From: nagendra prasad on
Hi All,

I need help in setting up a home server. I know the subject line looks like
an off topic but trust me its not. What I want is to set up a WAMP server
over the intranet. I have a laptop and 2 desktop. I want to set up a desktop
like a wamp server locally so that I can able to use or able to work from my
other systems as well locally. I hope I made my point clear. If not please
do let me know.

Best,
Guru.
From: Phansys Corp on
Hi nagendra prasad.
If all the PC's are on the same network, the only thing you should do is
turn on the wamp server and check the httpd.conf file policies on "Allow
from".
Best regards.

From: "Systems" on

The only thing to remember is that the firewall settings on the wamp / xampp
machine have to be set to allow incoming connections. Then you can reach the
server by IP.
I would share the htdocs folder of the server (and map it on the other
workstations) , so you can make changes to the working web installation
directly from any machine.

From: nagendra prasad on
Hi all,

Thanks everyone. I just tried all of your suggestions and found that WAMP
server is working by using the running WAMP server's system IP. I just typed
192.168.1.4 in the address bar and its working now. So, I came to a
conclusion that if I have a static IP then I can access it from out side as
well right. Correct me if I am wrong ?? So, if I am right is it possible to
run a server from home ??

Best,
Guru.
From: "Warren Vail" on
The IP you cited Is the IP provided by your router or modem, and not one
others from "out side" can use to access your server. Now on the other side
of that, if you go to the machine that has the WAMP installed and open a
browser and point it to "http://what.is.my.ip.com" you may see the "public
IP" for that machine, which can be used for linking to your server, but is
not guaranteed to stay with that machine depending on powering up and down
of your systems, and your ISP's procedures for assigning IP's.

Hope this helps,

Warren Vail
Vail Systems Technology