From: Margaret on
Han wrote:
> Intuit seemingly has indeed improved their backing up system, but it'll
> require some getting used to. Unfortunaely you cannot simply edit the
> backup path in the dialog box, but have to use the "change" button and
> navigate through the directory trees.
>
> I found this simpler with the Q2008 dialog, where I had 2 different paths
> for 2 different backup locations, one on a network attached drive (WD-
> MyBook), and one on another networked computer. By "mapping" the
> directories for these 2 backup locations to drives with different drive
> letters on this machine, I only had to change the drive letter to get my
> backups to 2 different locations.

But ... Intuit *broke* overwriting the day's backup for those of us
who've been appending the date to the filename. Now it appends the date
*and time* (and writes the time in an odd format), so backups no longer
get overwritten.

Fortunately I'm able to edit out the time (from the backup path) before
completing the backup. Thankfully and strangely enough, I don't have to
click the "change" button. I can just select the text I want removed
and press Delete.

My new backup filename (with date/time) appended:

<filename>-2010-01-08.AM09.38.QDF-backup

Why, oh why, did they add the time? Backup (with overwrites) would have
continued to work fine had Intuit not added the time.

Two nitpicks. (1) Intuit should have made appending the time optional
.... or left it out entirely. (2) If they insist on adding the time, why
not use a standard 24-hour format as they do in the automatic backup
filename.

Now ... if Intuit fixes this at all, we'll have to wait for yet another
update.

Grrr.

Margaret

From: Han on
Margaret <twokatmew(a)gmailx.invalid> wrote in

> Han wrote:
>> Intuit seemingly has indeed improved their backing up system, but
>> it'll require some getting used to. Unfortunaely you cannot simply
>> edit the backup path in the dialog box, but have to use the "change"
>> button and navigate through the directory trees.
>>
>> I found this simpler with the Q2008 dialog, where I had 2 different
>> paths for 2 different backup locations, one on a network attached
>> drive (WD- MyBook), and one on another networked computer. By
>> "mapping" the directories for these 2 backup locations to drives with
>> different drive letters on this machine, I only had to change the
>> drive letter to get my backups to 2 different locations.
>
> But ... Intuit *broke* overwriting the day's backup for those of us
> who've been appending the date to the filename. Now it appends the
> date *and time* (and writes the time in an odd format), so backups no
> longer get overwritten.
>
> Fortunately I'm able to edit out the time (from the backup path)
> before completing the backup. Thankfully and strangely enough, I
> don't have to click the "change" button. I can just select the text I
> want removed and press Delete.
>
> My new backup filename (with date/time) appended:
>
> <filename>-2010-01-08.AM09.38.QDF-backup
>
> Why, oh why, did they add the time? Backup (with overwrites) would
> have continued to work fine had Intuit not added the time.
>
> Two nitpicks. (1) Intuit should have made appending the time optional
> ... or left it out entirely. (2) If they insist on adding the time,
> why not use a standard 24-hour format as they do in the automatic
> backup filename.
>
> Now ... if Intuit fixes this at all, we'll have to wait for yet
> another update.
>
> Grrr.
>
> Margaret

Yes, it is more difficult for me now too. I now use the change button,
and navigate to the file I saved last. Then I will either overwrite that
one, or edit it to the next date. I'm a bit confused now, and may modify
things again.

I may use Karen's replicator (highly recommended freeware) to copy the
backup file from one machine to another from this one (a third machine).

--
Best regards
Han
From: Andrew on
Margaret wrote:

> I'm able to open a backup file just by double-clicking it in Windows
> Explorer.
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret

Hi Margaret -

Are you saying that if you double click one of the backup files (it has
"QDF-backup' as the filetype in the name) then you immediately open the file
as normal? You do NOT get a dialog panel that says "RESTORE FROM BACKUP
FILE" and asks you where to 'place' the file you're trying to open??

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Andrew on
Margaret wrote:
> Han wrote:
>> Intuit seemingly has indeed improved their backing up system, but
>> it'll require some getting used to. Unfortunaely you cannot simply
>> edit the backup path in the dialog box, but have to use the "change"
>> button and navigate through the directory trees.
>>
>> I found this simpler with the Q2008 dialog, where I had 2 different
>> paths for 2 different backup locations, one on a network attached
>> drive (WD- MyBook), and one on another networked computer. By
>> "mapping" the directories for these 2 backup locations to drives
>> with different drive letters on this machine, I only had to change
>> the drive letter to get my backups to 2 different locations.
>
> But ... Intuit *broke* overwriting the day's backup for those of us
> who've been appending the date to the filename. Now it appends the
> date *and time* (and writes the time in an odd format), so backups no
> longer get overwritten.
>
> Fortunately I'm able to edit out the time (from the backup path)
> before completing the backup. Thankfully and strangely enough, I
> don't have to click the "change" button. I can just select the text
> I want removed and press Delete.
>
> My new backup filename (with date/time) appended:
>
> <filename>-2010-01-08.AM09.38.QDF-backup
>
> Why, oh why, did they add the time? Backup (with overwrites) would
> have continued to work fine had Intuit not added the time.
>
> Two nitpicks. (1) Intuit should have made appending the time optional
> ... or left it out entirely. (2) If they insist on adding the time,
> why not use a standard 24-hour format as they do in the automatic
> backup filename.
>
> Now ... if Intuit fixes this at all, we'll have to wait for yet
> another update.
>
> Grrr.
>
> Margaret

The 'AM' I assume is the morning in your example. Took me a while to figure
that one out when I too saw the weird filename. I agree that they should
have made the time optional. The 24 hour thing I can live with, since it's
easier for me to figure things out using AM and PM, and fortunately, AM
sorts before PM in the alphabet just like real life!

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Han on
"Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote in

> Margaret wrote:
>

>> I'm able to open a backup file just by double-clicking it in Windows
>> Explorer.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Margaret
>
> Hi Margaret -
>
> Are you saying that if you double click one of the backup files (it
> has "QDF-backup' as the filetype in the name) then you immediately
> open the file as normal? You do NOT get a dialog panel that says
> "RESTORE FROM BACKUP FILE" and asks you where to 'place' the file
> you're trying to open??

I do a restore from backup dialog prompting for location and name of the
restored file.

--
Best regards
Han