From: Dave C. on
I am considering a new printer HP Deskjet F4480 which uses series HP
60 cartridges.

Bulk ink is sold for these cartridges. The question is: do these
refill reliably or when the level is "empty" would the printer be
inhibited to print? I seemed to have that kind of problem with my
recent new 97/96 cartridges. (That printer now has mechanically
failed.)

Also, I have some bulk ink for the 96/97 cartridges. I wonder if this
ink would be compatible with the 60 series. I can ask the ink
supplier that question. (I have a little color left over but still
have 8 oz of pigmented black.)

Otherwise, this printer/scanner looks good for my home needs.

The retailer also has printers using the 940 series (or was it 920 or
960) where there there were four separate cartridges for color and
black. Are these refillable?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Dave C.

From: Dave C. on
On Apr 15, 1:42 am, buddy b <bud...(a)yippy.ti.ye> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:33:29 -0700 (PDT), "Dave C." <cardare...(a)c4.net>
> wrote:
>

> >I am considering a new printer HP Deskjet F4480 which uses series HP
> >60 cartridges.
>
> >Bulk ink is sold for these cartridges.  The question is: do these
> >refill reliably or when the level is "empty" would the printer be
> >inhibited to print?  I seemed to have that kind of problem with my
> >recent new 97/96 cartridges.  (That printer now has mechanically
> >failed.)
>
> >Also, I have some bulk ink for the 96/97 cartridges.  I wonder if this
> >ink would be compatible with the 60 series.  I can ask the ink
> >supplier that question.  (I have a little color left over but still
> >have 8 oz of pigmented black.)
>
> >Otherwise, this printer/scanner looks good for my home needs.
>
> >The retailer also has printers using the 940 series (or was it 920 or
> >960) where there there were four separate cartridges for color and
> >black.  Are these refillable?
>
> >Any information would be helpful.
>
> >Thanks
>
> >Dave C.
>
> I like the Lexmark series all in one 805 and 605(cheaper.) at BJ`s.
> Bought both recently. 605 was $99.95, 150 on website. 805 IS NOT ON SALE
> NOW.
>
> They sell there for $50 to 100 cheaper than Lexmark sells them for on
> their web site.
> They are also very reasonable on ink that can be ordered from their web
> site shipping free with the mailers furnished.
> Both these printers are wired/wireless and duplex print, among other
> things.
>         Regards
>         buddy b

I never thought of Lexmark but will take a look at them.

Thanks,

Dave C.
From: DJT on
<cardarelli(a)c4.net> wrote:

>I am considering a new printer HP Deskjet F4480 which uses series HP
>60 cartridges.
>
>Bulk ink is sold for these cartridges. The question is: do these
>refill reliably or when the level is "empty" would the printer be
>inhibited to print? I seemed to have that kind of problem with my
>recent new 97/96 cartridges. (That printer now has mechanically
>failed.)
>
>Also, I have some bulk ink for the 96/97 cartridges. I wonder if this
>ink would be compatible with the 60 series. I can ask the ink
>supplier that question. (I have a little color left over but still
>have 8 oz of pigmented black.)
>
>Otherwise, this printer/scanner looks good for my home needs.
>
>The retailer also has printers using the 940 series (or was it 920 or
>960) where there there were four separate cartridges for color and
>black. Are these refillable?
>
>Any information would be helpful.
>
>Thanks
>
>Dave C.

If you are going to refill the cartridges don't let them get empty.
refill when half empty as cartridge could be damaged if the ink runs
out.

That is the way I lose a cartridge that I have been refilling
From: Dave C. on
On Apr 15, 7:26 pm, DJT <dt...(a)hotmail.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:33:29 -0700 (PDT), "Dave C."
>

> <cardare...(a)c4.net> wrote:
> >I am considering a new printer HP Deskjet F4480 which uses series HP
> >60 cartridges.
>
> >Bulk ink is sold for these cartridges.  The question is: do these
> >refill reliably or when the level is "empty" would the printer be
> >inhibited to print?  I seemed to have that kind of problem with my
> >recent new 97/96 cartridges.  (That printer now has mechanically
> >failed.)
>
> >Also, I have some bulk ink for the 96/97 cartridges.  I wonder if this
> >ink would be compatible with the 60 series.  I can ask the ink
> >supplier that question.  (I have a little color left over but still
> >have 8 oz of pigmented black.)
>
> >Otherwise, this printer/scanner looks good for my home needs.
>
> >The retailer also has printers using the 940 series (or was it 920 or
> >960) where there there were four separate cartridges for color and
> >black.  Are these refillable?
>
> >Any information would be helpful.
>
> >Thanks
>
> >Dave C.
>
> If you are going to refill the cartridges don't let them get empty.
> refill when half empty as cartridge could be damaged if the ink runs
> out.
>
> That is the way I lose a cartridge that I have been refilling

Thanks, will do. Tomorrow I am going to pick up the F4480.

Regards, Dave C.
From: Barry Watzman on
Some of the HP (and other) printers will be permanently damaged if air
gets into the print system. On these printers, if you are refilling
cartridges (which, in these cases, are just ink tanks), do not let them
get completely empty (genuine OEM cartridges will stop printing before
this happens, but refillable units "cheat" this system, which involves a
chip in the cartridge and sensors in the printer).

It's not safe to assume that ink from one printer/cartridge series will
work in a different series. Some of the inks are pigment based, some
are dye based, and there are [SIGNIFICANT] chemical differences between
the inks in different print systems.

The safest units to refill are those where the PRINTHEAD is part of the
cartridge. Refilling cartridges in which the printhead is permanent is
dangerous and I don't recommend it. It's too easy to screw up the
printer, and you have no way of knowing the actual quality and
compatibility of the stuff you are putting into the printer.

There is more going on in an inkjet printer than meets the eye, and
things are not as obvious as they seem. For one example, some 3rd party
inks have a composition that destroys printheads not at once, but over a
period of a year or so. And people don't understand that the reason
that HP shuts down printing with an "expired" cartridge is because the
solvents do, slowly evaporate from new, unused ink cartridges (which are
NOT sealed airtight), and this raises the viscosity of the ink, leading
to clogging and printhead destruction. It's not JUST to get you to buy
more cartridges.

If you shop carefully, you can save a ton of money on ink. For example,
join OfficeMax's "perks club" and they have sales and promotions that
can cut the cost of ink far more than in half. This may make more sense
than refilling.