From: Andrew on
Emmy wrote:
> Thank you all for the advice and tips. I had no idea it would be this
> complicated. I am not a computer guru to begin with and this project
> has become too
> intense for me. I think I will let him enter all his data manually.
>
> Again thank you.
> Emmy
>
> "Bernie" <bernie(a)notreally.com> wrote in message
>> OK, then instead of backing up to diskettes or a CD, create a new
>> directory on the harddrive on the old machine. Have Quicken make a
>> Backup to that directory. Then e-mail that directory to the new
>> machine. (You can even zip the directory before e-mailing and unzip
>> on the receiving end). Once you have the directory on the new
>> harddrive you should be able to do a Quicken restore.
>>
>> On 7/15/2005 1:15 PM, Emmy wrote:
>>> My friends does not have a burner in his old computer. I took his
>>> floppies and burned the data to a cd so he could use that but
>>> Quicken did not accept the files. I tried to have him do what
>>> Laura suggested but that didn't work either. He managed to get as
>>> far as going to My Documents and clicking ok but it just referred
>>> him back to My Documents. He is trying to resign to the fact that he may
>>> have to add over 600
>>> items manually - he's not a happy camper. I have done all I know
>>> to do for him.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any other suggestions? Or maybe could someone give
>>> their phone number and tell me the best time to call. I could go
>>> over to his house, call you
>>> and see if you can troubleshoot this? I live in San Francisco, Ca
>>> so I am on PDT (it is now 11:13 AM)
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Emmy
>>>

>>> "Bernie" <bernie(a)notreally.com> wrote in message

Emily - I strongly urge you to relax and re-think the idea of having him
RE-ENTER all the data. The options people mentioned here are not too
ominous, and in fact, aren't Quicken specific in most (if not all the
suggestions), but are rather typical ways to move data from one machine to
the other. Why not try to find someone in your area to help you in person
if you can't figure it out yourself? Retyping data is NOT what productivity
aids like Q and PCs are supposed to make you do!!

Regards -

- Andrew