From: Andrew on
Am 01.05.2010 16:02, schrieb wallgreen(a)online.com:

> I'm confused. Seems there are so many different versions and types of
> XP.

It appears you are not so fammiliar with computers. No offense. There
are several ways to help you. If your computer works allright the
easiest way to "transfer" your HD to a bigger one is to take your HD and
the bigger one to someone who has a disk-clonig software installed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

If your computer however is without SP2 or without SP3 i hope it has at
least an anti virus software installed. It would not be a mistake to
bring your computer up to date since XP is no longer supported and
updates for SP2 will soon end

Andrew
From: relic on

<wallgreen(a)online.com> wrote in message
> I'm confused. Seems there are so many different versions and types of
> XP. I know there's the Home Edition, Professional Edition, and I
> believe there are others. Then there's the original ver. SP2 SP3, and
> God only knows what else.
>
> (How many different XP's are there anyhow?)
>
> I bought my computer as USED. It came with everything installed, but
> no CD to reinstall. It has a product code number on the case, listed
> for XP Professional. But it does not say what version, like SP 2 or
> SP 3. I can only assume it's the original one.
>
> I'm looking to get a hold of a CD so I can reinstall it on a larger
> hard drive. I was told I can not merely copy it to a new drive, so I
> guess I must reinstall.
>
> My questions is what CD do I need to get? Obviously I need the
> Professional Version. But does that mean I need the FIRST one, or can
> I get a copy of SP2 or SP3? (or did they even sell those?).
>
> Ok, once I get a CD, lets say I get the original, I will then need to
> download all the upgrades, and I know they're huge files. I only have
> dialup internet, so I will need to get a friend with high speed
> internet to download it for me. Does that mean I have to take my
> computer to the friends house, or can he download it and burn it to CD
> for me?
>
> Finally, if I start with the original XP, do I need to get SP2 and get
> SP3, or can the original be upgraded directly to SP3? (I assume there
> is no SP4 yet, or is there?)
>
> Lastly, once I get XP installed and upgraded, is there a way to copy
> some files from my present installation so I dont have to reinstall
> all the programs?
>
> Thanks
>
> Wally Green

If your sticker says it's XP Pro, you need XP Pro OEM (There wouldn't be any
sticker if it was a Retail version). The Service Pack level isn't important;
you can slipstream it to the SP3 level before you install it. (An original
XP Pro CD would need either SP1 or SP2 slipstreamed before adding SP3.)

From: chrisv on

>>> I'm confused. Seems there are so many different versions and types of
>>> XP.
>>
>>It appears you are not so fammiliar with computers. No offense. There
>>are several ways to help you. If your computer works allright the
>>easiest way to "transfer" your HD to a bigger one is to take your HD and
>>the bigger one to someone who has a disk-clonig software installed
>>

> Actually, I AM familiar with computers, but not with XP. I have
> always used Win98 or earlier, as well as Dos.
> I just finally decided to begin learning XP, and got a used computer
> much more up to date than my old one. It came with XP installed;
>
> Please name some disk cloning software. I'm sure I can run it, if I
> know what to get. The article mentioned "Ghost" is that still
> available, and any good?

Ghost is okay, but it's now a Symantec product; I never buy or use Symantec
products!
Acronis True Image is a better choice.

> I think Partition Magic can do this, but I
> have an older version of it (ver 8).

Please, toss it. the older PM and NTFS really don't get along. If you feel a
need for Disk Formatting/Partitioning software, and you can't get the job
done with XP's Disk Manager;
1. learn Disk Manager
2. use Acronis's Disk Director

Also, Partition Magic is now a Symantec product.

>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning
>>
>>If your computer however is without SP2 or without SP3 i hope it has at
>>least an anti virus software installed. It would not be a mistake to
>>bring your computer up to date since XP is no longer supported and
>>updates for SP2 will soon end
>>

> The seller upgraded to SP3 and any other latest XP upgrades, including
> IE8. I just bought the computer a month ago and he said it was up to
> date at that time. It included AV software and some other programs.
> He even got the AV software latest definitions for the day I bought
> it.
>
> If I clone the HD, will I need to re-activate with MS?

No, but you need to clone it properly; how you do the reboot after the
cloning is crucial.

> And finally, can I get the upgrades on a Cd or flash stick? Like I
> said, I can not upgrade online. Not on my slow dialup service. I can
> get a friend to download it if it can be done in this way. Yea, it's
> up to date now, but if I need more upgrades, that is the only way,
> unless it's just a tiny file..

Normally, a download of the OS you have slipstreamed with SP3 is all you
need (you have a Key on the sticker). Since you use dial-up, an Image disk
may be better for you (Acronis
True Image can create it).

> Yea, I know XP will soon be no longer supported, but there is no way
> in hell that I will run Vista, and I doubt this computer would run
> Win7. Switching from Win98 to XP is tough enough and I dont see any
> reason I'd want or need Win7. I think XP will be around and used for
> many years, just like 98 was. In all honesty, I'd stick with 98 if I
> could. I hate changing and relearning a new OS, plus 98 has always
> worked fine for me. But it seems like I need XP for half the stuff I
> want to do now.

Win98SE =solid.
WinME = solid if an upgrade from 98, otherwise an abject failure.
Win2000 = solid.
WinXP = good, but it slows considerably with age; a reinstall fixes it. I
found that very annoying.
WinVista = flaky.
Win7 = solid.

From: harkawy on
On May 1, 11:10 pm, wallgr...(a)online.com wrote:
> On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:01:33 +0200, Andrew <vnc_serv...(a)t-online.de>
> wrote:
>
> >Am 01.05.2010 16:02, schrieb wallgr...(a)online.com:
>
> >> I'm confused.  Seems there are so many different versions and types of
> >> XP.
>
> >It appears you are not so fammiliar with computers. No offense. There
> >are several ways to help you. If your computer works allright the
> >easiest way to "transfer" your HD to a bigger one is to take your HD and
> >the bigger one to someone who has a disk-clonig software installed
>
> Actually, I AM familiar with computers, but not with XP.  I have
> always used Win98 or earlier, as well as Dos.
> I just finally decided to begin learning XP, and got a used computer
> much more up to date than my old one.  It came with XP installed;
>
> Please name some disk cloning software.  I'm sure I can run it, if I
> know what to get.  The article mentioned "Ghost" is that still
> available, and any good?  I think Partition Magic can do this, but I
> have an older version of it (ver 8).
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning
>
> >If your computer however is without SP2 or without SP3 i hope it has at
> >least an anti virus software installed. It would not be a mistake to
> >bring your computer up to date since XP is no longer supported and
> >updates for SP2 will soon end
>
> The seller upgraded to SP3 and any other latest XP upgrades, including
> IE8.  I just bought the computer a month ago and he said it was up to
> date at that time.  It included AV software and some other programs.
> He even got the AV software latest definitions for the day I bought
> it.
>
> If I clone the HD, will I need to re-activate with MS?
>
> And finally, can I get the upgrades on a Cd or flash stick?  Like I
> said, I can not upgrade online.  Not on my slow dialup service.  I can
> get a friend to download it if it can be done in this way.  Yea, it's
> up to date now, but if I need more upgrades, that is the only way,
> unless it's just a tiny file..
>
> Yea, I know XP will soon be no longer supported, but there is no way
> in hell that I will run Vista, and I doubt this computer would run
> Win7. Switching from Win98 to XP is tough enough and I dont see any
> reason I'd want or need Win7.  I think XP will be around and used for
> many years, just like 98 was.  In all honesty, I'd stick with 98 if I
> could.  I hate changing and relearning a new OS, plus 98 has always
> worked fine for me.  But it seems like I need XP for half the stuff I
> want to do now.
>
> Thanks
>

> >Andrew

Ghost is still available. Check out E-bay.
Ghost has saved my "backdoor" more than once.