From: Cal Tinson on
On 1/8/2010 7:53 PM eastern, Antares 531 wrote:
> I have recently changed over from MS Money to Quicken 2010, and am
> still in the process of learning.
>
> Is there any way to change the column widths? I have a wide screen
> monitor, with plenty of horizontal space but the column widths are
> sometimes too narrow to show all the data.
>
> The specific screen I'm referring to is the Investment Tab then my
> Brokerage Account. On this screen the number of shares column is
> limited to too few spaces to show the entire decimal amount of the
> number of shares.
>
> I tried to widen one of these columns by clicking on the vertical
> column edge at the top of the column, then dragging it to a greater
> width but the screen went bonkers on me and I had to restore from an
> earlier backup.
>
> Is this a "Thou shalt NOT try to change the column width settings."
> thing, or is there a way to do it that I haven't discovered, yet.
>
> Thanks, Gordon

A reply I got about a year ago with the same problem:

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Cal.

That "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box in Compatibility
seems to have no such effect on my system. I've always left that box
Unchecked, so I put a check in it this morning and did a short test of some
of the changes I discovered last night (see my Reply to Gordon). In my
short test, I saw no difference with having that box checked or not.

I'll stand by for reports from you and/or others as to your findings.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Cal Tinson on
On 1/9/2010 9:16 AM eastern, R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, Cal.
>
> That "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box in Compatibility
> seems to have no such effect on my system. I've always left that box
> Unchecked, so I put a check in it this morning and did a short test of
> some of the changes I discovered last night (see my Reply to Gordon).
> In my short test, I saw no difference with having that box checked or not.
>
> I'll stand by for reports from you and/or others as to your findings.
>
> RC

Hi, RC - I would guess you are not using a high Windows DPI setting
(like my 143 DPI) since you are able to change some column widths to
some degree without all hell breaking loose. That happened to me and to
the OP to the point where columns disappeared irretrievably, etc., and
we both had to do restores. (I assume the OP is also using a high
setting, although he hasn't said yet.)

BTW, by replying above your quote of my reply, the quote got treated
treated as part of your sig, and thus does not show in this reply. I
haven't bothered to try to include it, since anyone interested can
always go back to look at it.
From: Antares 531 on
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:53:14 -0600, Antares 531
<gordonlrDELETE(a)swbell.net> wrote:

>I have recently changed over from MS Money to Quicken 2010, and am
>still in the process of learning.
>
>Is there any way to change the column widths? I have a wide screen
>monitor, with plenty of horizontal space but the column widths are
>sometimes too narrow to show all the data.
>
>The specific screen I'm referring to is the Investment Tab then my
>Brokerage Account. On this screen the number of shares column is
>limited to too few spaces to show the entire decimal amount of the
>number of shares.
>
>I tried to widen one of these columns by clicking on the vertical
>column edge at the top of the column, then dragging it to a greater
>width but the screen went bonkers on me and I had to restore from an
>earlier backup.
>
>Is this a "Thou shalt NOT try to change the column width settings."
>thing, or is there a way to do it that I haven't discovered, yet.
>
>Thanks, Gordon

Sorry I dropped off the radar today. We had a family funeral and I was
out of town.

My monitor is an HP w2408 Wide LCD with the resolution set at 1920 X
1200. There is an abundance of horizontal space on any of these
Quicken screens with columns. I should be able to change the column
width with no interference or problems because of screen resolution or
size.

This monitor can be rotated into a vertical (portrait) or horizontal
(landscape) alignment. I am using it in the horizontal orientation,
but I really don't think this has anything to do with the described
Quicken problem.

The drag and drop method for adjusting column widths acts like it is
going to work, but just as I begin to drag the column divider the
whole screen goes into a state of chaos and can not be restored except
by closing then opening an earlier backup file. Gordon
From: Antares 531 on
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:13:58 -0500, "jJim Sweeney" <jpsga(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Antares 531" <gordonlrDELETE(a)swbell.net> wrote in message
>>I have recently changed over from MS Money to Quicken 2010, and am
>> still in the process of learning.
>>
>> Is there any way to change the column widths? I have a wide screen
>> monitor, with plenty of horizontal space but the column widths are
>> sometimes too narrow to show all the data.
>>
>> The specific screen I'm referring to is the Investment Tab then my
>> Brokerage Account. On this screen the number of shares column is
>> limited to too few spaces to show the entire decimal amount of the
>> number of shares.
>>
>> I tried to widen one of these columns by clicking on the vertical
>> column edge at the top of the column, then dragging it to a greater
>> width but the screen went bonkers on me and I had to restore from an
>> earlier backup.
>>
>> Is this a "Thou shalt NOT try to change the column width settings."
>> thing, or is there a way to do it that I haven't discovered, yet.
>>
>> Thanks, Gordon
>
>Gordon,
>
>I don't know what you have already found. But
>the little arrow in the upper left will free up that left panel. the columns
>can be resized using the standard drag approach.
>JPS

I don't seem to have the little arrow that you mention. I did click on
the cog wheel icon at the top right of my portfolio screen, then
clicked on the ? mark at the lower left of the pop-up, and found the
following, but the process doesn't work. I have been doing this and
always get the messed up screen.

(snip several lines)

To resize Portfolio columns
Move your pointer to the top of a column heading, where you see the
labels Name, Price, and so on.
Place the pointer on the line that marks the border between two labels
(at the point where the display of the pointer changes to a
double-headed arrow).
Click the mouse button and hold it down, and then move the pointer to
widen or narrow the column width.

(And the whole screen goes to hell in a handbasket - Gordon)