From: Dave C. on
On Apr 17, 2:25 pm, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
> Some of the HP (and other) printers will be permanently damaged if air
> gets into the print system.  On these printers, if you are refilling
> cartridges (which, in these cases, are just ink tanks), do not let them
> get completely empty (genuine OEM cartridges will stop printing before
> this happens, but refillable units "cheat" this system, which involves a
> chip in the cartridge and sensors in the printer).
>
> It's not safe to assume that ink from one printer/cartridge series will
> work in a different series.  Some of the inks are pigment based, some
> are dye based, and there are [SIGNIFICANT] chemical differences between
> the inks in different print systems.
>
> The safest units to refill are those where the PRINTHEAD is part of the
> cartridge.  Refilling cartridges in which the printhead is permanent is
> dangerous and I don't recommend it.  It's too easy to screw up the
> printer, and you have no way of knowing the actual quality and
> compatibility of the stuff you are putting into the printer.
>
> There is more going on in an inkjet printer than meets the eye, and
> things are not as obvious as they seem.  For one example, some 3rd party
> inks have a composition that destroys printheads not at once, but over a
> period of a year or so.  And people don't understand that the reason
> that HP shuts down printing with an "expired" cartridge is because the
> solvents do, slowly evaporate from new, unused ink cartridges (which are
> NOT sealed airtight), and this raises the viscosity of the ink, leading
> to clogging and printhead destruction.  It's not JUST to get you to buy
> more cartridges.
>
> If you shop carefully, you can save a ton of money on ink.  For example,
> join OfficeMax's "perks club" and they have sales and promotions that
> can cut the cost of ink far more than in half.  This may make more sense
> than refilling.
>

> Dave C. wrote:
> > I am considering a new printer HP Deskjet F4480 which uses series HP
> > 60 cartridges.
>
> > Bulk ink is sold for these cartridges.  The question is: do these
> > refill reliably or when the level is "empty" would the printer be
> > inhibited to print?  I seemed to have that kind of problem with my
> > recent new 97/96 cartridges.  (That printer now has mechanically
> > failed.)
>
> > Also, I have some bulk ink for the 96/97 cartridges.  I wonder if this
> > ink would be compatible with the 60 series.  I can ask the ink
> > supplier that question.  (I have a little color left over but still
> > have 8 oz of pigmented black.)
>
> > Otherwise, this printer/scanner looks good for my home needs.
>
> > The retailer also has printers using the 940 series (or was it 920 or
> > 960) where there there were four separate cartridges for color and
> > black.  Are these refillable?
>
> > Any information would be helpful.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Dave C.

Thanks, Barry, for all that informations. The cartridges in this
printer head part of the cartridge. And I will be cautious about the
bulk inks.

Regards,

Dave C.
From: DJT on
I use HP57 colour in one printer and HP95 in another.

The tri-colour inks are not compatible.

The black cartridges HP56 & HP98 both use the same ink and are
compatible.

The colour ink is more likely to be different between printers

DJT

From: Dave C. on
On Apr 18, 1:30 am, DJT <dt...(a)hotmail.com.au> wrote:
> [...]
> >> I am considering a new printer HP Deskjet F4480 which uses series HP
> >> 60 cartridges.
>
> >> Bulk ink is sold for these cartridges.  The question is: do these
> >> refill reliably or when the level is "empty" would the printer be
> >> inhibited to print?  I seemed to have that kind of problem with my
> >> recent new 97/96 cartridges.  (That printer now has mechanically
> >> failed.)
>
> >> Also, I have some bulk ink for the 96/97 cartridges.  I wonder if this
> >> ink would be compatible with the 60 series.  I can ask the ink
> >> supplier that question.  (I have a little color left over but still
> >> have 8 oz of pigmented black.)
>
> >> Otherwise, this printer/scanner looks good for my home needs.
>
> >> The retailer also has printers using the 940 series (or was it 920 or
> >> 960) where there there were four separate cartridges for color and

Well, a couple of days ago I bought an HP Deskjet F4480 printer/
scanner. The software never installed without errors. I uninstalled
completely and reinstalled it three times. I turned off my antivirus
and firewall, etc. to no avail. I have 14 days to return it or
replace it to the retailer. Its going back tomorrow.

I think this is a bottom end printer and for unknown reasons, the
software was not compatible with my system.

Dell PC, XP Pro, plenty of memory.