From: Leonard Agoado on

"Notan" <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote in message
> Sorry to ask this again, but my first inquiry resulted in no
> response, so I thought I'd try again.
>
> Who are the sheep on the NYSE podium, at the end of the day,
> applauding?

Notan,

Not sheep, just invited guests for the opening and closing bell.

http://www.nyse.com/about/Video/newsbriefings.html

Sheep are those that expect someone else to do their research for them.

Regards,

Len Agoado
agoado(a)msn.com

From: Notan on
On 6/2/2010 10:31 PM, Leonard Agoado wrote:
> "Notan"<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote in message
>> Sorry to ask this again, but my first inquiry resulted in no
>> response, so I thought I'd try again.
>>
>> Who are the sheep on the NYSE podium, at the end of the day,
>> applauding?
>

> Notan,
>
> Not sheep, just invited guests for the opening and closing bell.
>
> http://www.nyse.com/about/Video/newsbriefings.html
>
> Sheep are those that expect someone else to do their research for them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Len Agoado
> agoado(a)msn.com

From http://www.yourdictionary.com/sheep:
a. A person regarded as timid, weak, or submissive.
b. One who is easily swayed or led.

After *major* market crashes, there they are.
From: Leonard Agoado on

"Notan" <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote

> From http://www.yourdictionary.com/sheep:

Notan,

I am familiar with the metaphor; it's your broad-brush application to
which I object.

> a. A person regarded as timid, weak, or submissive.

How is this a prerequisite for an invitation to the gallery? The recent
list of guests would indicate just the opposite.

> b. One who is easily swayed or led.

As in someone that might expect someone else to do their research for
them?

> After *major* market crashes, there they are.

They are always there, not just post decline. Their pre-correction
market activity probably potentiates the sharpness of the subsequent
correction and the intensity of the following oscillations.

Regards,

Len Agoado
agoado(a)msn.com

From: Notan on
On 6/3/2010 5:58 PM, Leonard Agoado wrote:
> "Notan"<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote
>
>> From http://www.yourdictionary.com/sheep:
>

> Notan,
>
> I am familiar with the metaphor; it's your broad-brush application to
> which I object.
>

>> a. A person regarded as timid, weak, or submissive.
>
> How is this a prerequisite for an invitation to the gallery? The recent
> list of guests would indicate just the opposite.
>

>> b. One who is easily swayed or led.
>
> As in someone that might expect someone else to do their research for
> them?
>

>> After *major* market crashes, there they are.
>
> They are always there, not just post decline. Their pre-correction
> market activity probably potentiates the sharpness of the subsequent
> correction and the intensity of the following oscillations.
>

> Regards,
>
> Len Agoado
> agoado(a)msn.com

I was questioning what kind of people, other than those betting
against the market, stand and applaud market declines.

If you don't like the question, you're more than welcome to go
elsewhere.
From: Leonard Agoado on

"Notan" <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote

> I was questioning what kind of people, other than those betting
> against the market, stand and applaud market declines.
>
> If you don't like the question, you're more than welcome to go
> elsewhere.

Notan,

The difference between what you were questioning and what you think you
were questioning lies in your choice of words, not in any clairvoyant skill
lacking in others.

As to your intended query, the traditional applause at the closing bell
is in celebration the market itself by its invited guests, not a celebration
of the final valuation of any specific indicators. Your so-called question
then, through its exclusion, obviously provides its own answer by revealing
itself as a poorly veiled attribution of moral deficiency to a set of
parties in the exchange whose function you clearly do not understand. There
are two sides to any market transaction - one whose judgment plays out over
time, and one whose judgment does not. Those about to buy, as well as those
holding short positions, would certainly have valid reason to cheer a
decline. This is an exchange market not a morality play; establishment of
valuation and facilitation of trade is its very purpose. Good and bad do
not correlate with up and down nor with the relative position of either
party to an exchange.

Finally, going elsewhere is always an option open to any of us whether
or not we like any question - or in your case, any answer. Before you
further solidify the foolishness of your suggestion in that regard, it might
behoove you to recall that it was you who solicited an answer, not any
another that solicited your question.

Regards,

Len Agoado
agoado(a)msn.com