From: Antares 531 on
I have recently changed over from MS Money to Quicken 2010, and am
still in the process of learning.

Is there any way to change the column widths? I have a wide screen
monitor, with plenty of horizontal space but the column widths are
sometimes too narrow to show all the data.

The specific screen I'm referring to is the Investment Tab then my
Brokerage Account. On this screen the number of shares column is
limited to too few spaces to show the entire decimal amount of the
number of shares.

I tried to widen one of these columns by clicking on the vertical
column edge at the top of the column, then dragging it to a greater
width but the screen went bonkers on me and I had to restore from an
earlier backup.

Is this a "Thou shalt NOT try to change the column width settings."
thing, or is there a way to do it that I haven't discovered, yet.

Thanks, Gordon
From: jJim Sweeney on

"Antares 531" <gordonlrDELETE(a)swbell.net> wrote in message
>I have recently changed over from MS Money to Quicken 2010, and am
> still in the process of learning.
>
> Is there any way to change the column widths? I have a wide screen
> monitor, with plenty of horizontal space but the column widths are
> sometimes too narrow to show all the data.
>
> The specific screen I'm referring to is the Investment Tab then my
> Brokerage Account. On this screen the number of shares column is
> limited to too few spaces to show the entire decimal amount of the
> number of shares.
>
> I tried to widen one of these columns by clicking on the vertical
> column edge at the top of the column, then dragging it to a greater
> width but the screen went bonkers on me and I had to restore from an
> earlier backup.
>
> Is this a "Thou shalt NOT try to change the column width settings."
> thing, or is there a way to do it that I haven't discovered, yet.
>
> Thanks, Gordon

Gordon,

I don't know what you have already found. But
the little arrow in the upper left will free up that left panel. the columns
can be resized using the standard drag approach.
JPS

From: Antares 531 on
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:13:58 -0500, "jJim Sweeney" <jpsga(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Antares 531" <gordonlrDELETE(a)swbell.net> wrote in message
>>I have recently changed over from MS Money to Quicken 2010, and am
>> still in the process of learning.
>>
>> Is there any way to change the column widths? I have a wide screen
>> monitor, with plenty of horizontal space but the column widths are
>> sometimes too narrow to show all the data.
>>
>> The specific screen I'm referring to is the Investment Tab then my
>> Brokerage Account. On this screen the number of shares column is
>> limited to too few spaces to show the entire decimal amount of the
>> number of shares.
>>
>> I tried to widen one of these columns by clicking on the vertical
>> column edge at the top of the column, then dragging it to a greater
>> width but the screen went bonkers on me and I had to restore from an
>> earlier backup.
>>
>> Is this a "Thou shalt NOT try to change the column width settings."
>> thing, or is there a way to do it that I haven't discovered, yet.
>>
>> Thanks, Gordon
>
>Gordon,
>
>I don't know what you have already found. But
>the little arrow in the upper left will free up that left panel. the columns
>can be resized using the standard drag approach.
>JPS

I don't need to free up or close the left panel. My screen is large
enough to handle the whole setup with room to spare, but I can't get
the column widths set wider so all the numbers will show. I get
something like 55,35.. for the number of shares, etc.

I've tried the conventional drag and drop approach several times but
it always messes the display up and I have to restore from a backup.

I'm thinking there must be some setting that will turn these column
width settings over to me so I can manage them, but I must have that
setting set for "frozen" or some such. Gordon
From: R. C. White on
Hi, Gordon.

When you find the secret, please let us ALL know! :^}

I have found how to adjust SOME of the columns in SOME of the screens, but
too many are still set in concrete to a width that looks like nobody ever
bothered to test them with real data. And they have been this way for
YEARS, through many versions of Quicken.

For example, the To Do column at the far right of the Register screen. One
inch would be plenty wide, but it's three inches wide on my 17" LCD (normal
proportions, 1280x1024 resolution, 5:4 ratio). It's easy to turn it off -
once I find the location again (Edit | Preferences | Quicken Preferences |
Startup/Navigation - and then uncheck Dock Side Bar (for wide screens
only)). But I don't really want to turn it off; I just want to narrow it to
a reasonable width so that I can have more screen real estate for something
else that doesn't stay static all day every day. (Hmmm... I think I'll
turn it off for a few days and see how I like that.)

We can adjust the width of the Account Bar on the left - within limits
(between 1" and 2" on my screen) - by dragging the divider, but the one on
the right is either too-wide or off.

In Reports and in Portfolio view, the columns are somewhat adjustable by
dragging dividers in the headers, but not in the Registers. Wait a minute!
I can adjust widths in the Investment Register...Oh, that's because I have
that set to a single-line view; Banking Registers use a two-line view with
no one-line option. Nope, that's not it, either; when I set Investing
Registers to two-line view, they are still adjustable. And I think THIS is
the screen that is giving you trouble, isn't it?

>>> The specific screen I'm referring to is the Investment Tab then my
>>> Brokerage Account. On this screen the number of shares column is
>>> limited to too few spaces to show the entire decimal amount of the
>>> number of shares.

My Quicken 2010 Deluxe doesn't have an "Investment Tab". It has
"Investing", but the Register here doesn't even have a number of shares
column. Oh, wait! If I click Overview here, I get a screen called
"Holdings" that is much like the Portfolio view - and it does have a Shares
column - and these columns are adjustable normally, and I can make the
Shares column plenty wide, over 6" at least.

So the mystery deepens. There are a LOT of ways to adjust things in
Quicken, and some of them are very NON-Intuit-ive. :>( But maybe I just
need to spend some more time exploring - even in places where I wouldn't
expect to find things. Apparently they've added a lot over the years, but I
never learned them because I thought I already knew Quicken. ;^}

Thanks a lot, Gordon, for getting me started on this tonight. As you can
tell by this rambling post, I've just been learning new things as I've been
typing. I may spend hours playing with this new toy, now that you've got me
started. We may not have answered your question yet, but I've learned some
things about Quicken. (But I still can't adjust the width of that To Do
column on the right.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: pyotr filipivich on
Let the Record show that "R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> on or about
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:53:23 -0600 did write/type or cause to appear in
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken the following:
>Hi, Gordon.
>
>When you find the secret, please let us ALL know! :^}
>
>I have found how to adjust SOME of the columns in SOME of the screens, but
>too many are still set in concrete to a width that looks like nobody ever
>bothered to test them with real data. And they have been this way for
>YEARS, through many versions of Quicken.
>
>For example, the To Do column at the far right of the Register screen. One
>inch would be plenty wide, but it's three inches wide on my 17" LCD (normal
>proportions, 1280x1024 resolution, 5:4 ratio). It's easy to turn it off -
>once I find the location again (Edit | Preferences | Quicken Preferences |
>Startup/Navigation - and then uncheck Dock Side Bar (for wide screens
>only)). But I don't really want to turn it off; I just want to narrow it to
>a reasonable width so that I can have more screen real estate for something
>else that doesn't stay static all day every day. (Hmmm... I think I'll
>turn it off for a few days and see how I like that.)

It as just this attention to detail back in '05 which made me
conclude that nothing was better for '06. Unfortunately, using
nothing hasn't been all that productive, but I have more screen
space.
-
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.