it is working the way I see it on mine as well. I
> wonder if that is what Margaret is seeing too.

Yes, sorry, I was a bit too quick to post on this one.... I attempted
to open a Quicken backup file from within Quicken, and I got a message
asking if I wanted to close the current Quicken file. I incorrectly
assumed Q would simply open the file. It actually goes through the
restore prompt. Sorry 'bout that.

Regards,

Margaret
From: Andrew on
Margaret wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>> Han wrote:
>>> "Andrew"<andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in

>>> I do a restore from backup dialog prompting for location and name of
>>> the restored file.
>>
>> Han - did you mean "I GET a restore from backup dialog prompting for
>> location and name of the
>> restored file." ; if so, it is working the way I see it on mine as
>> well. I wonder if that is what Margaret is seeing too.
>
> Yes, sorry, I was a bit too quick to post on this one.... I attempted
> to open a Quicken backup file from within Quicken, and I got a message
> asking if I wanted to close the current Quicken file. I incorrectly
> assumed Q would simply open the file. It actually goes through the
> restore prompt. Sorry 'bout that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret

Great - we three are now all in agreement. It is amazing that they threw
the time stamp thing in the more I think about this. They UNDID the fix
that they fixed by allowing overwrites after originally breaking it. WHEN
oh WHEN will software providers understand they should NEVER change
established user interfaces (unless unequivocally 'broken') without
providing options not to 'accept' change?? Give me an option NOT to put
the timestamp in the backup name and the option to allow overridesof the
existing file (with just the date stamp) without having to click on "I
ACCEPT." Like it was BEFORE!!!

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Margaret on
Andrew wrote:

>> Margaret
>
> Great - we three are now all in agreement. It is amazing that they threw
> the time stamp thing in the more I think about this. They UNDID the fix
> that they fixed by allowing overwrites after originally breaking it. WHEN
> oh WHEN will software providers understand they should NEVER change
> established user interfaces (unless unequivocally 'broken') without
> providing options not to 'accept' change?? Give me an option NOT to put
> the timestamp in the backup name and the option to allow overridesof the
> existing file (with just the date stamp) without having to click on "I
> ACCEPT." Like it was BEFORE!!!

I wholeheartedly agree, Andrew. Yesterday I posted to this effect over
on the Quicken Inner Circle. Maybe Intuit will fix their "fix" in the
next release? ;-)

Regards,

Margaret